Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I watched a video of Chris Pritchard racing where he was trying the theory that you should be able to only push 200 or so watts to stay in a blob and not get dropped. Was some time ago now so no link, but (mostly) it worked. I think it was in London so every time there was a lump he'd have to push more to get over, then he could sit back in again at 200+ watts.

Of course, you have to get into the blob first ... :laugh:
Riding efficiently in the draft in Zwift is a real art. It's so easy to get shot out the back of a group if you ease up too much and you're not careful, so most people probably do more watts than they actually need to. I think this is one of the reasons groups of drafting riders move so bloomin quick in Zwift even if no one is ever really pushing hard at the front as such.

I've said it before but in my opinion drafting was MUCH better executed in Bkool with the drop in resistance which you could feel.

Joffey

Big Dosser
If you're feeling up for a ride, why not join us in C? You have a decent FTP and this is a flat course so your added 'muscle' won't slow you down. w/kg is less of an issue on a course like this ... pure watts is a bigger factor. Saying that though, staying in D may well see you doing well so maybe go for glory in D cat :okay:

Not feeling great so might just see how I get on in D - you never know, if there are a load of sandbaggers I might get a Podium lol

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
From this article - https://zwiftinsider.com/rider-weight-speed/

EFFECT OF RIDER WEIGHT ON FLAT ROADS
Flat tests were completed over two laps of the Tempus Fugit route.

TEST RESULTS
  • 82kg @ 300 watts: 52 minutes, 17 seconds (39.7kph)
  • 75kg @ 300 watts: 51 minutes, 26 seconds (40.4kph) – 51 seconds faster
FLAT TEST OBSERVATIONS
While some Zwifters like to say “it’s all about pure watts on flat roads,” it’s not that simple. Weight does affect your speed on the flats in Zwift, since it changes your computed CdA. Or to put it another way: two riders of the same height but different weights will have different CdA values in Zwift, meaning the heavier rider will need to push more watts to keep up with the lighter rider, who is encountering less (virtual) air resistance.

I think the algorithm for bigger riders slightly disadvantages them in a pack. Speed is about correct for individual riding

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
How's that Andy? As in what's the disadvantage for bigger riders in the pack?

It maybe my lack of top fitness, but I find when in a pack im working harder to stay there. When one on one I find I can be more comfortable. It could all be down to try and hang with B riders for too long. Tonight will be interesting, Im not so fit, its solely C on a flat course, so theory says I should be comfortable drafting in a group

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I think the algorithm for bigger riders slightly disadvantages them in a pack. Speed is about correct for individual riding

Wouldn’t you have to actually ride your bike outside to make that conclusion Andy? :scratch: 😄

Seriously though l don’t know how you could make any kind of accurate estimation of how realistically the draft effects zwift compared to the outside world. There’s just so many factors to allow for.

Comparing how size effects speed when riding solo would be a bit more easy to compare. But without data to back it up you’re basically just making a blind guess

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Riding efficiently in the draft in Zwift is a real art. It's so easy to get shot out the back of a group if you ease up too much and you're not careful, so most people probably do more watts than they actually need to. I think this is one of the reasons groups of drafting riders move so bloomin quick in Zwift even if no one is ever really pushing hard at the front as such.

I've said it before but in my opinion drafting was MUCH better executed in Bkool with the drop in resistance which you could feel.

Ive developed my tactics a bit for pack drafting. I might be wrong but if you try and ‘surf’ the draft too much you find yourself yo-yo ing to the back of the group. And then if a split comes you’re in trouble. Personally I don’t mind putting a little more power down to hold a position nearer the front of the group. I’ve sort of found this to be my preferred compromise of not pulling at the front but not getting shunted to the back. I don’t think you can take too many liberties if you want to be at the business end of races consistently.

LBHIFI

Veteran
Wouldn’t you have to actually ride your bike outside to make that conclusion Andy? :scratch: 😄

Seriously though l don’t know how you could make any kind of accurate estimation of how realistically the draft effects zwift compared to the outside world. There’s just so many factors to allow for.

Comparing how size effects speed when riding solo would be a bit more easy to compare. But without data to back it up you’re basically just making a blind guess
According to the articles in Feltet. dk, draft in Zwift is only half of that in the real world.

Top Bottom