Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
@CXRAndy @Del C @Brendan Parker @mjd1988 @Freelanderuk

Are we having any team tactics tonight? I assume if any of us make it into the lead group then we work hard to stay there, but if some (all of us!) don't make the break, are we looking to group up? On a flat fast course like this we'll all likely be within a minute of each other anyway, so might be good practice/fun to group up if we are out of the top 35 places and no real points on offer. What do others think?

But then .... I have the worst 20 minute power so most likely to get dropped first so I'll be the one on this course begging for help :laugh: Del and I need a good KoM route to even things out :biggrin:

1582622949336.png

Whorty

.... plus the red mist would probably descend and I wouldn't be able to resist racing as hard as I can :smile:
Yes, that is the risk unfortunately. I even do that on workouts ... if I'm coming to a sprint, or top of a KoM, if someone is near I come out of ERG mode just to beat them :banghead: Totally against the ethos of the workout ... but hey, what else choice do I have? :whistle: :rofl:

Brusgaard

Über Guru

Are we having any team tactics tonight? I assume if any of us make it into the lead group then we work hard to stay there, but if some (all of us!) don't make the break, are we looking to group up? On a flat fast course like this we'll all likely be within a minute of each other anyway, so might be good practice/fun to group up if we are out of the top 35 places and no real points on offer. What do others think?

But then .... I have the worst 20 minute power so most likely to get dropped first so I'll be the one on this course begging for help :laugh: Del and I need a good KoM route to even things out :biggrin:

View attachment 505942

It's watt/kg that counts, not absolute watts. You and Derek have the highest 20 min. w/kg!

Whorty

Will having some D's help the overalls? I've got a 4 day hangover but might make tonight if it will help.
If you're feeling up for a ride, why not join us in C? You have a decent FTP and this is a flat course so your added 'muscle' won't slow you down. w/kg is less of an issue on a course like this ... pure watts is a bigger factor. Saying that though, staying in D may well see you doing well so maybe go for glory in D cat :okay:

Whorty

It's watt/kg that counts, not absolute watts. You and Derek have the highest 20 min. w/kg!
Not on a flat course .... w/kg is faster on hills, but on the flats pure watts creates more speed (in Zwift anyway). As lighter riders we have to be careful not to exceed the C limit of w/kg, but a heavier rider can throw out more watts and still be within the limits and blow us away.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Projector wasn't any use.

1. not bright enough and
2 the PC didn't like 3 video outputs - kept switching screens, so the 2 Display port monitors will stay..

It's a HP Elite G1 Small form factor with a 4th Gen i5 and on-chip graphics - runs Zwift in HD fine, whilst streaming netflix in HD.

View attachment 505942

I will be joining the pen early to hopefully latch on to some of the front runners from the start then just giving it my all😀 and hanging on for grim death 🚴‍♂️🤬

bridgy

Legendary Member
Not on a flat course .... w/kg is faster on hills, but on the flats pure watts creates more speed (in Zwift anyway). As lighter riders we have to be careful not to exceed the C limit of w/kg, but a heavier rider can throw out more watts and still be within the limits and blow us away.
From this article - https://zwiftinsider.com/rider-weight-speed/

EFFECT OF RIDER WEIGHT ON FLAT ROADS
Flat tests were completed over two laps of the Tempus Fugit route.

TEST RESULTS
  • 82kg @ 300 watts: 52 minutes, 17 seconds (39.7kph)
  • 75kg @ 300 watts: 51 minutes, 26 seconds (40.4kph) – 51 seconds faster
FLAT TEST OBSERVATIONS
While some Zwifters like to say “it’s all about pure watts on flat roads,” it’s not that simple. Weight does affect your speed on the flats in Zwift, since it changes your computed CdA. Or to put it another way: two riders of the same height but different weights will have different CdA values in Zwift, meaning the heavier rider will need to push more watts to keep up with the lighter rider, who is encountering less (virtual) air resistance.

If the C Cat race is anything like the B's prepare for a very fast start with no let up for AGES!!
I manage

View attachment 505942
I’m not convinced we can plan any tactics to be honest. Balls out off the line and see how it pans out. I would say though if 3 of us find ourselves in the lead group and some in the second a few slowing,messing and splitting the chasing group might help.:ph34r:

Whorty

From this article - https://zwiftinsider.com/rider-weight-speed/

EFFECT OF RIDER WEIGHT ON FLAT ROADS
Flat tests were completed over two laps of the Tempus Fugit route.

TEST RESULTS
  • 82kg @ 300 watts: 52 minutes, 17 seconds (39.7kph)
  • 75kg @ 300 watts: 51 minutes, 26 seconds (40.4kph) – 51 seconds faster
FLAT TEST OBSERVATIONS
While some Zwifters like to say “it’s all about pure watts on flat roads,” it’s not that simple. Weight does affect your speed on the flats in Zwift, since it changes your computed CdA. Or to put it another way: two riders of the same height but different weights will have different CdA values in Zwift, meaning the heavier rider will need to push more watts to keep up with the lighter rider, who is encountering less (virtual) air resistance.
Wow!! Goes against what I've read previously (and even what the Danish guys wrote in the article about this race ... specifically they quoted a 74kg rider who might struggle due to his light weight!)

All I need to do now is learn to push 300 watts for 51 minutes :laugh: ... I can do the 1 minute ... just 50 more to go :training:

Whorty

I manage

I’m not convinced we can plan any tactics to be honest. Balls out off the line and see how it pans out. I would say though if 3 of us find ourselves in the lead group and some in the second a few slowing,messing and splitting the chasing group might help.:ph34r:
That's quite a decent plan to be fair. Sticky draft can be used to some effect to drop riders from a group, or make them work hard to get back on again.

Re: my preparation for tonight .... I'm on my 4th cup of coffee of the day ..... I'll be buzzing by 7 tonight :hyper:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Wow!! Goes against what I've read previously (and even what the Danish guys wrote in the article about this race ... specifically they quoted a 74kg rider who might struggle due to his light weight!)

All I need to do now is learn to push 300 watts for 51 minutes :laugh: ... I can do the 1 minute ... just 50 more to go :training:
Haha! Yeah I think the takeaway from that is you don't have to be doing the same watts as a heavier rider to be going the same speed, even on the flat. And if you can match the watts of a heavier rider you'll go faster than them on the flat. Remember, heavier riders are also often taller so this affects their CdA in Zwift too.

So be confident!!

Del C

Veteran

I agree with this.

I aim to go hard from the start tonight as I think that's been missing for me since I started racing again. If I get into a good group near the front then fine, if not I'll hang on as long as I can.

Of course, a water start will probably take more out of me and I may risk blowing up, but the slower start last week really punished me, so I need to change tactics.

So, if we can get a few up the road and others can help split the groups that sounds good to me.

Whorty

Haha! Yeah I think the takeaway from that is you don't have to be doing the same watts as a heavier rider to be going the same speed, even on the flat. And if you can match the watts of a heavier rider you'll go faster than them on the flat. Remember, heavier riders are also often taller so this affects their CdA in Zwift too.

So be confident!!
I watched a video of Chris Pritchard racing where he was trying the theory that you should be able to only push 200 or so watts to stay in a blob and not get dropped. Was some time ago now so no link, but (mostly) it worked. I think it was in London so every time there was a lump he'd have to push more to get over, then he could sit back in again at 200+ watts.

Of course, you have to get into the blob first ... :laugh:

Top Bottom