Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Upper 400s are *good* in D. There's just not enough strong regular competition to get much lower than the upper 400s and I strongly suspect that as you approach the 400s in D, you're probably right on the cusp of getting upgraded anyway (as I think is the case for you, Steve and myself).

Points are not category specific and if you're just starting in a higher category they can be highly misleading because the points reflect your best race performances over a ~3 month period -- so it's going to be including results from racing in the lower category. After a few months in the upper category, the points should be a more accurate reflection of your positioning within the higher category.

^ about sums it up. The Top D has a rank of 431, so you'd never get above that racing in D.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Have many people here raced in real life just out of interest? I know a few have mentioned it but curious how many.

The points metric on zwift isn't really something I keep an eye on, but it's nice to see it get lower sometimes I guess

A bit, but not much. I intended to do a fair bit this year - but ..............

Norry1

Legendary Member
Due to the miracles of modern medicine, I was able to sleep last night and I'm able to walk today, but my foot is still swollen and certainly wouldn't fit in my shoes yet. So no racing today either...

Gout is *kin painful - but you probably know that now :smile:

JLaw

Veteran
Gout is *kin painful - but you probably know that now :smile:
Yea, it's not quite kidney stone painful, but it's awful in the same sense that no position helps with the pain and it's too rough to get any sleep at all.

Had I known what was going on I probably would have went into the doc a day earlier. Kind of the same thing happened with my stones and my embolisms. Now that I know the signs there won't be any waiting to get medical attention for gout either.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Have many people here raced in real life just out of interest? I know a few have mentioned it but curious how many.

The points metric on zwift isn't really something I keep an eye on, but it's nice to see it get lower sometimes I guess
I started racing in early/mid 30’s in the Northern Ireland amateur scene Open race scene. Lowest grade is called A4. I took 2 seasons to get the points to upgrade to the next level of A3. Most A4 races finish in a bunch sprint and considered by many as quite dangerous as many of the racers are quite new to the sport just as I was. I honed my sprint in the 2nd season through specific Gym/ Weights training and sprint training. Won a points (green) jersey in a 3 day tour being my highlight.

A3 is a big step up as juniors are kept there and not allowed to upgrade so they win a lot. Plus your thrown in with higher cats in many races. I picked up some category points but after multiple race crashes in 2016 followed by A broken collarbone in a training ride I gave up The racing. I moved jobs in 2017 which meant more commuting and I lost the cycling bug. Got it back in 2019 and Gave the racing a go again. Felt good and gave it a lash in the breakaways as I no longer fancied mixing it in sprints (Finished last in a couple of races and even the marshals had packed up and opened the roads up :laugh:. but at least felt id given the races a good rattle. I’ve no urge to race again outdoors givenmy collection of mostly racing crashes. I probably consider myself lucky that I never broke anything in race - body or bike. I think I would cry if I damaged a bike.

⚠️ Warning- pictures of blood and ripped Lycra below warning ⚠️

6B2FE19C-676F-4EF2-809B-9245625FEC29.jpeg

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
^ about sums it up. The Top D has a rank of 431, so you'd never get above that racing in D.
Exactly - you’ll eventually run out of Ds with better points than you. I’ve finished highly in recent races but got 0 points as the top finishers all have similar or worse points.

mjd1988

Guru
I started racing in early/mid 30’s in the Northern Ireland amateur scene Open race scene. Lowest grade is called A4. I took 2 seasons to get the points to upgrade to the next level of A3. Most A4 races finish in a bunch sprint and considered by many as quite dangerous as many of the racers are quite new to the sport just as I was. I honed my sprint in the 2nd season through specific Gym/ Weights training and sprint training. Won a points (green) jersey in a 3 day tour being my highlight.

A3 is a big step up as juniors are kept there and not allowed to upgrade so they win a lot. Plus your thrown in with higher cats in many races. I picked up some category points but after multiple race crashes in 2016 followed by A broken collarbone in a training ride I gave up The racing. I moved jobs in 2017 which meant more commuting and I lost the cycling bug. Got it back in 2019 and Gave the racing a go again. Felt good and gave it a lash in the breakaways as I no longer fancied mixing it in sprints (Finished last in a couple of races and even the marshals had packed up and opened the roads up :laugh:. but at least felt id given the races a good rattle. I’ve no urge to race again outdoors givenmy collection of mostly racing crashes. I probably consider myself lucky that I never broke anything in race - body or bike. I think I would cry if I damaged a bike.

⚠ Warning- pictures of blood and ripped Lycra below warning ⚠

View attachment 534880
View attachment 534881
View attachment 534882
View attachment 534883
View attachment 534884
View attachment 534885

Plenty of war wounds :eek: That's a really interesting read though, congrats on the stage wins :notworthy:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Plenty of war wounds :eek: That's a really interesting read though, congrats on the stage wins :notworthy:

.i didn’t actually win any stages even winning the green jersey - all of my points came from taking intermediate sprints just like Mondays race..but it is still my best moment in my illustrious career:laugh:..in fact I think I’ve only ever won in a handful of local interclub races.

JuhaL

Guru

⚠ Warning- pictures of blood and ripped Lycra below warning ⚠

View attachment 534880
View attachment 534881
View attachment 534882
View attachment 534883
View attachment 534884
View attachment 534885
Usually first reaction is when somebody crash with bike is did anyone see that. In your case no need to ask that.

Top Bottom