Yours first house

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
1981, New Southgate, London. A two bedroom terraced house in a rundown state. Myself and MrsP paid £26,000. for it. Rewired, re-plumbed, put in a new kitchen and decorated throughout. It still had many original features from when it was built in 1905. We made it a lovely first home, I still have fond memories of the place. Sold it in 1986 for £53,000.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Missed the boat in Britain. Whilst I'm only early forties, I was never earning enough in the nineties/early noughties to get on the property ladder. Then by the time I was earning, the price of a deposit was way beyond me and I was looking at never reaching the property ladder.

Then I moved to Germany, where property prices were a lot more realistic and four years ago I purchased my one and only house. It needed a lot of renovation, which I mostly did myself, but now I have a modern house with four bedrooms and about 120 square metres of living space. quite modest by German standards. However I'll be able to clear my mortgage by the time I retire, something that would have been impossible in Britain. Due to German taxation rules I won't be able to sell this one for another 6 years, but then I don't really have any intention of going anywhere, I'm happy here.

I'm sitting in it right now. Bought with the ex a bit over 17 years ago, then bought him out when we split in 2011. To be honest I don't (and never did) particularly like it, but I can afford the (tiny by contemporary standards) mortgage even on my miniscule income and there's absolutely no way I could afford to move! So it'll do :smile: It's too small and very scruffy and needs stuff doing that i can't possibly afford to do but I have sorted the dodgy external doors, the failed double glazing, the clapped out boiler and the leaking roof in the past 6 years.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Terraced house in Narborough in 1980 for £12,000, sold my half when we split and made back everything I'd paid out on the mortgage. It's worth a quarter of a million now.

Freds Dad

Veteran
My first house was a 2 bed terraced in Kearsley near Bolton. We paid £6,800 for it in 1982, split up in 1985 and sold it for £11,000.

Our current house is a large 4 bed dormer bungalow which was purchased 23 years ago for £60,000, we paid the mortgage off 18 months ago and recently had it valued at £385,000. The kids have moved out and although we have talked about down sizing we have great neighbours in our quiet cul-de-sac and enjoy living here.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Moved to Middlesbrough late 1992 and bought a 3 bed semi on the day they announced interest rate rise to 17%, at a cost of £47,500. Sold it in 1998 and rented for a while, buying the house I have now in Dewsbury for £173,000 in 2004 in the middle of the last big price rise. That'll be paid for in the next couple of years and it's worth a bit more now than when we bought it.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
£10000 for a 3 bed semi with garage in Stourbridge, 1978.
We were renting it at the time when the landlord wanted to sell it for the market value of £11500. As we were sitting tenants we negotiated a £1500 discount.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Billed as a 2 bedroom 'luxury apartment ' with gold taps and all!

The developer had gone bust and we bought it for £40k, which was less than half of the original price. This was in 1991 in Ivybridge, Devon.

We lived there for about 3 years. The residents were the management company. As ever some people, including me did lots. Out of the 18 apartments there were roughly a third who did nothing to help. I'll leave you to work out who moaned the most!

We sold it for £4K profit. The gold was wearing off the taps.

Venod

Eh up
A 2 bedroom semi bungalow £6,300 1974 sold 5 years later about £10,500 we bought an ex police 3 bed semi for less than we sold the bungalow for, lived there for 22 years and moved to a four bedroom detched, its too big for the 2 of us, but we like the house the street and the neighbours, and the spare bedrooms come in handy when the grandchidren stay.

Glenn

Veteran
My first house was bought in the mid 80's just before interest rates shot up to 16 - 18%, it was a 3 bedroom chalet style home in Forres, paid £36k for it, 9 years later it sold for £54k.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A three bedroomed terraced house in Shepherds Bush, London, in 1985. I bought it with a friend who was earning a lot more than me so he bought 75% of it and I bought the rest. In 1988 we sold up because I wanted to get married. We split the profit 75/25 and I moved to the house two doors away with my wife. We're still here, in no hurry to move.

Brains

Legendary Member
1980: We paid £19,800 for a 2 bed townhouse with structural issues in Lewisham
We have rented it out for the last 20 years, its worth 20 X what we paid for it today !

D

Deleted member 1258

Our first house was in a back Street in Earlsdon in Coventry. A tiny Edwardian two up two down with a single story extension on the back containing the kitchen and bathroom. Cost £10500, I paid a £500 deposit and took out a £10000 mortgage, the most I could afford on my storekeeper's wages. We moved out 15 years later having outgrown it, both our lads were born whilst we lived there. We got £35000 for it when we sold it and used the money to finance the purchase of our next house.

Top Bottom