Yours first house

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Markymark I can't believe that you let this one go?
Someone who moved from London to Yorkshire should never be spoken of again.

GM

Legendary Member
Not a house but a one bedroom flat in a tree lined road in Bush Hill Park, for £12,500 back in the hot summer of 1976. Sold it 5 years later to someone who did very well for himself and became a Sir.

C R

Guru
Y
Not a house but a one bedroom flat in a tree lined road in Bush Hill Park, for £12,500 back in the hot summer of 1976. Sold it 5 years later to someone who did very well for himself and became a Sir.
You should have kept it, you might be a Sir now!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Someone who moved from London to Yorkshire should never be spoken of again.

A friend of mine did exactly that 3 years ago; safety, children's education and a better environment were their reasons for the move :tongue:

We bought our first house (a two bedroomed terrace house dated from the mid 1800's in Northfleet, Kent) in 1979 for £9200.
With a bit of doing up, we sold it the following year for £18,500 and moved to a house on a modern estate at the edge of town, where we lived for the next 33 years.....

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Two and half bed terrace in Watford (Herts) for about £48k in 1986, something like 3* our joint income. Quite cheap as it was a 'project' (that never got completed). We'd have preferred Harrow but our budget only bough a flat there.

Sold it in 1990 in a falling market but made a gain of £20k. Rented a 3 bed detached in our current village and bought it off landlord a year later for £60k. It'd been on the market in the boom for £85k and seemed a bargain at £60 but in fact I think we over offered and should have either gone lower or stretched for a four bed repo we looked at where, if we'd bought, we'd still live now.

Sold £60k place at a modest loss in 1998 and moved to present 4 bed at £110k. Now worth about £375k and mortgage free. Mrs B and I rattle round on our own but having a study each is a boon. Will stay a bit longer as while I could probably work in any Citizens Advice she's tied to Oxford Brookes Uni - working towards a PhD.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
@ianrauk has recently announced that his new abode is in Barming. The first house I ever bought was in Barming. In 1966! It cost me £3950.00. I laid awake for weeks wondering how I would afford the payments !

Yours?

1979. £10800. 2 bedroom terraced brand new. NW Kent. Age 22. Salary £8800 which was a v.good salary for my age back then.

The inheritance thing bugs me a little. I have a very modest house worth IRO £140k although given a crash, that could easily evaporate. But, if I popped my clogs, £140k plus my personal 'wealth', shared 3 ways...minimum of say 50k each. But none of my kids want to buy their houses, they'e all quite settled in council houses.
So what'll they do with it ? It'l be gone in 5 years, everything I worked for :cry:

That sounds grumpy or moaning...its not, I just feel a bit 'meh that's what'll probably happen. It doesnt really matter, I'll be gone.

This issue used to bother me quite a bit. Lovely Wife couldn't give a fig. Over the years I've drifted more in her general direction and I'm not so fussed about what the pair of them do with ours/their dosh. They'll have a £lots sum to go halves on and based on their current ability to manage money I daresay they'll do their best to blitz through it.

Hopefully, they'll not get it for another 20-25 years when they will be around 55-60 themselves (our current approx' ages) and they may have a better attitude to money by then.

Mind you what's a 'better attitude'?

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
We bought our first house (a two bedroomed terrace house dated from the mid 1800's in Northfleet, Kent) in 1979 for £9200.
With a bit of doing up, we sold it the following year for £18,500 and moved to a house on a modern estate at the edge of town, where we lived for the next 33 years.....

Small world.

I lived with my mum in Northfleet until I was 21 - Tennyson Walk.

First house I bought was on the Hever Court Farm development out by the A2 not far from Nell's Café - I wonder if that's still there?

Top Bottom