Zebra Crossings and taking a chance crossing the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's one on the road,about 100 yards from where i'm sat. The cars are hurtling down the hill,most of them doing over the 30mph speed limit. The white marking have faded,the yellow lights sometimes work sometimes don't. I don't use it. I prefer to cross higher up the road. I've stopped at the crossing and had cars go past without a care in the world. If it was a Pelican Crossing where a red light comes on telling them to stop i'd use it and even then i've had vehicles cross my path as i'm half way across. What do you think about them? Still useful or an outdated thing that gives us a false sense of security? To me,they were good in the "old day" when there were far less vehicles and those driving them seemed to have more patience and be more polite.

I thought you were going to say that you'd never seen a zebra using one and they are a waste of time

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This twonk was on Room 101 the other week'
Rylan-Clark-Neal-Main.jpg

His main gripe was pedestrians who don't thank the motorist for stopping for them on a Zebra Crossing. Why the hell should they thank the motorist? Ok,if the pedestrian has jumped on the crossing at the last second,causing the approaching vehicle to brake suddenly then yes apologise and thank them,but if the pedestrian is waiting patiently,giving the approaching driver time to stop safely then no way would i thank them.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
This twonk was on Room 101 the other week'
Rylan-Clark-Neal-Main.jpg

His main gripe was pedestrians who don't thank the motorist for stopping for them on a Zebra Crossing. Why the hell should they thank the motorist? Ok,if the pedestrian has jumped on the crossing at the last second,causing the approaching vehicle to brake suddenly then yes apologise and thank them,but if the pedestrian is waiting patiently,giving the approaching driver time to stop safely then no way would i thank them.

That seems to have become a commonly adopted belief doesn't it, that it's some kind of a gracious courtesy to stop at a zebra crossing when a pedestrian has stepped on. I've been abused a couple of times with a phrase along the lines of "don't say thanks then", shouted from the window. I wonder if they thank other cars that have stopped on a red as they cross a junction on green?
I admit that I sometimes thank cars for stopping... I shouldn't have to, and I feel it's that which has caused this misconception in the first place, but it's easier than getting an earful sometimes.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What would happen if a zebra crossed on a zebra crossing?
They'd cancel each other out, like combining fractions in mathematics? :scratch:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On a serious note, a bloke who lives across the road from where i lived with Mrs Accy was hit by a car doing 60mph in a 30mph zone last week. He once told me that he didn't trust zebra crossings and chose to cross where he thought was safe. According to the grapevine,he froze when he saw boy racer approaching. He's now in intensive care with a broken neck and a broken back. http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...k_injuries_after_being_hit_by_a_car/#ICID=IYA

Last edited:
Top Bottom