You've got to stay out of the door zone people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Poor chap...

Police are appealing for witnesses following a fatal road collision in
Bromley.

On Saturday 7 January at approximately 18:10hrs a car and a cyclist were
in collision on Upper Elmers End Road, Beckenham.

A blue Fiat Panda was parked on Upper Elmers End Road and as the female
driver was getting out of her car, a pedal cyclist collided with the
driver's door.

The cyclist was taken Kings College Hospital where he remained
unconscious and in a serious condition until he died on Sunday 22
January.

He was James Darby, 44 (23.10.67) of Beckenham. A post mortem gave the
cause of death as head injuries.

Enquiries continue. No arrests have been made.

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has any information is asked to
contact the Collision Investigation Unit at Catford Traffic Garage on
020 8285 1574 or to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
awful. RIP!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oh dear. That's terrible. Thank you for the reminder. You have to stay surprisingly far out in the road to avoid any risk of that. Some people open their doors awfully quickly.

subaqua

What’s the point
Has Bromley moved out of London?

"The death in the City was the first cyclist fatality in London this year, but the 10th across the UK."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16878620

look at the time lines. on the 22nd jan he was the 1st if the bishopsgate one was on 3rd Feb.

Bromley is in Greater London or Kent depending on the news type, good news its Kent bad news its London.

people drivers wonder why i get annoyed with them for shouting at me to get in the cycle lane when it is a door zone.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
B0ll0cks!! I ride that road quite a lot, and it's door city. I hope they do arrest and charge the driver for that dooring. RIP to the rider.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Opening a door on someone without adequate checks first should be a chargeable offense, especially in this case where death occurred. It's shear negligence as a driver, even though the car was parked and the engine off. I would have thought a charge of death by dangerous driving was in order (not sure that would stick because of the non driving part). Perhaps our cycling police friends on here could comment on what possible sanctions could be applied in this sort of case as it's a bit unclear as to what can be applied.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Somewhere around here (streetview image):

http://g.co/maps/a6wcp

400bhp

Guru
Opening a door on someone without adequate checks first should be a chargeable offensce, especially in this case where death occurred. It's shear sheer negligence as a driver, even though the car was parked and the engine off. I would have thought a charge of death by dangerous driving was in order (not sure that would stick because of the non driving part). Perhaps our cycling police friends on here could comment on what possible sanctions could be applied in this sort of case as it's a bit unclear as to what can be applied.

I think it is a chargeable offence? Certainly points at the very least.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The pressure I feel to ride in the door zone along that road, southeast bound, is pretty high as it's uphill enough to keep my speed to 10-15mph, and drivers can get pretty irritated and impatient. The other direction towards Crystal Palace is far easier and I can usually do 30mph. There's still some pressure from drivers behind though.

Opening a door on someone without adequate checks first should be a chargeable offense, especially in this case where death occurred. It's shear negligence as a driver, even though the car was parked and the engine off. I would have thought a charge of death by dangerous driving was in order (not sure that would stick because of the non driving part). Perhaps our cycling police friends on here could comment on what possible sanctions could be applied in this sort of case as it's a bit unclear as to what can be applied.

It is a chargeable offence, inconsiderate opening of a car door. However it's unlikely to carry enough of a serious penalty when death has been caused - and recently due to this they actually charged a male with manslaughter because of it. I'll go look for the links...

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/105/made
That's the law, it's an offence under Construction and Use which means you are looking at a small fine normally in a court, if summonsed for it, so it's not appropriate if death or serious injury is caused, hence the manslaughter charge.

http://road.cc/content/news/51901-m...er-death-last-year-london-cyclist-sam-harding
That's the case with the manslaughter charge.

thefollen

Veteran
I learned all about doorzone avoidance when I was 16 (14 years ago now). Car door opened on me as I was barreling down the road. Left collarbone hit the ridge and snapped on impact, no other injuries of note. Completely my fault since I was cycling home in the dark with no lights, and was very very fortunate the driver didn't seek compensation since it bent his door so it didn't shut. Needless to say I've kept a safe distance and always had my lights since. Seeing this kinda thing makes me realise just how lucky I was!

Find many people in London don't take due care when opening their roadside doors- one bugger in Streatham would've had me were I not a safe distance just the other month.

joggingbob

A terrible incident and a reminder to us all. It does feel sometimes like a balance of not impeding traffic but ensuring your own safety - of course safety must win hands down but you can still feel that you are in the wrong when keeping clear of the door zone in traffic.

Top Bottom