ZIPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was in a hurry to get out a few days ago when it was cold and rain was forecast so I got my heavy duty rain jacket out of storage only to discover that the zip tab was so stiff that I feared I was going to break it trying to do it up. I solved the problem by wetting a bar of soap and running it up and down the teeth of the zip. I got the tab moving by levering it with a knife rather than pulling harder on it. I ran it up and down the length of the zip a few times and it was okay after that.

I imagine that pre-emptive soaping would have stopped the problem developing?

I'm surprised no one has recommended chainsaw oil!
Oo :smile:

I rather went off that idea after colins reports of glooping.

Katherine

Guru
Rubbing a pencil over the teeth of a closed zip used to be the recommended method of easing a sticky zip mechanism. I guess that the graphite helps to lubricate the sliding.

Pencil lead as said above, it is a dry lube.

This ^^^^ Can't beat graphite for this use. Soft lead pencil eg 2B (rather than 'H'). And very easy and quick to apply/use.
This maintenance is good for all zips that are not going through the washing machine (or submerged in water) and saves unnecessary (and unwanted) jerks when opening/closing bar and top tube bags on the move.

Another vote for the pencil.

Another vote for graphite from me.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I created a thread about how I managed to free a couple of completely stuck zips on my overshoes

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/in-praise-of-scuba-divers-stuck-zip-advice.212901/

TL, DR...soak them in warm water overnight, then apply vinegar and hey presto

However, that doesn't prevent them sticking in the first place. I have this with the zip on the under-saddle wedge bag. I'll give the pencil idea a try

Top Bottom