Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
The only adventure I thought about doing is some cycling around Scotland using camp sites as a Base Camp but doing it by myself scares the crap out of me as you never know what's going to happen.
you ought to do it Dean ! the further north you go its fantastic - Inverness would be a good base - ski resort mountains to your right - islands to your left ( if you drive a bit ) any west coast just blows you away - applecross just a bit further up
just remember when the wind blows up there - it blows proper
i do get a bit of pleasure thinking if something happens you have to fix it to get home - but people are so friendly up there if you did get stuck someone would help - i stopped and gave someone an inner tube got chatting for a while and he gave me a bite to eat - fair swap i was starving
when i fell off - a campervan stopped and offer me lift or a patch up
it is proper remote in places so people do look out for each other
some of the main A roads are 8'ft wide with passing spaces and cattle grids !
there is a ride up there called the northcoast 500 trail - where you dont touch a single road , have to do it unsupported over some of the roughest land in uk
- i couldn't do that

you ought to do it Dean ! the further north you go its fantastic - Inverness would be a good base - ski resort mountains to your right - islands to your left ( if you drive a bit ) any west coast just blows you away - applecross just a bit further up
i do get a bit of pleasure thinking if something happens you have to fix it to get home - but people are so friendly up there if you did get stuck someone would help - i stopped and gave someone an inner tube got chatting for a while and he gave me a bite to eat - fair swap i was starving
there is a ride up there called the northcoast 500 trail - where you dont touch a single road , have to do it unsupported over some of the roughest land in uk
- i couldn't do that
You dudes have stumbled into my world. For the last 12 years I've been doing solo credit card tours. I love the freedom of riding alone. I plan on riding around the U.K. around the double devil next year.

The pack is down to 8 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 29

berty bassett

Legendary Member
You dudes have stumbled into my world. For the last 12 years I've been doing solo credit card tours. I love the freedom of riding alone. I plan on riding around the U.K. around the double devil next year.

The pack is down to 8 pounds.
much the same set up as i had ! - just minimum kit and credit card loved it

Breedon

Legendary Member
- i couldn't do that

I've holidayed in Scotland a few times on the east coast on the black Isle weather has all ways been great and once on the Isle of skye weather was teribble then even did some MTB by my self loved it.
Might do it in a couple of years I seem to have a bucket list starting now ^_^.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I've decided to build a route using Sustrans National Cycle Network(NCN) where possible. It will take a bit longer to traverse the country about 1000miles or so and a few days more. With that, it will be a leisurely tour, so 50-60miles a day. This will allow me ride on 2 bottles and if necessary no food, but that isn't the plan, only 'panic mode' if cafes and alike are shut upon arrival. I've downloaded Sustrans traffic less routes which include cycle paths, canal routes and quiet country lanes.
I will set about building a route/checking bookings etc in September for an potential attempt in April, I fancy going from North to South.

Breedon

Legendary Member
I've decided to build a route using Sustrans National Cycle Network(NCN) where possible. It will take a bit longer to traverse the country about 1000miles or so and a few days more. With that, it will be a leisurely tour, so 50-60miles a day. This will allow me ride on 2 bottles and if necessary no food, but that isn't the plan, only 'panic mode' if cafes and alike are shut upon arrival. I've downloaded Sustrans traffic less routes which include cycle paths, canal routes and quiet country lanes.
I will set about building a route/checking bookings etc in September for an potential attempt in April, I fancy going from North to South.
That's a good plan have you factored in any rest days although if your doing around 50 miles a day you should only want 1 a week, and the route is very sensible as your wanting to see the country side.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
That's a good plan have you factored in any rest days although if your doing around 50 miles a day you should only want 1 a week, and the route is very sensible as your wanting to see the country side.

No Dean, 50 a day of gentle riding should be quite easy to attain. See some sights, take photos, visit some places ^_^

bobinski

Legendary Member
Every time i looked into a Lejog i was put off by reading threads where people complained about traffic heavy routes and near passes/accidents. I wondered why Sustrans didn't campaign for something like the green route london to Paris (better in France of course), quietish roads, protected where necessary, changes to local vehicle speeds.

Top Bottom