Zwift B S’s.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
I've been giving it all I had up a long hill on Zwift only to be overtaken by someone with a heart rate of around 100 more than once :smile:

I really like Zwift for all sorts of reasons that I won't bore you with here but I get that others don't. Each to his own.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've been giving it all I had up a long hill on Zwift only to be overtaken by someone with a heart rate of around 100 more than once :smile:

I really like Zwift for all sorts of reasons that I won't bore you with here but I get that others don't. Each to his own.

I've been giving it beans, then this rider called "Jody Cundy" came flying past like I was going backwards. And he only has one leg ! Pah !

PS It was him - I messaged him on Zwift.

JuhaL

Guru
Then you are not answering the question of how the OP determined the older man has lower power. It cannot come from Zwift for that would be a contradiction.
Only i know is what can effect that. Different trainer, trainer difficulty settings and weight setting. When i had Bkool Smart Pro 1 it gived too good power readings. Now i have Elite Drivo 2 what shows realistic much lower power readings.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Only i know is what can effect that. Different trainer, trainer difficulty settings and weight setting. When i had Bkool Smart Pro 1 it gived too good power readings. Now i have Elite Drivo 2 what shows realistic much lower power readings.

But since the OP nor you know the actual power of the older man this is just speculation. You are starting with the premise the older man has a lower power / weight ratio but his trainer offsets that. Truth is, neither the OP nor you know which is the case.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
But since the OP nor you know the actual power of the older man this is just speculation. You are starting with the premise the older man has a lower power / weight ratio but his trainer offsets that. Truth is, neither the OP nor you know which is the case.
If this is a strava segment, wouldn't you know his power per segment there? Can't remember now, but does strava show weight too? Zwiftpower does, so if you can find the rider there you could know both there power and weight and hence w/kg

I'm like others though, I don't care about others I don't know. I've ridden with many on here in real life so I know where I stand in the pecking order - zwift reflects that quite well for our little group. All other riders in any race are merely there to be chased down, whether they have real power and/or speed is totally irrelevant.

Its all good fun and a way to try and get fit :biggrin:

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If this is a strava segment, wouldn't you know his power per segment there? Can't remember now, but does strava show weight too? Zwiftpower does, so if you can find the rider there you could know both there power and weight and hence w/kg

I'm like others though, I doing care about others I don't know. I've ridden with many on here in real life so I know where I stand in the pecking order - zwift reflects that quite well for our little group. All other riders in any race are merely there to be chased down, whether they have real power and/or speed is totally irrelevant.

Its all good fun and a way to try and get fit :biggrin:

Read the OP it is not Strava

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Zwift uploads to Strava so it is Strava virtual ride.
The guy claims to be 11 stone but looks more like 10. His ftp isn’t much more than mine but I am 10 stone. Carrying 1 stone more up the Alpe all that way is a lot so I’d roughly guess the power to weight ratios are the same. Anyway points above are right. There’s so many variables & who cares as long as we put on some fair efforts & improve.
Some say it’s all about performance but not always the case. Sometimes you’ve just got to smell the flowers.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Can i suggest you read the original 3 posts ... yes it is Strava

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Zwift speeds and power outputs on Strava are often complete rubbish. I see people I have ridden with in the real world putting out power outputs and speeds I know they can't in real life. I suspect some turbo trainers with built in power are not always very accurate. However if it motivates you to keep your fitness levels up go for it. Turbo training definitely is a very effective method to maximise your fitness levels if you have an effective programme and stick to it.

JuhaL

Guru
I can trust my power outputs in Strava. I have Elite Drivo 2 trainer and Quarq Riken R power meter in bike. I have paired my Drivo 2 to Zwift and Quarq to Garmin Edge 1000 and compare those data together and they show same power readings, worst cases not more than 5W differences in avg Watts. That gives me perfect starting point to indoor training, i can know what kind of power output i can produced. Thats why i bought Drivo 2 cause i want ultimate realism my indoor training, everything else is irrelevant for me.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Zwift speeds and power outputs on Strava are often complete rubbish. I see people I have ridden with in the real world putting out power outputs and speeds I know they can't in real life. I suspect some turbo trainers with built in power are not always very accurate. However if it motivates you to keep your fitness levels up go for it. Turbo training definitely is a very effective method to maximise your fitness levels if you have an effective programme and stick to it.

I have my own theories on some of this stuff. I’m writing this late at night so worse ways it might help some of you fall asleep ( you’re welcome! )

The speed thing... it isn’t that Zwift exaggerates your speed. It’s just that it doesn’t allow for wind or other environmental conditions that slow you down in the real world. So by nature you go a little faster on the turbo.

The power thing... as juhal said. I have used my power meter on the turbo and it’s about right for me. And my power meter is accurate to within 1%. Can people put down more power on the turbo than in the real world? Yes I believe so. But again it’s because of a lack of other environmental issues that allow you to focus on solely putting down power rather than controlling your form.

I think this is why you can’t put all your stock in online training. Or at least not if you want to reach certain performance goals out in the ‘real world’. There’s obviously more to riding a bike quickly than putting out numbers and that’s sometimes where the separation between the two worlds is most highlighted. When people fail to produce on the road what they can on the turbo.

Sleep well! :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I didn't say all turbo trainers are inaccurate just some.
Zwift speeds should be taken with a pinch of salt. It isn't persay real speed, for the reasons above. Power output is real, it is better if accurately measured, but not essential as long as the measurement is repeatable for your training.

Top Bottom