Zebra Crossings and taking a chance crossing the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member

it says be aware, it does not say slow down because someone is walking on the pavement near a crossing.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The bloke i know,,involved in that incident i mentioned earlier is in a bad way according to reports. Apart from the broken neck and back,he has a broken,pelvis, leg and arm and has bleeding on the brain. He's in an induced coma for the time being.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What twit decided that we had to have lit beacons in the UK ?

Go to Europe and crossings are positioned every 50m or less - no lights, just paint and dropped kerbs, simple
We now have LED lights around the yellow balls on some. I expect they could be battery-backed solar powered, which would free up the number and locations... but it would need political will to install them and Will seems not to put in an appearance unless it's for motorists.

classic33

Leg End Member
We now have LED lights around the yellow balls on some. I expect they could be battery-backed solar powered, which would free up the number and locations... but it would need political will to install them and Will seems not to put in an appearance unless it's for motorists.
A cheap way of replacing lights.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Rule 19
Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

When I was a mere child many yonks ago, The rule was to wait at the crossing with one foot on the crossing itself. Then the traffic had to stop as technically you were on the crossing. I wouldn't like to try that now,

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think they (zebra crossings) work well. They are only dangerous when drivers fail to obey them. I sometimes thank a driver for stopping in good time, more to say "well done for being alert" than "thanks for letting me cross". I suppose a thumbs up would be a better signal to give.

PK99

Legendary Member
Rule 19

When I was a mere child many yonks ago, The rule was to wait at the crossing with one foot on the crossing itself. Then the traffic had to stop as technically you were on the crossing. I wouldn't like to try that now,

I do that all the time. I stand back from the crossing to let traffic flow then step to the edge and put one foot on the crossing.

Top Bottom