ZIPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickNick

I know you can use candle wax on stuck zips but not sure if it would work prophylactically.

e2a: looks like you can https://www.thriftyfun.com/Lubricating-a-Zipper-with-Candle-Wax.html

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
776096?w=637&h=403.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Candle wax or beeswax is what we use on scuba diving drysuit zips - which despite being heavy-duty, are vulnerable, and expensive to replace. I've never bothered on ordinary clothes or sleeping bags, but it's not a silly idea.

A word of advice - never, ever use a pliers to pull a stuck zip on a garment you are wearing. A friend made that mistake and acquired a Terry Thomas like smile as a result

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I’m another vote for bees wax

Ajax Bay

Guru
[QUOTE 5043153, member: 9609"]How do you maintain and lubricate seldom used Zips ?[/QUOTE]
Rubbing a pencil over the teeth of a closed zip
This ^^^^ Can't beat graphite for this use. Soft lead pencil eg 2B (rather than 'H'). And very easy and quick to apply/use.
This maintenance is good for all zips that are not going through the washing machine (or submerged in water) and saves unnecessary (and unwanted) jerks when opening/closing bar and top tube bags on the move.

U

User6179

I used some clipper oil ( mineral oil) on my overshoes zip, for some reason my Topeak saddle bag zip that gets soaked most days never sticks but my chain tool I carry in it was seized solid.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Silicone Spray is clean and non greasy. Graphite and grease, wax and oil may well work but I recommend Silicone for clothing and other items where cleanliness is important . Easily reapplied.

Top Bottom