Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Apologies for the random nature of this post .....

I was reading somewhere about how important it is to ensure the glutes are "firing" when you pedal as they are the largest muscle group and provide the most pedalling power. I realised that when I cycle, it is my thighs that burn and get tired and my glutes never do. So I have started consciously relaxing my thing muscles when I'm riding and trying to make my glutes do the work. The slight soreness in my glutes suggests this is beginning to work but it is too early to see if this results in any better performance.

Anyone else been through this process ...... and I realise I'm setting myself up for a lot of facetious replies :smile:

I have been working post op on my glutes. I find it really hard. After a recent bike fit my saddle was lowered significantly but safely to help with glute activation by reducing tendency to rely on pushing down with the quads which then requires greater usage/awareness of using the glutes. Like you, soreness suggests it is working especially when climbing. But it has exposed how weak my core is.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
You need to learn to pull up alot more to train the hamstrings and glutes. Saddle position and height will also determine how much certain muscles are employed when cycling.

There are bike fits which sense electric al muscle firing to aid bike position

bobinski

Legendary Member
I have just spent 4 fantastic days cycling the climbs around Girona. It was just fabulous and i will likley do a little write up with some nice pics. But on the glute/core point one of the women who rode with us and frankly dragged us at pace on the flat and then up the climbs is a former time trialer currently a gym and swimming teacher. She is, despite having 3 kids, also a pretty fast triathlete. She completed the raid Pyrennes last year. Anyway, her gym and swimming work mean that she has a really strong core and to all appearances an effortless pedaling technique, especially when ascending, a bit like Simon Yates. Solid but relaxed and no upper body sway from side to side. At the end of every ride she and the others did a stretching yoga like routine as well rather than just falling off their bikes and grabbing a beer-which is what the rest of us did!:biggrin:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Apologies for the random nature of this post .....

I was reading somewhere about how important it is to ensure the glutes are "firing" when you pedal as they are the largest muscle group and provide the most pedalling power. I realised that when I cycle, it is my thighs that burn and get tired and my glutes never do. So I have started consciously relaxing my thing muscles when I'm riding and trying to make my glutes do the work. The slight soreness in my glutes suggests this is beginning to work but it is too early to see if this results in any better performance.

Anyone else been through this process ...... and I realise I'm setting myself up for a lot of facetious replies :smile:
So you're saying you're actively trying to get sore buttocks? ........ I think @berty bassett is your man, he may know some select establishments in Soho that could accommodate your wishes :laugh:

Serious answer, no, not tried this process!

Whorty

Come on Martin (@Norry1 ) , you was supposed to do the stage 7 Alpe ride today to set me a time ...... I don't know how hard to go now tomorrow night :biggrin:

Whorty

I timed out earlier today - made a start but misjudged my work schedule.
You planning to ride live tomorrow, or do it during the day?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Done Gotham grind but don’t know if it’s a segment or overall time you want. Screen said a number that doesn’t appear anywhere now but zp says 1.03.21

Top Bottom