Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Why not at least list the trainer models used in a race, like on BKOOL? Doing automated performance downgrade on specific trainer models wouldn’t work - or would at least be very difficult to do fair/correct. The old Bkool Pro sometimes was fine in the watts and sometimes off, as I expect other cheap (wheel-on) trainers to be as well. How can you tell if the watts reported are real or not and when to apply the downgrade?

The BKOOL Smart Bike also (always?) sometimes reports 20-30% more watts than really produced, and I suspect lots of other home trainers of that kind may do the same.

I think it‘s just Zwift not wanting to aggrevate their users and thus maybe loose subscribers. Likewise they don’t want to discredit XYZ trainer brand, as any trainer bought is a potential Zwift customer. This may change when/if they start making their own home trainers. Eric didn’t really answer that question in the interview.

Bkool was actually pretty bold when they changed their speed/watts algorithm this past fall, aggrevating a lot of old users as they suddenly no longer were watt monsters. :laugh: However, the different revisions of the Pro etc. reacted different to the new algorithm, and some actually became useless. It is BKOOL after all. :laugh:
But those of us using a direct drive trainer however were glad to see the changes, as it allowed for fair racing again.

I am tempted to agree but they could do it “fairly” with a background % change with most peeps being none the wiser. Kickr 1 on original firmware? Knocking it down x% I am talking about levelling the playing field in circumstances where it isn’t level not looking for absolute accuracy. Personally I think absolute accuracy on an online platform is a rabbit hole. But you can make it fairer. Wheel on trainers? Zpower? Do something similar.

We could see the return of bkool 😉😂 I was reading about the new drafting algorithm. I wish Wahoo or trainer road would buy them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Its snowing:hyper:

Sledging, snowballs

bridgy

Legendary Member
I am tempted to agree but they could do it “fairly” with a background % change with most peeps being none the wiser. Kickr 1 on original firmware? Knocking it down x% I am talking about levelling the playing field in circumstances where it isn’t level not looking for absolute accuracy. Personally I think absolute accuracy on an online platform is a rabbit hole. But you can make it fairer. Wheel on trainers? Zpower? Do something similar.

We could see the return of bkool 😉😂 I was reading about the new drafting algorithm. I wish Wahoo or trainer road would buy them.
With the level of market share Zwift have now got, it's going to take a HUGE effort for anyone to make serious in-roads however good they are. It's a bit like Strava - they don't have to be perfect because they have market share.

I think this is one of the reasons Zwift are tending to be very cautious with their updates and things don't move as quickly as we'd like - they just need to concentrate on making sure the platform is stable for the growing number of users and make it look nice. I think they have an understandable philosophy of "if it's not broke, don't fix it - unless we're REALLY sure"! Annoying for us, but possibly understandable from a business perspective particularly when they have little competition forcing them to move any quicker.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Its snowing:hyper:

Sledging, snowballs

View attachment 504010
I've been struggling with the weather here also :whistle:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Just did Stage 3 again. Improved my time by....3 seconds :rolleyes:

I thought I would try the bike swap to the mountain bike in the jungle - niether gained or lost me anything. Entered the jungle in a group of four. Lost 25 seconds on them changing bikes, soon caught them up and passed them, gained a 25 second lead and then lost it all changing bikes again! Left the jungle in exactly the same group!

Far fewer riders than first time round so I think you'd have to really be going some to get an improved time in one of these re-runs. Only 40 group A finishers in ZP - I came 8th.

Top Bottom