Zen and the art of commuting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winstonsmith

Hello

I've been a lurker in here for some time now. This morning while doing my usual commute through central London, I was in the middle lane through Whitehall a white van man overtook me in the right hand turn lane and then swung back into the left hand turn lane cutting me up. Only to get stuck in traffic less than 2 seconds later.

I pulled up and asked him if it was really necessary and suggested that he waited, I was actually quite polite. This was treated with a torrent of swear words about how I should have signalled while going in the lane that was going straight on. (?)

My question is whether 'having a word' with drivers will actually change their behaviour in future or, as I suspect, will make them detest cyclists even more. Should I buy a helmet camera and adopt a zen like manner in cycling and just use the video afterwards?

buggi

Bird Saviour
how can you signal you're going straight on??? and isn't that a bit rich coming from a white van man... did he signal he was going to turn left across your path?? (pot kettle black etc).

kick his f**kin door in next time Grrrrr.

or yes, invest in a little muvi cam and then take it to the cops, or report him to his employer.

As said to me once, often the best response is sarcasm. you should have pulled up next to him and "applauded" him, then ridden off blowing him a kiss (this also has the effect of calming you down, rather than leaving you in a raging temper)

also, pull up next to numpty drivers, unclip and place your pedal against their paintwork for when they pull off.

Or.. get a personal alarm, pull the cord and lob it through their open window. 210 decibels of handgrenade :biggrin:... in an enclosed space... they will have all day to think about what caused their temporary deafness

or, for car drivers, hang round their back door and as lights are about to change, open the door and ride off quick :angry:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I believe Magnatom of this Parish is selling a Helmet Camera setup if you are interested... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about idiots like that.

I may have been tempted to move in front of his van and study his indicators carefully before announcing that he didn't appear to be indicating to go straight on either... then leaving him fuming in traffic. :angry:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's definitely worth telling the drivers, especially when you do so politely! It's also worth getting a helmet camera and telling them to find their rego on youtube. Company drivers in liveried vehicles most of all, IMO.

I wish I could control my potty mouth at the moment. I'm failing to remain polite and nice.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't think it hasn't been noticed Mikey..:biggrin:

BentMikey said:
It's definitely worth telling the drivers, especially when you do so politely! It's also worth getting a helmet camera and telling them to find their rego on youtube. Company drivers in liveried vehicles most of all, IMO.

I wish I could control my potty mouth at the moment. I'm failing to remain polite and nice.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
winstonsmith said:
Hello

I've been a lurker in here for some time now. This morning while doing my usual commute through central London, I was in the middle lane through Whitehall a white van man overtook me in the right hand turn lane and then swung back into the left hand turn lane cutting me up. Only to get stuck in traffic less than 2 seconds later.

I pulled up and asked him if it was really necessary and suggested that he waited, I was actually quite polite. This was treated with a torrent of swear words about how I should have signalled while going in the lane that was going straight on. (?)

My question is whether 'having a word' with drivers will actually change their behaviour in future or, as I suspect, will make them detest cyclists even more. Should I buy a helmet camera and adopt a zen like manner in cycling and just use the video afterwards?

The only time anyone has done anything really life threatening to me was AFTER we had had a chat at the lights, he decided to have the last word by ramming me into the side of a bus, before his trailer followed and then pulled my bars over to try and finish the job...all a bit nasty.

I bought a head cam the same day.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I generally don't engage with misbehaving road users (naughty cyclists as well as drivers). I don't think it achieves much in the way of changing people's attitudes and, even when I've been polite, the usual outcome is a bucket-load of abuse. When dealing with commercial drivers, more recently I've tried not to get involved in discussions at the time. Instead, I'll contact the company with footage when I'm calmer. Revenge served cold and all that.

The other side is of the argument is that I don't completely trust myself when the blood is up. I've got a potty mouth at the best of times, so I struggle with the Wildean wit after some WVM has tried to off me. Two incidents over the past two years have taught me a lot - the first where I behaved like an @rse and came close to unnecessary fisticuffs and a second where my keeping calm just about defused an assault from a very mentally-disturbed courier.

I've no problem with anyone else engaging where they feel they can make a difference, but it's better for me if I keep my trap shut.

dondare

Über Member
Go placidly amid the noise and haste
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender,
be at peace with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly,
and listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.
If you compare yourself to others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater
or lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career,
however humble; it is a real possession
in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

viniga

Guru
I asked a very similar question a while back after accosting a WVM after a dangerous overtake. I was polite but obviously angry. All the encounter did was make him even more hostile. Tried to get the police involved and even borrowed a helmet camera for a while...

After a cool down period I reflected on what had happened. I decided to stop talking, gesturing or otherwise interacting with 'them'* in a negative way. I take a deep breath and move on... I think I am a happier person for it. I still give a thumbs up for courteous driving.

*By 'them' I mean any road using idiot using any form of transport.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Pointless overtakes like this are too common. As annoying as it is, I avoid stopping and letting the driver know how stupid the overtake was - nobody likes be told they're wrong.

I simply filter and overtake them, hoping that they'll see how unnecessary their maneuevre was.

Most drivers realise (I think). For others, there's no hope.

hydridmatt

Über Member
My helmet cam has made me calmer, but just the other day, I spouted off (shouting and pointing) when really the best course would have been a polite "you need to leave more space". Watching it back, my anger forced the driver into matching anger which just made the situation worse. Lesson learned; fury will always be reciprocated.

Top Bottom