Zipp 303 or 404 for Everyday Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ryan_w

Evening all,

Essentially I have a dilemma, I'm wanting to buy a new set of 'do it all' wheels for my 2015 Scott Addict Team.

I've always wanted a pair of Zipps and now I have the chance to purchase either a set of 303s or 404s (new Firecrest clinchers, 2016 v10 hubs, the good ones) for a very cheap price.

Now I'm not your average 65kg rider, I'm 6ft and 104kg (ex rugby player & weightlifter), so these wheels need to be able to handle some very strong legs and a fair bit of weight.

It's my understanding that the 303s will be the stiffer of the two in question, even though both are rated to 120kg rider weight.

I mainly ride pretty flat stuff, few laps of Richmond Park, occasionally heading to Box Hill. Nothing really over 100km.

I'm not a climber at all, even though I enjoy it, so the 65g different between the 2 doesn't bother me. I'm pretty decent on the flats, so the deeper 404 may be worth going for...

Anyway, please help! I'm looking to order this week.

Cheers all,

Ryan

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are race wheels. It's your cash to burn, and they won't make you faster. Do it all would be Mavic Ksyriums or Fulcrum racing Zero or even hand built.

OP
OP
ryan_w

ryan_w

Yes it is my cash to burn. I have a super light semi-aero tour spec bike running super light 28mm carbons, but I want a more aero specific wheel, hence my question. And I believe they will make me faster, on the flats at least.

I know I could save the money and lose 20kg and be a much more efficient rider, but that's not my aim.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
404s if looking for more aero

But if its too cheap.....they may not be real 404s

OP
OP
ryan_w

ryan_w

They're not silly cheap, but over £500 off RRP.

All the 2016 Zipps use their new v10 177/77 hubs, not the troubled v8 188/88s.

I not hunting aero gains, but every little helps I guess. I just don't know if the 58mm 404s will be too deep for everyday use, the 45mm 303s 'may' be the better option.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I've just bought a set of 404s to replace some slightly ordinary cosmic Carbones that came with my vanity bike.

They are lovely wheels and much better in the wind than the Mavics but I would never describe them as 'do it all'. You'll still know about crosswinds - it's a weird sensation. The Mavics used to 'snatch' when wind came in from the side, whereas the Zipps feel a bit like a sail catching the wind. Much more controlled, but definitely a side force. Any wind gusting over 15-20mph might make them tricky to handle, although you're much heavier than me (same height but 78kg)

Build quality is miles better than the Mavics and they've coped with the post-winter roads so far. They're also light enough to ride around the local mid-Hants up-and-downs and I recently had them round the Surrey Hills without feeling like they were the wrong wheel for the job. Like most carbon rimmed wheels, braking is a little sketchy if the rims are damp.

I took a bit of a punt and bought mine from an online shop that I'd not used before, Pedal Pedal here as the price was competitive. All delivered on time and in perfect fettle. The wheels came direct from the distributor (fisher outdoor) so I know they're genuine.

Oh, and they look mint. :tongue:

OP
OP
ryan_w

ryan_w

Thanks for the info Bollo, nice to hear some real world experience.

I've used pedal-pedal before, nice set of friendly staff there.

Anyway, just back from my Sunday ride (managed to get my first ever KOM
icon_smile.gif
).....

I went into the shop and looked at the 303s today. The carbon weave is a thing on beauty, best I've seen from any of the top brands. I really think Zipp have turned a corner and hopefully the v10 hubs will stand the test of time.

Discussing with the chap in my LBS who rides 303s, he suggests either will be fine for my needs. He's ordered in a pair of 404s and I'll make the decision at the end of the week.

I'm leaning towards the 404s even though they're slightly heavier. I would rather a solid rim that can take all my power out the pedals climbing, than one potentially weaker that will leave doubt / worry in my mind when really wanting to stamp on the pedals.

OP
OP
ryan_w

ryan_w

Can I just ask @ryan_w *if you don't mind*, where have you seen the 2016 404's cheap-ish?

Also, have you seen the new Hunt Aero wheels ? They seem to have a waiting list & have positive reviews.

The new 2016 Zipps can be had for under £1260 from both UBYK and Pedal-Pedal, that's £400 off RRP...

I have a friend who can get me a little more off that price, but not much more. Still a bloody good deal since they're brand new 2016 models.

Haven't looked into the Hunts, will do some research now.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Cheers Ryan.

I have spotted some Fast Forward FFWD F6R FCC (Full Carbon Clinchers) but they aren't rated as highly the Zipps but are cheaper.

£1260 does seem mighty good though.

Does anyone want to buy my house ?

& can I live in the shed ?

OP
OP
ryan_w

ryan_w

Just been on Hunts website. A guy I work with showed me them on Friday.

They are really nice wheels and cheap when you consider you get Pro1s fitted for £1,100!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks for the info Bollo, nice to hear some real world experience.

I've used pedal-pedal before, nice set of friendly staff there.

Anyway, just back from my Sunday ride (managed to get my first ever KOM
icon_smile.gif
).....

I went into the shop and looked at the 303s today. The carbon weave is a thing on beauty, best I've seen from any of the top brands. I really think Zipp have turned a corner and hopefully the v10 hubs will stand the test of time.

Discussing with the chap in my LBS who rides 303s, he suggests either will be fine for my needs. He's ordered in a pair of 404s and I'll make the decision at the end of the week.

I'm leaning towards the 404s even though they're slightly heavier. I would rather a solid rim that can take all my power out the pedals climbing, than one potentially weaker that will leave doubt / worry in my mind when really wanting to stamp on the pedals.
No worries. Enjoy whatever you decide to go with.

Some other stuff that I remembered while out today.... Although I'm a bit lighter and tend to spin rather than mash the pedals I haven't felt any brake rub, so they seem reasonably stiff. Also, I was surprised how much difference the wider rims made to the ride feel. I wouldn't say I was any sort of precious when it comes to ride comfort, but the 404s are noticeably more gentle over the surface-dressed hell of some of my local roads.

I paid around £1250 for the pair. The big boys didn't have any in stock but were advertising them at around £1470, including my plutonium discount on Wiggle.

e-rider

crappy member
these wheels are not suitable for everyday use
also, if you are getting anywhere near a given weight limit you will have problems. I trashed a pair of Fulcrum wheels after one ride even though I was on the exact weight limit

Top Bottom