Youtube users what road cycling channels do you watch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Ben Delaney (former BikeRadar US editor, amongst his previous jobs) has his own YT channel, The Ride. Most excellent stuff. Good industry connections but he's no shill, he'll tell you if something isn't up to snuff. Majority of his topics so far gravel but still plenty for roadies.

Mike_P

Guru
The better GCN stuff is not on YouTube but GCN+. Some of it, the cycling adventure stuff, would be worthy of an outing on main TV channel like the one on Colombia and coffee
View: https://facebook.com/globalcyclingnetwork/videos/colombia-is-a-country-famous-for-coffee-and-cycling-with-beautiful-mountains-and/409712866755473

mustang1

Legendary Member
Not interested in people talking about new and expensive bikes too much. I like to watch maintenance and restoration videos of how bicycles work rather than watch people ride them about when i have the time. But then im also not interested in cycling as a sport. So that does limit me somewhat. But there appears to be no shortage on these types of videos out there.

Oz Cycle
and
Seths Bike Hacks
are pretty good at that. Seths Bike Hacks recently rebranded to Berm Peak and also does a show about buying old bikes, doing them up and selling them.

mustang1

Legendary Member
The better GCN stuff is not on YouTube but GCN+. Some of it, the cycling adventure stuff, would be worthy of an outing on main TV channel like the one on Colombia and coffee
View: https://facebook.com/globalcyclingnetwork/videos/colombia-is-a-country-famous-for-coffee-and-cycling-with-beautiful-mountains-and/409712866755473

Yeah absolutely agree that they have some really good stuff. The rides where they talk about the history and geography of the places they visit are the best. They also have films about various teams, legends of cycling, slow tours and all sorts of cycling content is great. I wouldn't pay more than the current price though. Sometimes I look at the title of the film and think it'll be rubbish but when I start watching it, it turns out to be really good. That Zero to Hero thing was excellent.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The better GCN stuff is not on YouTube but GCN+. Some of it, the cycling adventure stuff, would be worthy of an outing on main TV channel like the one on Colombia and
I don't doubt that much of it will pop up on Discovery or Eurosport once it gets a bit older and its use as bait for us GCN+ subscribers has declined. It must cost a fair bit to produce.

Going off topic but does anyone remember Italian series where two Italian ex pros (Paulo Savodelli and someone else) rode up climbs wittering on to each other in Italian about this and that, the old days, mama's cooking, Miguel Indurain's socks and so on all voiced over in English very deadpan. It was either utterly boring or completely mesmerising, I couldn't figure out which, but I tended to the latter and watched it a lot.

Anyway ... if that can get broadcast the GCN+ stuff most definitely should.

Windle

Über Member
Most of my televisual viewing is You Tube other than when there's cycling on the terrestrial TV (Giro, TDF etc.). I'll usually have a look at whatever it offers me and keep going back to a few favourites, just general light hearted stuff:

Paul Green cycling vlog, although he's not put many new vids up recently,
Leonard M Lee,
Saddle Sore ~ much Audaxing,
2nd Life Bikes ~ although it sets me off looking for old bikes that I probably don't need!
A couple from the US, Dustin Klein (a bit of a hipster but decent vids) and Tim Fitzwater ~ both gravel focused.

Then when there are events on I'll end up looking for stuff about them:
Chase the Sun North came up last year,
Ride to the Sun,
Manchester to Blackpool,
LEL,

When on the turbo (I've not got into any of that online riding stuff) ~ Pinggoys road bike adventures (Bradford Cycle Club) as it's mainly camera to front stuff to make you feel like you're actually out on the road, although I'd never get up any of those hills as quick in real life anymore!

A bit of a more unusual one is Tour De Glasgow, which I discovered during the first lockdown of three years gone, short five minute-ish vids of riding around (at that time a very quiet) Glasgow.

It's all a bit of a rabbit hole to be honest and I've rambled on long enough :bicycle:!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It must cost a fair bit to produce.

Only relatively.

One of the reasons we have YouTube channels for so many niche activities is it's now possible to produce a reasonably professional looking video for not much money.

A decade or so ago broadcast quality video and outside broadcast quality sound would need kit costing thousands.

Drone shots are becoming cliched, but it's not so long ago anything aerial would mean hiring a helicopter.

GCN+ videos are good enough for mainstream broadcast, but the problem is the subject matter.

Cycling is very much a niche interest, and watching films about cycling is a niche within that niche, which means viewing figures would be pitiful.

Big T

Guru
For Audax - Adam Watkins is quite funny, pointing out piles of dirt as he rides along, and his warning to Watch out for Gout. For maintenance, Ribble Valley Cyclist is quite good.

For general riding stuff, I watch Roy Redman - “Ride with Roy”, and “London Centuries”, who does some epic rides, usually starting and finishing at Big Ben. ”Clipping In” does some great rides around the Yorkshire Dales.

There are also some Australian channels I watch - Shane Miller (GP Lama) for techie stuff and reviews, Cam Nichols for training, racing and bike reviews.

DogmaStu

GCN/GCN+
Willie Smit (South African Pro who has been there, done that, now in the twilight of his career, provides great insight into the life of an 'average' Pro; no offence, Willie if you ever read this! :biggrin: ).
Lanterne Rouge
Alex Dowsett
DC Rainmaker (for new tech)

I don't watch Hambini, he's a very biased individual with a specific 'beef' and nowhere near what he thinks he is.

Last edited:

bobdaspider

Regular
(1) wedu The Move - that features Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie, Johan Bryneel et al. Very informative and interesting chat - is usually aired during the grand tours (recommended)
(2) Lanterne Rouge (recommended)
(3) GCN
(4) Used to watch Francis Cade but have lost interest since his YT channel was rebranded as Cade Media
(5) Cam Nichols

razabbs

Recently started watching Cade Media. My parents moved up to the North-East last year from Manchester and Cade Media are up in the same area. In one video they went into a Decathlon to buy a cheap Triban and I was like 'Hey, that's the Decathlon near home!' Anyway, they seem like nice knowledgeable guys and I just enjoy the videos.

Top Bottom