Zwift B S’s.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
In the end though we come down to the OP is jealous of an older guy in the office who is faster on a route in Zwift than he is.
LOL
The question is are people happy with single sided power meters or is it worth paying more for double sided?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
real world riding you have junctions.traffic ,pot holes and of course wind all slowing you down - no way i can reach zwift speeds - even with no wind there is still air resistance but as long as the turbo is constant in its readings then if you are getting faster on turbo , you are improving
dont think in my eyes that dual side power meters make much difference to single side - you are still producing that power - you just dont know if its evenly produced
zwift is competitive and fun but in the real world i would never try until my legs feel like they are dropping off and have to slump across the handlebars - you have to get home !

CXRAndy

Guru
Zwift speeds and power outputs on Strava are often complete rubbish

If you ride on Zwift solo, the speeds are very comparable to outdoor. Bear in mind though, Zwift works the speed from power/weight/drag/ gradient. The power if you've got a decent PM is accurate, weight that's upto you to be honest( Zwift doesnt take into account bike weight/bottles/tools) Drag is calculated on weight and height but no wind scenario. gradient, just is

So next time you're out on the road in a no wind situation on the flat section of road the speed is pretty accurate.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Zwift uploads to Strava so it is Strava virtual ride.
The guy claims to be 11 stone but looks more like 10. His ftp isn’t much more than mine but I am 10 stone. Carrying 1 stone more up the Alpe all that way is a lot so I’d roughly guess the power to weight ratios are the same. Anyway points above are right. There’s so many variables & who cares as long as we put on some fair efforts & improve.
Some say it’s all about performance but not always the case. Sometimes you’ve just got to smell the flowers.
Strava shows watts and w/kg so you shouldn't need to guess - and from those figures you can work out what his weight is on Strava. Obviously this won't tell you what weight he's input on Zwift, but if he's on Zwiftpower you'll be able to see his Zwift weight (and compare with Strava). So if someone you know in real life is on both Zwiftpower and Strava, there's really no way to "weight dope" without it being obvious. Doesn't mean he's not got a dodgy turbo trainer though.

I used to have a Bkool Pro which was generally a bit over-generous on the watts it reported on Zwift (and occasionally super-generous until switched off and on again for some reason). And there's a particular problem on steep climbs with some lower end trainers too, which is they can't replicate slopes above a certain % gradient so max out their resistance if set to 100% difficulty on Zwift. This can fool Zwift into thinking you're producing more power than you are on steep inclines. Lowering the "difficulty" setting resolves this to some extent - which is partly what that setting's there for - but of course no one's forced to do this and you don't know whether they have or not.

Having said all that, the Bkool wouldn't have given me anything like a 16 minute advantage up Alpe Du Zwift though!

Crook Town AFC

Dave Wade on BRVR
LOL
The question is are people happy with single sided power meters or is it worth paying more for double sided?
If you are interested in power meters you may want to check out the "VeloNews Podcast", available by searching on itunes. Look for "Tech pod, ep12: How does a power meter work?" dated 6th Dec 2018. Quite an informative talk about PMs including discussing single vs double sided. I think it comes in round about the 13 minute mark if memory serves.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
I weigh 80kg. @berty bassett only got up the real alpe d’huez about a minute faster than me and he weighs 3kg wet.

I haven’t got a point to make about this thread, but just thought I’d mention it ^_^. Cya next summer little fella! :hello:
I waited for you :biggrin:

bobinski

Legendary Member
real world riding you have junctions.traffic ,pot holes and of course wind all slowing you down - no way i can reach zwift speeds - even with no wind there is still air resistance but as long as the turbo is constant in its readings then if you are getting faster on turbo , you are improving
dont think in my eyes that dual side power meters make much difference to single side - you are still producing that power - you just dont know if its evenly produced
zwift is competitive and fun but in the real world i would never try until my legs feel like they are dropping off and have to slump across the handlebars - you have to get home !

Liar, liar pants on fire! If Tommy was coming up from behind ( and I don’t mean in SoHo) you would bend over, sorry, bury yourself to stay in front and you know it!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ensuring you are improving on your own trainer is the key point. The figures others are pumping out does not matter. Unless of course you are preparing for the TDF or track world championships.

Alongo

Guru
My first Alpe Du Zwift attempt was 70 mins with real road feel turned up full.
Some guy at work who’s pushing 60 has done it in 54 mins. I’m also a stone lighter than him. 16 mins is a lot. I’d say we had similar power to weight ratio so I’m calling BS on his time.

Some young kid at work, maybe 16/17 years younger than me did a 70 min first time on the Alpe du Zwift , 4 months later and a bit of training , a few more practice runs , a bit of tenacity and hard work he does a 55 min time up the Alpe. I’m calling respect on his time

Top Bottom