Zipp 303 or 404 for Everyday Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ryan_w

ryan_w

On a side note Bollo, which valve extenders did you buy? Looking at the Zipp ones now (48mm).

OP
OP
ryan_w

ryan_w

Soon to be Zipped.......

Attachments

• IMG_4841.JPG
    IMG_4841.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 105
Had the same dilemma. Wanted a best set of carbon clinchers and could of had Zipps, Reynolds, Eastons etc etc for £1000 - £1500. decided in the end that all these wheels had pretty generic hubs and, whilst fine, the money maybe could have been spent better elsewhere. Hand builts.

I ended up looking at several different carbon wheel builders and settled with one i had experienced previously, and was local to me. Ended up with a Zipp style rim, a copy if you like, but with Chris King hubs. The rims are logo free and have a very similar spec to the Zipps mentioned above. If you crack or break a rim they can be replaced and the hubs come with a 5 year warranty. They ride AMAZING. Price was £300-£400 less than Zipps and essentially my mind was made up with the hubs. For me the rims were never going to play a bigger part than the hubs and that is perhaps the downfall of Zipp wheels.
Enve wheels are usally specced with King or Dt Swiss hubs - the perfect pairing, but for the amateur racer/rider they are serious overkill.

Isn't it funny how you first start out cycling thinking £50 for a cycling top is expensive and all of a sudden £1000+ is reasonable for a set of wheel. lol. The horror........

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Beaut looking bike Bollo, the black decals look fantastic... Like a F-117A Nighthawk!
Thanks, nice bike backatcha. I always like to see a bike in the kitchen, because you know just out of shot there's an angry partner.

I went through a light rinse of the Canyon delivery merry-go-round to get it, but it rides very well. The kids in my road call it the batman bike.
On a side note Bollo, which valve extenders did you buy? Looking at the Zipp ones now (48mm).
The wheels came with zipp valve extenders, but.....

The local terrain is chalk and flint (some great local wines BTW) so inner-tubes are pretty much a disposable item, especially after a bit of rain. Consequently I tend to buy job lots from Decathlon, which have a valve thread that doesn't match the Zipp extenders. The ones on the bike are just Hutchinson jobbies, again from Decathlon. In some ways I prefer them as they're shorter than the zipps but long enough to get a pump or CO2 valve on.

Top Bottom