Zipp 202 firecrest clincher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paxterg

Veteran
I have a set of these with the 77/177 hubs, great set of wheels... however the bearings in the freehub need replaced again! I replaced them in May, now I have done probably a few thousand miles on them. My mechanic tell me there is no seal on them so the water and grit can get in very easy. Is this normal for a set of these wheels, the summer weather was pretty good so not much water or grit could have penetrated them. Any advise or other peoples' experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes, it is common for those wheels to go through bearings at an unacceptable rate. Reason being, not that the bearings have no seals, but because they are undersized for the job. It is your fault. You bought on weight instead of durability. Big robust bearings weight more than lightweight bearings. That's a fact of life.
Further, those wheels have aluminium axles which are quickly damaged by the bearings, which wear grooves in them. That exacerbates the play in the wheel.
Once you buy bicycle components like you buy cocaine - by the gram, then you are into frequently-replace territory.

Top Bottom