Youtube users what road cycling channels do you watch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Have so far discovered:
- Vegan Cyclist (I like him)
- Rapha EF Education short films (really like these, mainly because of Lachlan Morton)
- GCN (obvs, bit marmite)
- Dylan Johnson (voice sends me to sleep)
- Lanterne Rouge (also soporific)

What am I missing out on, with regards to (road) cycling?
Or any good one off vids you have seen lately?

Alex321

Veteran
Mainly GCN. Sometimes Road.cc

I also watch some from a few individual cyclists - Katie Kookabura, Ed Laverack, Juliet Elliot, occasionally Francis Cade, Mary Spender, David Arthur (Just Ride Bikes), Ryan Van Duzer.

13 rider

Guru
Add Ed Laverack to your list , hill climber you might go up hill a bit quicker watching him 😄
Puts training over in a easy to understand way without pushing it at you
Just find it easy watch he's an elite athlete just doing his own thing

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Add Ed Laverack to your list , hill climber you might go up hill a bit quicker watching him 😄
Puts training over in a easy to understand way without pushing it at you
Just find it easy watch he's an elite athlete just doing his own thing

Oh, forgot to add Ed Laverack. Ended up in a virtual race with him during lockdown... He was quite good. Planning on trying his 100k route in Llangollen

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Dont really watch GCN anymore since they got bought by Discovery and the old team left. Nothing wrong with the new team at all, but the channel is more or less just for advertising now.

Francis Cade, Trace Velo, your usual riffraff of camera cyclists catching people using their phones while driving and now even NorCalCycling - I dont even race or have a power meter but there is something rather fascinating and exciting about watching small races like these and listening to his commentary.

Since ive also been doing some research into carbon wheels. Ive been catching up on Hambini, Peak Torque and Jourdain Coleman (Jourdain built a quite an expensive looking bike predominantly from parts ordered off aliexpress or another manufacturer in china for a very reasonable sum of money compared to the bigger more popular and predominant market brands - Ive been thinking of doing the same frankly.)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
GCN Racing News.
The general GCN videos are generally crap but I watch them sometimes to remind myself how crap they are. The target audience seems to be hyper-competitive young male cyclists, who do not actually race, but who want to "smash their mates".:eek: I'm not entirely sure how to interpret that. (The last one I watched was something about anaerobic power or similar and used that phrase several times. Or maybe it was just once and it echoed round the inside of my head several times)
Lanterne Rouge. I actually quite like his delivery, but I can see that it's not exactly textbook.
Chris Opie is quite interesting for a view on road racing scene at grassroots level, which is something I know nothing about.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
GCN Racing News.
The general GCN videos are generally crap but I watch them sometimes to remind myself how crap they are. The target audience seems to be hyper-competitive young male cyclists, who do not actually race, but who want to "smash their mates".:eek: I'm not entirely sure how to interpret that. (The last one I watched was something about anaerobic power or similar and used that phrase several times. Or maybe it was just once and it echoed round the inside of my head several times)

Yeah, when I said "mainly GCN" above, I wasn't really thinking it through. I watch much more GCN+ (which isn't Youtube).

Of the actual GCN/GCN Tech youtube channels, I long ago stopped watching any of the "x things you ..." or "x ways to ... " or "why you need ..." type videos. The first two are all things which are blindingly obvious to anybody who has even seen a bike, and the latter is very much aimed at the audience you suggest there.

I do still often watch the weekly GCN show and GCN tech show, and some of their other "entertainment" videos.

Lanterne Rouge. I actually quite like his delivery, but I can see that it's not exactly textbook.
You are the second person mentioning that channel. I hadn't come across it, but will give it a look.

Chris Opie is quite interesting for a view on road racing scene at grassroots level, which is something I know nothing about.

Not something I am all that interested in TBH - I'll never be a racer myself, having come into cycling seriously rather late, and while I very much enjoy watching elite level racing, I'm not quite so sure about grass roots level. But I might give that channel a try, see if I do enjoy it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not something I am all that interested in TBH - I'll never be a racer myself, having come into cycling seriously rather late, and while I very much enjoy watching elite level racing, I'm not quite so sure about grass roots level. But I might give that channel a try, see if I do enjoy it.
Same here, never raced and never will. But it's kind of interesting and engaging and good to contrast with the World Tour razamatazz.

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Same here, never raced and never will. But it's kind of interesting and engaging and good to contrast with the World Tour razamatazz.

I was interested in watching World Tour cycling before I was into cycling myself. Used to come home from school and watch the Tour de France on Channel 4 with Phil Liggett. I had a road bike for a short time and did go and time myself on a quarter mile stretch of road near to where McLaren's headquarters are now. But I buckled the wheels coming down a hill with speed bumps. Was then 30 years before I got on a road bike again.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Not interested in people talking about new and expensive bikes too much. I like to watch maintenance and restoration videos of how bicycles work rather than watch people ride them about when i have the time. But then im also not interested in cycling as a sport. So that does limit me somewhat. But there appears to be no shortage on these types of videos out there.

mustang1

Guru
I don't really watch many bike videos any more but I do occasionally watch:
LeonardMLee
David Arthur Cycling
Sportive Cyclist

Used to watch:
Julian Hutchings - it's actually a good channel but I think he side tracked into Bromptons perhaps
GCN - they used to be really good with Matt/Dan/Simon were the main presenters, their "challenges" were really interesting to watch although I think the producer showed too many clips of Matt's laughing just before he left. Uhm, the new presenters are good, but kind of annoying in that one of them keeps doing high fives at every opportunity, the other one makes dry jokes. Simon and Manon are good presenters though.
GCN+ has half of it's videos which were what I wanted, but lately it's turned more into a one-third of the videos are what I like to watch: mainly touring stuff but well done, talking about the history and geography of the places they visit. For example when Simon is involved in a trip, I always make time to watch, and Jenny Graham and Mark Beumont are usually good, but some of the others just talk about how tired they are and how challenging the ride is without talking about anything else - boring. I've thought about cancelling my GCN+ subscription a few times but then they bring out a good video just in time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some of the audaxers make good videos - just type the obvious into YouTube's search box.

A newish channel is Amy Cycling Adventures .

She's a charming young lass from Derbyshire who seems to spend most of her time waiting at the top of hills for her crusty old male audaxing companions.

The channel is mostly audax, but she is doing different things as well.

Interesting to see her report on the freebies which are turning up as the channel grows.

She recently got a trip to the Giro from Santini, and someone else sent her two sets of carbon wheels.

13 rider

Guru
Some of the audaxers make good videos - just type the obvious into YouTube's search box.

A newish channel is Amy Cycling Adventures .

She's a charming young lass from Derbyshire who seems to spend most of her time waiting at the top of hills for her crusty old male audaxing companions.

The channel is mostly audax, but she is doing different things as well.

Interesting to see her report on the freebies which are turning up as the channel grows.

She recently got a trip to the Giro from Santini, and someone else sent her two sets of carbon wheels.
I just discovered this Channel , I saw one and recognised the roads she based in Derby I'm in Leicester so we can cover the same ground . She seems completely amazed that people even watch her stuff yet only getting freebies just comes across as completely natural.
Don't follow her for bike maintenance 😂 her friend Nige comes across quite well

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I don't go out of my way to watch much cycling content on Youtube tbh..

I like Hambini and Luscher Technic(sp) for their objective tech content, although it's largely irrelevant to me as I have no intention of buying another plastic bike. I watch Trace Velo sometimes too for the sheer entertainment value; despite the host basically having exactly the opposite consumer tastes to me.

I sometimes watch GCN, often on 1.5 times speed and skipping about a bit for it's more left of the field stuff (vintage v. new bikes etc) but have a healthy cynicism given its relationship to the industry.

I occasionally get hooked on the stuff upsold to me by youtube - Francis Cade seems alright along with his bike-fitting mate (both of whom I think produce some pretty objective and informative content). Have watched the odd video from Leonard M Lee, although haven't had any served to me recently.

I like the attitude and subject matter of Path Less Pedalled, although being in the US the riding available seems somewhat removed from what we have over here; I think "gravel" trails are a lot more abundent in some places in the states.

I quite like BikeRadar's content too as it seems pretty free of bias and is often entertaining...

Top Bottom