Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuhaL

Guru
I bonked, had to get off after I lost the group with Juhal in it about 10 miles from home and get some flap jack, jumped back on and finished^_^
I almost start to panic when i lost you in a group and noticed soon after that you are dropped far away from the group. I almost consider of u-turn to return and take a look what happened ^_^.

JuhaL

Guru
Now afterwards i think it was better for me ride this 100km sportive instead of DIRT XLR Xtra Long Ride what was my actual plan at the beginning. This was better training in a group, double draft probably help a lot but i don't mind for that.

LBHIFI

Veteran
Good efforts all round last night chaps. I dipped in and saw @berty bassett pull @bridgy in on the short climb, only for the cheddar chugger to gap him again on the descent and hold strong to the finish. A fine example of pure watts holding off high w/kg :notworthy:.

Updated table below following yesterday's results. let me know if I've missed anyone's times or if you put in a solo effort.
View attachment 489494

Stage 2 35:49 for me.

I just tried Di2 for the first time on my vacation and I was less than impressed. I felt like the lever didn't give me the right feedback. Several times my fingers thought I changed gear while my legs could tell I didn't. It was like playing the plastic keyboard of a cheap Casio vs the keys on a real grand piano.
I'm not in a hurry to get Di2. If I get electronic shifters next time, it will be the "full" wireless package just for the sake of getting rid of the cables.
Thank you very much for posting this. After reading @Whorty 's post I started looking at what it would take to upgrade. The Sram Etap is very expensive and the D2i would be almost as costly. Like my selective reading of any article I agree with-"chocolate is good for you" - I will now adopt this outlook and save $2000.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I'm not going to be able to do the race on Tuesday night. I am happy to still set up the meetup but I don't know if it still works OK if the person who sets it up doesn't turn up! Maybe we can do a quick experiment to test this? I just need a volunteer who I can invite to a meetup but not turn up myself and see if it still works OK for you!

Alternatively someone else can obviously do the meetup - you just need everyone you need to invite to be following you on the Zwift companion app

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Thank you very much for posting this. After reading @Whorty 's post I started looking at what it would take to upgrade. The Sram Etap is very expensive and the D2i would be almost as costly. Like my selective reading of any article I agree with-"chocolate is good for you" - I will now adopt this outlook and save $2000.
It's interesting. Before I bought the bike I wasn't bothered. In fact, I only got the Di2 because it was on the bike I wanted - if I could have bought the same bike but with standard Ultegra, then I would have. I even test rode a bike previously with Di2 and wasn't that impressed.

But ......

For me at least, riding it for 2 hours, on rolling terrain with lots of gear changing, it was great. Seemless changes, never missed a beat. Smooth changes between small and large ring on the front. Never had this before. But then maybe that's why, for me, it was such a positive experience. My Boardman has Sora gears that were less than smooth!

Personally It's the right decision. For someone with high end mechanical gears already, or is more experienced at gear changing (!), then Di2 might be overkill. Each to their own 👍

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
It's interesting. Before I bought the bike I wasn't bothered. In fact, I only got the Di2 because it was on the bike I wanted - if I could have bought the same bike but with standard Ultegra, then I would have. I even test rode a bike previously with Di2 and wasn't that impressed.

But ......

For me at least, riding it for 2 hours, on rolling terrain with lots of gear changing, it was great. Seemless changes, never missed a beat. Smooth changes between small and large ring on the front. Never had this before. But then maybe that's why, for me, it was such a positive experience. My Boardman has Sora gears that were less than smooth!

Personally It's the right decision. For someone with high end mechanical gears already, or is more experienced at gear changing (!), then Di2 might be overkill. Each to their own 👍
I think it takes a few hours to get into the Di2 swing of things. Once you get used to not swinging the levers as far as you would on a mechanical set you then find that the changes are almost subconscious.

I never seemed to be in the wrong gear with my set-up. I think because it is so light and instantaneous you just tap through.

The only weird thing is the synchro shifting. But even there it doesn't take long to get used to it.

JuhaL

Guru
I think it takes a few hours to get into the Di2 swing of things. Once you get used to not swinging the levers as far as you would on a mechanical set you then find that the changes are almost subconscious.

I never seemed to be in the wrong gear with my set-up. I think because it is so light and instantaneous you just tap through.

The only weird thing is the synchro shifting. But even there it doesn't take long to get used to it.
I agree with the synchro-shifting. Maybe you get use to it irl ride but automatic and semi-auto doesn't work when you do indoor training it just change too big steps, that's how i felt when i test it. Personally i don't mind the light touch with shifters because i can feel my legs if i change the gears. If i don't then it never happened. But people have different taste so good that there are options.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I'm not going to be able to do the race on Tuesday night. I am happy to still set up the meetup but I don't know if it still works OK if the person who sets it up doesn't turn up! Maybe we can do a quick experiment to test this? I just need a volunteer who I can invite to a meetup but not turn up myself and see if it still works OK for you!

Alternatively someone else can obviously do the meetup - you just need everyone you need to invite to be following you on the Zwift companion app
If anyone is able to start up zwift and their trainer to do a test on this today please let me know. I will invite you to a test meetup and we just need to see if you can still start the meetup ride normally if I don't turn up...

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
If anyone is able to start up zwift and their trainer to do a test on this today please let me know. I will invite you to a test meetup and we just need to see if you can still start the meetup ride normally if I don't turn up...
I'm hoping to ride later, but can't guarantee yet when. If I can ride, and no one else has volunteered, I'll let you know.

Same about tomorrow - I'd volunteer to set up the ride but can't guarantee I can ride yet. Sorry.

LBHIFI

Veteran
I also tried this one on my vacation.

1571647692327.png

Beat several world tour riders just doing a zone 2/3 ride up a mountain stretch. It has the capacity to go 70 km normal riding, but I used 40% of the battery on that 16 min mountain stretch in "high" mode. Very impressed by that e-bike.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I also tried this one on my vacation.

View attachment 489949

Beat several world tour riders just doing a zone 2/3 ride up a mountain stretch. It has the capacity to go 70 km normal riding, but I used 40% of the battery on that 16 min mountain stretch in "high" mode. Very impressed by that e-bike.

Its the future of older age cyclists or those with physical impediments that restrict cycling duration.

My Mrs loves her Ebike. From not wanting to go on rides to she instantly cycled 20 miles with no flare up of her issues. She has on a few occasions tried to use less assist but it results in pain returning to her hips.

Also they are great fun to shoot up steep inclines easily^_^

Top Bottom