Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Del C

Veteran
You may know this already but another factor may be that Zwift applies a slight braking force to you on descents (but NOT in proper, organised races). This is to ensure you can soft pedal and be caught by a group behind relatively easily in non-race group rides - which in theory is what we're meant to be doing in a meetup! So I wonder if this has the affect of giving the group even more of a speed advantage on descents than on the flat or uphill?
Ah yes.

I read about the braking force just a couple of days ago.

Maybe that explains it?

Can you send me an invite for tomorrow race please mate.
Back from your visit to the states? How was it?

LBHIFI

Veteran
Yeah, there's lots of small gripes with the current system - why do Zwift hate racing so much??!

Easiest way around the issue you mention is we all stick together until the start banner and only start racing from then. Could start giving that a try again if you like? As you say, it's still not an "easily workable" solution because there's potential for it going wrong, and less clear who would set the pre-banner pac if I'm not there if I'm the "leader" for example.
Or we could introducer sprint bonus seconds.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Yeah, there's lots of small gripes with the current system - why do Zwift hate racing so much??!

Easiest way around the issue you mention is we all stick together until the start banner and only start racing from then. Could start giving that a try again if you like? As you say, it's still not an "easily workable" solution because there's potential for it going wrong, and less clear who would set the pre-banner pac if I'm not there if I'm the "leader" for example.

my tactic is to try and cross the line as close to the bloke with the big arrow above his head as possible! I think it’ll be quite hard to enforce an official rolling start. But my own logic is that you are pretty much my benchmark for where I want to be. And the fact you have the big arrow makes it much easier to pick you out than anyone else.
But at the same time I think it would be tough on you if you were expected to ‘hold the line’ as it were. Because you might well want to start your race in different ways depending on how you’re feeling.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I agree with this.

I mean it is what it is, so we have to adapt to ride with how the Sim controls these things, but your post sums up what I was thinking last night.

Heading uphill towards the jungle I managed to grow the gap from 10s to 12s. That was quite a pull, I enjoyed it and was feeling happy with myself. Went over the summit and started the descent to the jungle and then I'm watching the gap plummet, yet I was still riding quite hard.

Suddenly the whole group was on me. The I had to push to stay with them, but once that was over I was comfortable in the group. So, although I'd lost 12s in no time at all, once I was in the group I was quite capable of staying with them............ until the group split again!

Just felt very odd.
i think the way this works is something like this ....

Guy being chased is pushing 3 w/kg and moving at 35 kph (for example)

5 guys chasing. Chap pulling is pulling at 3 w/kg and 35 kph. 4 guys sitting in, if they also push 3 w/kg one will eventually move faster, say 36 kph and take the lead. He will slow down eventually to 35 kph as he's no longer getting a draft but the group would be moving at 36 kph for a short time. Of course, someone else will now move forward at 36 kph and other 4 will draft at this speed. This will continue whilst the chasers continue to push and drift through.

I was watching this happen last night. I was on the limit so rarely doing the same w/kg as you Del, but the others were pushing quite hard between them.

I think it's more noticeable on descents but happens on flats too.

Last night I dropped Steen and Dean on the KoM, but as Pete and Adam caught them, they jumped on and easily caught me up. I saw this happening which is why i tried to save some energy to latch on to them to then let them bring me to you. Shame I got stuck in a sticky draft (again!!) and lost the group, but I was on my limit so not really a big surprise :tongue:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I’d agree with no mountain bikes until they bring out a mtb / gravel wheel that can be bought in the drops store...and give everyone a months notice that the MTB will become legit in the next series.

On the rolling start I think we should be able to manage with the in game chat to agree a leader at the start and the leader then caps the roll out to 2.5wkg starting as soon as the timer goes to 0:00. Anyone taking a flyer will soon be called out. 🧐

Reactions: Add

<Tommy>

I’d agree with no mountain bikes until they bring out a mtb / gravel wheel that can be bought in the drops store...and give everyone a months notice that the MTB will become legit in the next series.

On the rolling start I think we should be able to manage with the in game chat to agree a leader at the start and the leader then caps the roll out to 2.5wkg starting as soon as the timer goes to 0:00. Anyone taking a flyer will soon be called out. 🧐

when does the clock go to 0:00 Al? You mean as we set off or is there a timer on screen as we cross under a banner?

Del C

Veteran
i think the way this works is something like this ....

Guy being chased is pushing 3 w/kg and moving at 35 kph (for example)

5 guys chasing. Chap pulling is pulling at 3 w/kg and 35 kph. 4 guys sitting in, if they also push 3 w/kg one will eventually move faster, say 36 kph and take the lead. He will slow down eventually to 35 kph as he's no longer getting a draft but the group would be moving at 36 kph for a short time. Of course, someone else will now move forward at 36 kph and other 4 will draft at this speed. This will continue whilst the chasers continue to push and drift through.

I was watching this happen last night. I was on the limit so rarely doing the same w/kg as you Del, but the others were pushing quite hard between them.

I think it's more noticeable on descents but happens on flats too.

Last night I dropped Steen and Dean on the KoM, but as Pete and Adam caught them, they jumped on and easily caught me up. I saw this happening which is why i tried to save some energy to latch on to them to then let them bring me to you. Shame I got stuck in a sticky draft (again!!) and lost the group, but I was on my limit so not really a big surprise :tongue:
That may explain it.

In real life, that's pretty much what happens on the flats, I don't think the effect on descents is anywhere near what happens on Zwift. Chasing somebody on a descent takes quite a lot of effort and quite a lot of skill.

Del C

Veteran
My personal view is to keep race starts simple until Zwift introduce better meet-up race functionality.

I think we'd agreed that if it's a TT, ride at whatever speed you want to the start banner and then full on until the end banner.

If it's a race, then ride at the speed you need to get with the group you want to be with and then its game on from the start banner to the end banner.

I accept it would be much better if we could actually start at the start banner and end at the end banner as in any normal Zwift race, and not at some spawn point some distance back, but the racing has actually been pretty enjoyable, even allowing for the current slightly random starting method.

I don't think its thrown up any unexpected results, even though its caught a few people out to a small degree when they are unsure where they've crossed the start line relative to others.

I think it will just be too hard for @bridgy or anybody to try and police the group until we pass the official start line.

As for MTB, agree with the comments above. It'll be interesting to see what happens when somebody tries the first bike swap in the jungle!

<Tommy>

My personal view is to keep race starts simple until Zwift introduce better meet-up race functionality.

I think we'd agreed that if it's a TT, ride at whatever speed you want to the start banner and then full on until the end banner.

If it's a race, then ride at the speed you need to get with the group you want to be with and then its game on from the start banner to the end banner.

I accept it would be much better if we could actually start at the start banner and end at the end banner as in any normal Zwift race, and not at some spawn point some distance back, but the racing has actually been pretty enjoyable, even allowing for the current slightly random starting method.

I don't think its thrown up any unexpected results, even though its caught a few people out to a small degree when they are unsure where they've crossed the start line relative to others.

I think it will just be too hard for @bridgy or anybody to try and police the group until we pass the official start line.

As for MTB, agree with the comments above. It'll be interesting to see what happens when somebody tries the first bike swap in the jungle!

I think so too del. But I’m happy to try whatever anyone else wants to. like I say, I look out for Bridgy’s arrow because it suits me.

I do think we should all be posting on the zwift forum if we want things to change though. Because I wouldn’t want to think it’ll remain the way it is forever if we can push for improvements.

Top Bottom