Zebra Crossings and taking a chance crossing the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Phone up the Boy Scouts and ask them to send round a young man to see you safely across the road - what could go wrong?

classic33

Leg End Member
Phone up the Boy Scouts and ask them to send round a young man to see you safely across the road - what could go wrong?
Thought they'd been stopped from doing that sort of thing, years ago.

JoshM

There's one on the road,about 100 yards from where i'm sat. The cars are hurtling down the hill,most of them doing over the 30mph speed limit. The white marking have faded,the yellow lights sometimes work sometimes don't. I don't use it. I prefer to cross higher up the road. I've stopped at the crossing and had cars go past without a care in the world. If it was a Pelican Crossing where a red light comes on telling them to stop i'd use it and even then i've had vehicles cross my path as i'm half way across. What do you think about them? Still useful or an outdated thing that gives us a false sense of security? To me,they were good in the "old day" when there were far less vehicles and those driving them seemed to have more patience and be more polite.

Yes I know What You mean. You could be crossing the road when a blind driver in a StreetKa hits you because he misjudged the distances...

pplpilot

Guru
I'd love to get inside the heads of those (perhaps not) that cross the road 25 yards in front of a pedestrian crossing then once across the road walk in the direction of the crossing!!! Seriously what is going through the heads of these idiots?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd love to get inside the heads of those (perhaps not) that cross the road 25 yards in front of a pedestrian crossing then once across the road walk in the direction of the crossing!!! Seriously what is going through the heads of these idiots?
At a guess, "Why the fark didn't the council put that crossing on the desire line instead of 25 yards off it?"

Off the top of my head, I can think of about four times as many Zebra crossings installed in inconvenient places off the routes people want to walk (the desire line) as installed conveniently... and one of the ones installed conveniently causes incessant whinging from motorists about how it's a bad place for a crossing (because they can't see people walking up to it from miles away so actually slow to the 20mph limit).

classic33

Leg End Member
At a guess, "Why the fark didn't the council put that crossing on the desire line instead of 25 yards off it?"

Off the top of my head, I can think of about four times as many Zebra crossings installed in inconvenient places off the routes people want to walk (the desire line) as installed conveniently... and one of the ones installed conveniently causes incessant whinging from motorists about how it's a bad place for a crossing (because they can't see people walking up to it from miles away so actually slow to the 20mph limit).
Traffic calming measures on the cheap. That, and they can say they've provided a crossing point.

Two legged traffic calming, who may not want to use the provided point(s) to cross. Multiple boxes ticked in one go.

Speaking personally? "Reclaim the streets!" :evil:

Seriously - the streets are for all, paid for by all. Not by four-wheeled road-tax dodgers.

And for one, I don't intend to cross ONLY at points designed purely for the benefit of said four-wheeled road-tax dodgers. :tongue:

PK99

Legendary Member
What I never understand is I've always understood that if you are driving or on a bike and you see a ped approaching the crossing you slow and prepare to stop in anticipation. If they walk past it so be .

why on earth do that every time someone is walking parallel to a road with a zebra crossing?

sheddy

Legendary Member
What twit decided that we had to have lit beacons in the UK ?

Go to Europe and crossings are positioned every 50m or less - no lights, just paint and dropped kerbs, simple

Reactions: mjr

PK99

Legendary Member
Because the highway code tells you to you, what a mad comment. It specifically even tells you to be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.

it does not tell you to slow just because a pedestrian is walking adjacent to a crossing...

Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

• look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
  • you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
  • allow more time for stopping on wet or icy roads
  • do not wave or use your horn to invite pedestrians across; this could be dangerous if another vehicle is approaching
  • be aware of pedestrians approaching from the side of the crossing.

Top Bottom