Yours first house

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
£445,000

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
1986. 18k for 3 bed semi. Moved out in '90 still have it and I have the same tenants in there. I've asked them several times over the last 27 years if they wanted to buy it but they don't. I even put the rent up by £20 in 2000 thinking that might make them do the numbers but it didn't. Ah well...

For whatever reason, some people simply do not want to buy. One of my Sisters-in-Law lives in a very nice "Council" property. She has been a "council" tenant since she was 21 (now 73). She could buy the property for less than the cost of a secondhand car (with relevant discounts etc), live in it, rent free, for the rest of her days, then leave (what is a £120,000 property) to her three sons. But, her rationale for not doing this is, she would have to take responsibility for looking after the "fabric" of the house.

Reactions: gbb

C R

Guru
Our first house was a lovely two up two down stone terrace in Hollingworth, near Glossop. 81K in 2003. One of the bedrooms was quite small as space was taken to make room for the bathroom, and it still had a working loo outside! It was in fairly good nick, but we made lots of changes and put in a lot of work to make it our own.

Nine months after buying work situation went south for both of us, and had to move away from the area for new jobs. It broke our hart to leave that house, but as a silver lining, in just about a year the crazy house price race meant we made about 5K after selling.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've never had my own place, but I moved into my wife's house 7 years ago and my name is on the mortgage. I still feel most at home in my parents' bungalow.

My Dad and Grandad moved to our family home in 1971. They quickly built my Grandparents' bungalow in a neighbouring field which they now rent out. Then my Dad built an extension to their bungalow (2 bedrooms, a lounge and a bathroom). Then he converted the utility room to a shower room, and converted the loft into another bedroom and small lounge. He also built a breakfast room where the patio used to be. Finally, he built a granny flat on the end of the first extension. I'd love to live there one day.

gbb

Legendary Member
For whatever reason, some people simply do not want to buy. One of my Sisters-in-Law lives in a very nice "Council" property. She has been a "council" tenant since she was 21 (now 73). She could buy the property for less than the cost of a secondhand car (with relevant discounts etc), live in it, rent free, for the rest of her days, then leave (what is a £120,000 property) to her three sons. But, her rationale for not doing this is, she would have to take responsibility for looking after the "fabric" of the house.
TBF its horses for courses. My son lives in a council house, has a pretty stable well paying job but has no interest in buying it (with a healthy discount thrown in). He always said...i dont want the hassle, the possibility of something major happening, i'm happy where i am.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
@ianrauk has recently announced that his new abode is in Barming. The first house I ever bought was in Barming. In 1966! It cost me £3950.00. I laid awake for weeks wondering how I would afford the payments !

I lived in Barming up to the age of 13 (1972-1986). Maryland Drive. Were we neighbours?

As an adult, I lived in rented accommodation until I moved in with my partner, who already owned her own house. So I never actually bought my first house, just had my name added to her mortgage.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Radcliffe near Bury, bought for £18,250 in 1981.
It could though have been anywhere in the country. Her first job and at the time I could probably have secured a transfer to most parts of the UK through my employer.

Jody

Stubborn git
Basically if you bought a house pre 2000's you have made an absolute mint.

U

User169

Terraced house in deepest darkest Hackney for 210k in 2001. My wife told me last week they now go for 1.2M.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
1996, 3-bed semi in Liverpool £69,500
2008, sold it for about £175,000 (if we had sold it in 2007 we probably would have got £200,000+ :sad: ^_^:smile: )

There was a time around 2004/2005 that the increase in the price of the house month on month, was more than my net pay !!!!

Top Bottom