Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JLaw

Veteran
Nice power there Dean:thumbsup:

I could only average 220w for an hour on the 3 sisters before bailing .taunted by Zwift telling me I had a 30 day best for KOM but it’s nearly 4min slower than my best from November. Wish they would drop that feature.
Yea, that 30 day best thing is pretty lame, it's just way too short. Ideally it'd be configurable.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I am sorry to hear about your knee. Think you are right about the strengthening exercises being great for knee problems. I was forced off the bike for 18 month some years ago due to knee injury and I believe it was doing lots of eccentric one leg squats for a long period that got me slowly back on the bike.

That’s really reassuring. I have been known to act a bit eccentric so those leg squats should be a cinch :okay:

Soarerv8

Über Member
2 bits of disappointing news today.
Firstly another PRL rejection from the organisers and this my fourth attempt as well! I am definitely going to ride the route at 4am with some mates so if anyone fancies sneaking in too let me know.
Secondly some frustrating news about my knee. I saw consultant at Guys who then brought in another consultant to confirm his opinion. Lots of pulling, stretching and bending and i have to say a fair of wincing from me:blush:^_^ He/they confirmed torn, "pretty much shot" meniscus and he doesn't think there is much they can do. Knee kind of wobbles a bit erratically under pressure and yet knee joint wont straighten out when standing or lying flat. Chances of a successful operation at my age are about 1 in 2 with a not insignificant risk an operation to repair the meniscus may exacerbate the condition of the joint . Classic symptoms and probably some degenerative arthritis too, started or exacerbated by the impact of the tear. Will have a scan soon to confirm and I will wait for that before paying for a further opinion. In the meantime no jogging (hurrah!)
The great thing is cycling is considered the best way to alleviate some of the symptoms. The really frustrating thing, as i try and chase you lot, is that the things we all want, more power/speed are achieved by pushing or training hard and unfortunately that tends to makes things worse. I got a sense of that when i smashed my pb on Box by almost a minute recently and struggled with a fair bit of pain, in addition to usual aches, for 3 days afterwards. Bloody annoying.
That said I am a glass half full person. I am a stronger rider in some ways than i was a year ago and certainly have a better ftp despite the knee. They were surpised at this. I reckon that with the right strengthening and stretching exercises (as recommended on the internet :laugh:) and a bit of sensible care i can probably get stronger.
That said, to anyone who thinks that i am going to use my knee as an excuse each and every time i get beaten well...i will! After all, why break bad habits? :biggrin:But I will try not to:whistle:;)
Well after all this time of taking the p*** out of your knee I had better shut up.

Been doing some work with a hip and knee msk consultant who is championing some fairly exciting work. Happy to pass his details on, PM me if of any help.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Well after all this time of taking the p*** out of your knee I had better shut up.

Been doing some work with a hip and knee msk consultant who is championing some fairly exciting work. Happy to pass his details on, PM me if of any help.

Hah!
Thanks mate. I may take you up on that once I have the scan images.

Ryan lawman

Über Member
Firstly another PRL rejection from the organisers and this my fourth attempt as well! I am definitely going to ride the route at 4am with some mates so if anyone fancies sneaking in too let me know.
Secondly some frustrating news about my knee. I saw consultant at Guys who then brought in another consultant to confirm his opinion. Lots of pulling, stretching and bending and i have to say a fair of wincing from me:blush:^_^ He/they confirmed torn, "pretty much shot" meniscus and he doesn't think there is much they can do. Knee kind of wobbles a bit erratically under pressure and yet knee joint wont straighten out when standing or lying flat. Chances of a successful operation at my age are about 1 in 2 with a not insignificant risk an operation to repair the meniscus may exacerbate the condition of the joint . Classic symptoms and probably some degenerative arthritis too, started or exacerbated by the impact of the tear. Will have a scan soon to confirm and I will wait for that before paying for a further opinion. In the meantime no jogging (hurrah!)
The great thing is cycling is considered the best way to alleviate some of the symptoms. The really frustrating thing, as i try and chase you lot, is that the things we all want, more power/speed are achieved by pushing or training hard and unfortunately that tends to makes things worse. I got a sense of that when i smashed my pb on Box by almost a minute recently and struggled with a fair bit of pain, in addition to usual aches, for 3 days afterwards. Bloody annoying.
That said I am a glass half full person. I am a stronger rider in some ways than i was a year ago and certainly have a better ftp despite the knee. They were surpised at this. I reckon that with the right strengthening and stretching exercises (as recommended on the internet :laugh:) and a bit of sensible care i can probably get stronger.
That said, to anyone who thinks that i am going to use my knee as an excuse each and every time i get beaten well...i will! After all, why break bad habits? :biggrin:But I will try not to:whistle:;)
Sorry to hear about your knee Bob . Do not know of this ist of any convinence But i was having trouble with my knee jumping all over the place under pressure .tryed everything from saddle to kleets . Nothing worked then i got my feet measured Up for insouls .where they Said one Leg longer then the Others so i got one insole built Up 6 mm more then the other and it seems to be better . Probely know more once my season gets underway and my rides get harder ..

bobinski

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about your knee Bob . Do not know of this ist of any convinence But i was having trouble with my knee jumping all over the place under pressure .tryed everything from saddle to kleets . Nothing worked then i got my feet measured Up for insouls .where they Said one Leg longer then the Others so i got one insole built Up 6 mm more then the other and it seems to be better . Probely know more once my season gets underway and my rides get harder ..

Hi Ryan, thanks and I hope the inserts work for you. I have a leg discrepancy too but fortunately less than your 6mm! Custom insoles really worked for me stopped the knee tracking out so much especially under power. I reckon I have done all I can bike fit etc wise so time to work on the weaker supporting muscles and find a way around what is after all a common knee problem for aging cyclists. I think that is the thing that hurt the most when the consultants said that if I was in my 20’s even 30’s they would probably advise surgery but not at my age:laugh: buggers!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Knackers yard Bob?

It's not great news about your knee, but you probably already knew due to the length of time and without a permanent relief solution. All the best with rehabilitation mate

bobinski

Legendary Member
Knackers yard Bob?

It's not great news about your knee, but you probably already knew due to the length of time and without a permanent relief solution. All the best with rehabilitation mate

:laugh:

Yeah, I did but was trying to ignore it.
Thanks Andy. I am strangely optimistic.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Good luck with the knee Bob. Injuries are so frustrating.

I also got my rejection from RideLondon. I've done it 3 times so not too miffed. Makes me look for a suitable alternative :smile:

LBHIFI

Veteran
So frustrating when body is in the way of the mind :sad:. Despite your long term knee problems, you seem to have managed to gain fitness anyway, and I bet you'll probably find a way to continue to do so.

bobinski

Legendary Member
So frustrating when body is in the way of the mind :sad:. Despite your long term knee problems, you seem to have managed to gain fitness anyway, and I bet you'll probably find a way to continue to do so.

Thanks Lars. I know you had a tough season last year. Look forward to meeting you at the Tour of Cambridge

LBHIFI

Veteran
I noticed a strange thing when I rode a Zwift group ride the other day. When I stood up to stretch the legs, just for a second, I seeped down through the peleton very fast, and It was almost like I was already dropped. I had to work hard for a long time to stop the "seeping". I think that is what have got me dropped in the races so far.
Are you guys experiencing the same?

bobinski

Legendary Member
I noticed a strange thing when I rode a Zwift group ride the other day. When I stood up to stretch the legs, just for a second, I seeped down through the peleton very fast, and It was almost like I was already dropped. I had to work hard for a long time to stop the "seeping". I think that is what have got me dropped in the races so far.

The only time I experienced something similar was in a fast ride where I had already begun to ease on the power and then reached for a drink and by time I got it to my lips, 2 seconds, I was out the back. Pace was probably 40kph plus.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru

I've noticed on a long ride that I stopped pedalling for just a few seconds I went from the front of the peleton to near the back and had to work hard to regain my position. I think it's the draft affect, if you don't keep the power up, it drops you from the benefits. a bit like a flywheel, once upto speed it's easy to stay there but hard work if you let it drop in momentum.

Top Bottom