Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Just over a week. I started training in October, fitness began to come back last week of October. Since then suffering man flu, plague etc etc:cry:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Just over a week. I started training in October, fitness began to come back last week of October. Since then suffering man flu, plague etc etc:cry:
I feel deepest sympathy - I too have had a cold for bloody ages now and just can’t shake it - haven’t mentioned it in case certain people say I am bleating on about illness again - they don’t don’t realise how deadly a cold / flu / pneumonia is at my age

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Just wait till Saturday and then you have six straight days of London to try and squeeze in a ride (only 35 minutes too)?

Personally I think we should only use TT bikes for TT's. And if we can't make the meetups, you should do it solo and not as part of an organised event or race.

The reasoning being - with regards TT bike, although you lose drafting benefits (and possibly some uphill speed - probably more than balanced out on downhill and flat on most routes though), some people when they ride in the meetup end up effectively riding solo if they don't have a group of similar paced riders around them. And if they were on a TT bike in these circumstances they would probably be faster. A good example is a recent race you and I were in and you shot off the front from the start and solo'd all the way to the win and beat me by 30 seconds or so. Neither of us got any significant drafting benefit from each other or anyone else, and if you'd ridden the same power as this solo on a TT bike your time gap would have been even bigger. Similar circumstance happen a lot throughout the league table both at the front and back of races.

And the reasoning behind the no organised events thing is simply you may get more drafting benefit than in a meetup race which again would be unfair.

There's obviously always going to be the uncontrollable variable of random riders on course who provide drafting opportunities, but as this is random and can potentially affect any of us I'd like to think it probably evens itself out over a league if it does have any affect at all. The only way to prevent it is to ride every race as a TT and that would be no fun!
I can safely say I had no drafting when I solo'd on London Saturday! I overtook one rider on the whole course (up Box Hill). Very lonely place. Even buying a set of 454's didn't help :laugh: I'll hopefully have another go at that course when it's back in the list of worlds, and maybe next time It'll be less lonely 👅

bridgy

Legendary Member
I can safely say I had no drafting when I solo'd on London Saturday! I overtook one rider on the whole course (up Box Hill). Very lonely place. Even buying a set of 454's didn't help :laugh: I'll hopefully have another go at that course when it's back in the list of worlds, and maybe next time It'll be less lonely 👅
Do you not have the Tron bike? Still pretty much the fastest bike for flat or rolling terrain I think

tom73

Guru
Well 1st time on the Yorkshire course like being at home :laugh:. Had a spot of rain along the way now I remember why I open the widow the way I use to do 😄 Some how I banged my knee on the end of the drops knocked a bit of skin off but like a pro I carried on :laugh:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Just wait till Saturday and then you have six straight days of London to try and squeeze in a ride (only 35 minutes too)?

Personally I think we should only use TT bikes for TT's. And if we can't make the meetups, you should do it solo and not as part of an organised event or race.

The reasoning being - with regards TT bike, although you lose drafting benefits (and possibly some uphill speed - probably more than balanced out on downhill and flat on most routes though), some people when they ride in the meetup end up effectively riding solo if they don't have a group of similar paced riders around them. And if they were on a TT bike in these circumstances they would probably be faster. A good example is a recent race you and I were in and you shot off the front from the start and solo'd all the way to the win and beat me by 30 seconds or so. Neither of us got any significant drafting benefit from each other or anyone else, and if you'd ridden the same power as this solo on a TT bike your time gap would have been even bigger. Similar circumstance happen a lot throughout the league table both at the front and back of races.

And the reasoning behind the no organised events thing is simply you may get more drafting benefit than in a meetup race which again would be unfair.

There's obviously always going to be the uncontrollable variable of random riders on course who provide drafting opportunities, but as this is random and can potentially affect any of us I'd like to think it probably evens itself out over a league if it does have any affect at all. The only way to prevent it is to ride every race as a TT and that would be no fun!

I would agree with both of your points.
1. TT bikes only for TTS, regular bikes for all other events.
2. no group events if you can’t make the meet up.
As you say in most cases we end up out of the draft and I rarely find any other riders holding c.4wkg to draft so I never get that benefit.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Did anyone see the Veloton indoor cycling video on YouTube,,,it looks pretty cool...I’m not sure how the rider position is controlled or how he doesn’t get his front wheel taken out from under him but looks impressive

View: https://youtu.be/49lwG9ek6xU

It’s been shot down a bit. Apparently that vid is taken from single rather than multi player mode, and may have even been lifted from a Tour de France game (?). Also I think I saw people commenting that with that quality of graphic in multi player mode most people would need a much more powerful pc’s than they have currently.

I’d love to see some genuine competition to zwift though.

Top Bottom