Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
iOS update on Zwift which addresses the incorrect mileage as well as other bug fixes

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
For the very first time in Zwift, I've made a purchase using Drops in the 'Shop' - ENVE SES 3.4 wheels which supposedly make me go faster and better at climbing. We'll see when I get to test them out. ^_^

Purchase dictated to a certain degree by my level (9), number of Drops (I have vs. cost), how good the wheel is, and what's open to me in the shop.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Here's a question that I can guess the answer to but be nice to know it's not just wishful thinking .....

The area around my bottom bracket, front deraileur etc is full of gunk, sticky etc due to the hours on the turbo. So bad I can't even change the front ring now from large to small. Quite a bit of rust around the bottom bracket. Basically not looking too good! Planning to take it to LBS to have a full clean up, probably need to switch out parts.

Question is, will this be slowing me down? Am I losing watts through the drive train as the gunk is fighting against me? I've lost a good 20-30 watts over the last 6 months, even though I feel like I'm pushing harder, so wondering if I clean everything up with pedaling get smoother.

Like I say, I know the answer is "get the bloody thing cleaned up" but just interested in clever techy people's views.

I give mine a spray with GT85 every other week and do the chain monthly, I have little rust spots on my neo hinges from the sweat, bloody corrosive that sweat

edit
Forgot to add ,get it cleaned

Last edited:

JuhaL

Guru
Generally speaking i think clean bike is faster. If you can’t change front gears, that will slow you down, especially if you need that small ring in a deep gradient. You can do larger ring but sooner or later your legs are toast. I have try to find solution to keep my chain clean for longer without success. From the frame side chain always come very black, doesn’t matter how well i clean it before.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Here's a question that I can guess the answer to but be nice to know it's not just wishful thinking .....

The area around my bottom bracket, front deraileur etc is full of gunk, sticky etc due to the hours on the turbo. So bad I can't even change the front ring now from large to small. Quite a bit of rust around the bottom bracket. Basically not looking too good! Planning to take it to LBS to have a full clean up, probably need to switch out parts.

Question is, will this be slowing me down? Am I losing watts through the drive train as the gunk is fighting against me? I've lost a good 20-30 watts over the last 6 months, even though I feel like I'm pushing harder, so wondering if I clean everything up with pedaling get smoother.

Like I say, I know the answer is "get the bloody thing cleaned up" but just interested in clever techy people's views.
Get the bloody thing cleaned up!

View: https://youtu.be/O7FxZ1kFIW0

JuhaL

Guru
Maybe it just my opinion but i would say indoor training is tougher to bike and components than outdoor. Sometimes my drivedrain keep noises what i don’t hear irl.

"Get the bloody thing cleaned UP" a clean bike is a happy bike

berty bassett

Legendary Member
You will definitely be losing watts if everything is gunked up - whether it is 20 wts I don’t know , really worth keeping things proper clean - that means everything , chain cassette front rings - everything you can
Lightly oil as well - and don’t forget your shifters - sweat gets in there and corrodes everything up
And wipe down afterwards - I lost a good bike to sweat - also I would take front brake off a turbo bike , leave it on and it will get knackered

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw

I lost a FSA chainset to rust from the BB bearings going to shiv. The left side bearings had rusted to fug away and in doing so rusted the spindle, I could not get the drive side bearings off of the spindle when I went to change the BB due to looseness. Lesson learned.

My front deraileur is not in good nick either but it changes ok at the moment (well it did when I last used it 6 months ago, :ohmy:, I've been off of the bike for 6 months :cry::cursing::cry:). I hope my leg gets sorted soon :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Top Bottom