Zipp 303 or 404 for Everyday Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
these wheels are not suitable for everyday use
also, if you are getting anywhere near a given weight limit you will have problems. I trashed a pair of Fulcrum wheels after one ride even though I was on the exact weight limit
Why cant they be used everyday????

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My own point of view is ive lost confidence in Sram / Specialized/ Zipp ( all one company ) Far too many recalls over the last few years on high end products .

jowwy

My own point of view is ive lost confidence in Sram / Specialized/ Zipp ( all one company ) Far too many recalls over the last few years on high end products .
My next purchase will be 303 disc wheels and sram etap......when they finish the wifli rear mech :cheers:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Why cant they be used everyday????
I'm of the opinion that "if you've bought it, use it" so don't tend to keep stuff for best if it can be ridden. But, although the 404s are better than some in fresher winds, they're not immune and can take a bit of handling. They could certainly be your main set of wheels on a best bike, but I'd keep a less aero backup handy for blowy days.
I'd heard about the Zipp hub recall and checked it out before I bought. Also, I was on the Spec US website yesterday checking out some helmet certifications (boo, but now a requirement unfortunately) and was surprised at the number of recall notices. Although there are clearly some feck-ups, I think it's as much a case of covering their bums in the extra-litigious American market.

jowwy

I'm of the opinion that "if you've bought it, use it" so don't tend to keep stuff for best if it can be ridden. But, although the 404s are better than some in fresher winds, they're not immune and can take a bit of handling. They could certainly be your main set of wheels on a best bike, but I'd keep a less aero backup handy for blowy days.

I'd heard about the Zipp hub recall and checked it out before I bought. Also, I was on the Spec US website yesterday checking out some helmet certifications (boo, but now a requirement unfortunately) and was surprised at the number of recall notices. Although there are clearly some feck-ups, I think it's as much a case of covering their bums in the extra-litigious American market.
Im of the same opinion........buy em, use em, enjoy em. I was right on the limit with my zipp 202s but never had an ounce of problems with them. Except for when braking on them in the wet at 40ish mile an hour at 110kgs in weight

OP
OP
ryan_w

ryan_w

these wheels are not suitable for everyday use
also, if you are getting anywhere near a given weight limit you will have problems. I trashed a pair of Fulcrum wheels after one ride even though I was on the exact weight limit

I beg to differ... I'm 10kg under the weight limit and I have been using a light weight carbon 28mm clincher for the past 6 months with no trouble at all.

These wheels will stay on my bike 24/7. If it's stupidly windy, I won't go out. I cycle for the love of it and I hate riding in strong winds, so choose not to.

If the wheels turn out to be complete rubbish, I'll send them back and buy something else. However, I will give them a fair hearing and see how they handle my riding.

OP
OP
ryan_w

ryan_w

Im of the same opinion........buy em, use em, enjoy em. I was right on the limit with my zipp 202s but never had an ounce of problems with them. Except for when braking on them in the wet at 40ish mile an hour at 110kgs in weight

Being large and moving with some speed is daunting on any rim! Good fun on the downs though, love gravity giving us the advantage! Haha

Crandoggler

What a load of crap. I'm 10kg over the weight limit of my wheels and the cheaper wheels from the same brand did 1500 miles without issue. Whilst I understand the implications with possible damage, what your suggesting is the same as asking someone to throw food away a couple of days before the 'best before date'. Buy them, enjoy them.

jowwy

Being large and moving with some speed is daunting on any rim! Good fun on the downs though, love gravity giving us the advantage! Haha
Not if riding disc brakes with carbon rims, like i do now......awesome braking ability in wet or dry and can use carbon rims all year round. As they dont get ground down with the winter mud/dirt/wet weather

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It happens the other way as well. I managed to taco a new set of Easton wheels that were specifically designed for the "the bigger, stronger rider" according to the blurb, despite being 40kg under the limit. Thank you lanes of Hampshire,

The weight limit will have to take into account exceptional rather than typical forces, so a weight-limited wheel might be at greater risk of damage if a heavier rider spanks a pothole hard, but otherwise they'd be fine on all but the crappiest of roads.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Here's a Monday treat for you @ryan_w, it's me Zipps. Go on, you know you want to!
full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1460970638.jpg

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks @St
Wow .....

That is some bike there @Bollo !

Canyon Aeroad CF SLX with DA Di2 & 404's.

Not at all jealous !!!
I'm not just a mamil, I'm the mamil.:tongue:

Despite being knackered and old, I do take my riding fairly seriously and this was the first n+1 in about 8 years, so I think I'm allowed. My original plan didn't include a change of wheels, but the supplied Mavics were so bad in anything over a breeze that I stopped trusting them. You can see from the picture that the bike would look a bit odd with box-section rims.

Top Bottom