Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterob

Veteran
Been away at one of @CXRAndy's old stomping grounds, Ilkley this weekend, so just catching up on what's going on. Didn't get a chance to take my bike up some of the climbs round there though, which is just as well considering the 50mph winds and floods :eek:. I did spot one poor cyclist battling into a headwind on the way back. Made of strong stuff these Yorkshire folk. Or maybe just soft int 'ead.

I managed to put my back out earlier unloading the shopping at Aldi. But I hope it won't keep me out of action too long as I was intending to be back racing with you guys this week 😠.

League updated with the latest results. @berty bassett has taken a leaf out of Primoz Roglic's book and demonstrated that winter sports is the best preparation for a strong ride. His stage 7 ride is giving him the current lead on the final stage. A good effort on his missing stage during the makeup week would give him a crack at the podium too.

Makeup days are until next Sunday, so a week to complete any missing stages. I think there's some 'prize' from Zwift for completing all seven stages too, with rumours of a bike being awarded. Does anyone know?

Well done all who've completed the tour to date :bravo:

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Didn't get a chance to take my bike up some of the climbs round there though, which is just as well considering the 50mph winds and floods :eek:

I'd seen some photos of Skipton, Ripon flooded rivers. They must have had lots of rain. We here in Lincs got off lightly just high winds and a few trees down

Did you see the Cow n Calf just above Ilkley? The climb is a challenge

peterob

Veteran
I'd seen some photos of Skipton, Ripon flooded rivers. They must have had lots of rain. We here in Lincs got off lightly just high winds and a few trees down

Did you see the Cow n Calf just above Ilkley? The climb is a challenge
I did the Cow n Calf back in 2014 when the TdF was in town. A great pub up there too with superb panoramic views. There were plenty of cyclists up there having a fine ale or two :cheers:

steverob

Guru
Just completed Stage 3 on catch-up. 1:44:13

Definitely my worst performance out of all of the stages, but knew that today was never going to be a day to set a fast time, especially over that distance/elevation and knowing that I was going to be riding solo for 95% of it (only 80-something took part, compared to the 400+ you typically got first time round). However I felt it was better to get it out of the way today than risk waiting until next weekend - family emergencies took care of much of this weekend, so feel that I should be grateful I had time to do a ride at all!

Congratulations to everyone who has completed the tour, and all you got for it was a lousy virtual jersey :biggrin:

Relatively happy with my Stage 1 performance, 1:36:37. A very small field, but I feel like I paced it well and managed to keep a lid on the daft HR stuff from last time (apart from the last half mile of the climb, I was being chased and had to put the hammer down to stay clear)

Only real annoyance was when I tried to get out of the saddle the bike nearly tipped over - the turbo wasn't flat on the ground.
Stopped on a descent but by the time I got everything seated properly the group I had been in was 40 seconds up the road, I had a lonely ride after that, by the end they'd gained 5 minutes on me. Dirty drafting cheaters! (says the man using virtualpower when he knows Zwift over-reports his power by 10-20% compared to GC :whistle:)

JuhaL

Guru
Congratulations to everyone who has completed the tour, and all you got for it was a lousy virtual jersey :biggrin:

Relatively happy with my Stage 1 performance, 1:36:37. A very small field, but I feel like I paced it well and managed to keep a lid on the daft HR stuff from last time (apart from the last half mile of the climb, I was being chased and had to put the hammer down to stay clear)

Only real annoyance was when I tried to get out of the saddle the bike nearly tipped over - the turbo wasn't flat on the ground.
Stopped on a descent but by the time I got everything seated properly the group I had been in was 40 seconds up the road, I had a lonely ride after that, by the end they'd gained 5 minutes on me. Dirty drafting cheaters! (says the man using virtualpower when he knows Zwift over-reports his power by 10-20% compared to GC :whistle:)
I have a bad feeling when indoor season is over and i do my first outdoor ride, i might forgot that i'm not attached to trainer. I might get busy when i finish my ride and stop pedaling and noticed that my shoes are still locked to pedals when speed is zero :biggrin:.

I have a bad feeling when indoor season is over and i do my first outdoor ride, i might forgot that i'm not attached to trainer. I might get busy when i finish my ride and stop pedaling and noticed that my shoes are still locked to pedals when speed is zero :biggrin:.
I'm more worried that I might forget that I don't need to simulate climbing resistance in real life and that changing up to my highest gear on a climb will end rather poorly :laugh:

BurningLegs

Veteran
Looks like if you get within a minute of me on stage 3 you'll pip me ..... probably promotion to B next league, so this is your chance at Cat C glory :okay:
I think it’s unlikely I will manage it, to be honest. I’m assuming there will be fewer riders on the catch up events so expected pace slower?

I will give it my all, though! :boxing:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I found I had a spare chain today so i changed him - it looks a bit more than 1% elongation - 2 full links - the grime from roads around here has been like grinding paste but that doesn’t excuse the lack of maintenance. I’m hoping the cassette isn’t banjaxed or it could cause more slipping. I’ll give it a test out on the old bkool trainer during the week.

x
E7B1D8F2-F846-477A-A59B-C1D7C45124B5.jpeg

JuhaL

Guru
I found I had a spare chain today so i changed him - it looks a bit more than 1% elongation - 2 full links - the grime from roads around here has been like grinding paste but that doesn’t excuse the lack of maintenance. I’m hoping the cassette isn’t banjaxed or it could cause more slipping. I’ll give it a test out on the old bkool trainer during the week.

x View attachment 503929
Indoor training is tough for mechanics, especially for drivetrain. I would change cassette as well without extra inspection.

Milzy

Guru
Indoor training is tough for mechanics, especially for drivetrain. I would change cassette as well without extra inspection.
I've got 2 noisey sprocks, I've had so many adjustments but it's still the same. It's an Ultegra 11-28 6800. The Chain seems ok so I'm thinking maybe those two sprocks are mostly used and that's why. Bad idea having a decent block on the turbo, will wear out quicker. Think I'll change it soon and see if it's any better.

Top Bottom