Zwift and Bkool pro ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cb300

anyone able to successfully use Zwift with a Bkool pro ? I've done the Ant + FE-C update and can now pair the Bkool trainer ,Garmin speed and cadence sensor but get no resistance on the hills and can only reach about 25mph max .It seems Zwift is estimating the speed on hills and flats which is rubbish really .

MiloSnowe

I've got the Bkool One. No issues connecting with Zwift and had resistance on the hills so it should be possible...

OP
OP
C

Cb300

Ah ok that's good to know ,it must be something I'm doing wrong then ! . Didn't think it was right ..I can't see the point in it if it doesn't get harder on the hills !

Paulf1566

Yes, I'm using it and it's working fine with a Bkool pro. Try unpairing and repairing. I had the same issue and raised it in another forum on here and was given the solution but cannot find it.

damari

anyone able to successfully use Zwift with a Bkool pro ? I've done the Ant + FE-C update and can now pair the Bkool trainer ,Garmin speed and cadence sensor but get no resistance on the hills and can only reach about 25mph max .It seems Zwift is estimating the speed on hills and flats which is rubbish really .
Hey Cb300,

I just bough a BKOOL Pro Sport | Connect, same issue. Speed is calculated and resistance is constant. I though mine was broken but probably something else. I'm playing on MAC. I installed BKOOL Indoor simulator and upgrade ANT+ FE-C on it to get Zwift running. Everything else works, Garmin 1000 + Garmin HR + Garmin Speed sensor + Garmin Vector Power meter + the BKOOL trainer. One weird thing is, Zwift remember everything but I have to manually go to trainer and select the BKOOL every time I start Zwift, which is weird.

Bought USB extention cable but no difference.
:sad:

Paulf1566

I had this happen a week ago, for some reason. After the Zwift upgrade, when starting, it would automatically detect the trainer but pair it as a power meter, not a controllable trainer (top left block of the pairing page, rather than bottom right). After unpairing and manually pairing as a trainer, it day all OK.

g00se

Veteran
Hey Cb300,

I just bough a BKOOL Pro Sport | Connect, same issue. Speed is calculated and resistance is constant. I though mine was broken but probably something else. I'm playing on MAC. I installed BKOOL Indoor simulator and upgrade ANT+ FE-C on it to get Zwift running. Everything else works, Garmin 1000 + Garmin HR + Garmin Speed sensor + Garmin Vector Power meter + the BKOOL trainer. One weird thing is, Zwift remember everything but I have to manually go to trainer and select the BKOOL every time I start Zwift, which is weird.

Bought USB extention cable but no difference.
:sad:

I think that having to pair each time is common with lots of trainers - not just Bkool - It effects Tacx trainers too.

When you're pairing the trainer, are you using the button in the bottom right 'smart trainer'? If you're using 'power meter' or 'speed sensor + standard trainer', then it's not going to work properly.

paired_devices.png

damari

Apparently you can change "Trainer Difficulty" to MAX in Settings menu, will try this tomorrow :smile:
HOWTO: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/204549519-What-s-new-on-Watopia-6-4-v1-0-5395-

damari

I think that having to pair each time is common with lots of trainers - not just Bkool - It effects Tacx trainers too.

When you're pairing the trainer, are you using the button in the bottom right 'smart trainer'? If you're using 'power meter' or 'speed sensor + standard trainer', then it's not going to work properly.

paired_devices.png
Ok, nice to hear it's a standard behavior that one has to select Smart Trainer every time. Since I have Power meter on pedals (Garmin Vector S) I don't use the upper right (Speed Sensor + Standard Trainer) but "Power Meter" + "Heart Rate" + "Cadence" + "Smart Trainer".

g00se

Veteran
I found this at Zwift: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/201373079-Can-I-set-Kickr-as-speed-source-

Rofl, apparently 10% slope kicked ppl butt so they've made it easier. meh Wtf.
Jon Mayfield: "We could probably let the user choose between 'tuned' and 'true to life' feel on smart trainers since it doesn't actually affect their in-game speed. The 10% grade was kicking too many peoples butts. :smile:"

It's not cheating though - it adjusts the speed accordingly - so it's akin to shrinking your front chainring as you hit a hill.

g00se

Veteran
Ok, nice to hear it's a standard behavior that one has to select Smart Trainer every time. Since I have Power meter on pedals (Garmin Vector S) I don't use the upper right (Speed Sensor + Standard Trainer) but "Power Meter" + "Heart Rate" + "Cadence" + "Smart Trainer".

Ah! That's could be your problem with the resistance unit. It seems that Zwift doesn't always let a second dedicated power meter control a smart trainer. Not sure which situations this happens in but try using Bkool's power meter and see if that helps?

damari

I believe the Smart trainer (BKOOL Pro Connect | Sport) doesn't have a power meter, did look it up some time ago but will double check. Zwift does state that you can (since 2015-Jun or so) use separate power meter + smart trainer.

OP
OP
C

Cb300

Well thought I give it another try this morning and had a Zwift update to do once logged in. Did everything the same and it works! :-) it's very smooth on the resistance transitions maybe more realistic feel and smooth speed uptake again possibly more realistic true speed ? Anyway happy days it's working ! thanks for all the replys.

g00se

Veteran
I believe the Smart trainer (BKOOL Pro Connect | Sport) doesn't have a power meter, did look it up some time ago but will double check. Zwift does state that you can (since 2015-Jun or so) use separate power meter + smart trainer.

Thanks - I must have been reading some old posts.

It has some kind of power meter simulation - it's the Bkool One that doesn't. The Pro and the previous Classic provide watts to Zwift and other simulators over ANT+. It's probably calculated against spindle speed and resistance applied - rather than a true strain/deflection gauge - but I believe most budget end smart trainers do it this way.

Top Bottom