Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Nah Nah :tongue:

I wish it was just a little more realistic. Ive been wafted along in packs in real life and pacing behind a solo rider. I go from Z2 to Z5 HR from drafting to leading a pack. That never even comes close in Zwift.

the thing is in real life it can be very changeable. If you’re going into a headwind and you go to the front of a group it’s like hitting a wall of bricks at times. But then if there’s no wind or even a tailwind it’s like hitting wel, a softer wall 😄. And of course it depends how fast the group is moving etc etc. That’s just one of many variables.

There’s just too many variables to say with any certainty how accurate zwift is to that. Unless you have numbers to back it up it’s a pretty worthless statement.

bridgy

Legendary Member
What I’m most interested in in this debate isn't how zwift calculate draft to be fair. But the difference between zwift and reality.
Well I assume if you could replicate in the real world all the assumptions about wind, temperature, rolling resistance etc that Zwift use it would be quite accurate (not that you can)

There are bits that are purposefully different to IRL physics like the draft as discussed above and the downhill slope which is only felt as half of what it shows on screen. These were changed to make it a better experience for training - i.e you do actually want to be pedaling against some resistance as you're meant to be having a workout!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
My main ‘issue’ with zwift accuracy is something they can’t do much about. It’s the lack of real world conditions.

No change in weather and perfect tarmac make it directly incomparable to my outside riding experience. Using a power meter bridges the gap but comparing speed averages is a non starter. In that regard zwift is very flattering. That’s partly why I’m highly skeptical about anyone claiming to recognise the precise level of difference between the two with any accuracy without science to back it up.
Are you suggesting I can't do 80kph, downhill, round tight bends, in real life?!? How very dare you :laugh: Sometimes in the dark and when it's raining too, don'tcha know :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

mjd1988

Guru
I manage

I’m not convinced we can plan any tactics to be honest. Balls out off the line and see how it pans out. I would say though if 3 of us find ourselves in the lead group and some in the second a few slowing,messing and splitting the chasing group might help.:ph34r:

I think this is as close to tactics as we will get, just full on sprint for the first 30 seconds then really hard for 3 minutes and hope you end up in a good group

bridgy

Legendary Member
I’m not sure I would to be honest
Well it depends if they've used real physics which is known and measurable. But even if they have, and even if you could replicate the conditions they've assumed there's still a whole bunch of ways they've tweaked things anyway - eg, halving the draft, reducing the effect of downhills, not having to slow for corners etc.

So I do agree trying to compare directly with real life is pretty pointless

Whorty

so, peeps didn’t like it being a little closer to real life 😂
Come back bkool- everything is forgiven and forgotten
Bkool removed drafting at one point ... might be back again now (i'm sure Steen can confirm) but I think it's no longer available for ghosts

Whorty

I think this is as close to tactics as we will get, just full on sprint for the first 30 seconds then really hard for 3 minutes and hope you end up in a good group
Looking at the numbers last week it was sprint for a minute. Followed by full power for 4 minutes. Then 55 minutes of in the red :surrender:

Don't know if anyone has seen @Brusgaard 's video from the B race last week but it's crazy. He was still putting out watts at 5 minutes that I only hold for 1 minute ... and he still got dropped by the B pack :eek: Flippin crazy numbers!

LBHIFI

Veteran
About the watt/kg categories, Feltet.dk says that if a rider go beyond 4.21 watt/kg in cat B for 20 min or more, they will be DQ (4.21 * 0,95 = 4 based on the 20 min FTP calc).
I guess that means that it's ok to do 4.21 watt/kg for 59 min and 59 secs :blink:

Also, they say there's a 2.3 km leadin (so total race is 28 km) to the start/finish line where the only sprint of the day will take place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Don't know if anyone has seen @Brusgaard 's video from the B race last week but it's crazy. He was still putting out watts at 5 minutes that I only hold for 1 minute ... and he still got dropped by the B pack :eek: Flippin crazy numbers!

Yes I watched his video. Very strong those Danes

It shows
that once CCers enter the larger pond, there are some crazy fast riders out there. I do 'doff my cap' to these talented amateurs:okay:

bridgy

Legendary Member
About the watt/kg categories, Feltet.dk says that if a rider go beyond 4.21 watt/kg in cat B for 20 min or more, they will be DQ (4.21 * 0,95 = 4 based on the 20 min FTP calc).
I guess that means that it's ok to do 4.21 watt/kg for 59 min and 59 secs :blink:

Also, they say there's a 2.3 km leadin (so total race is 28 km) to the start/finish line where the only sprint of the day will take place.
Oh well, I'll just have to try to hold myself back from exceeding this then :cuppa:

Top Bottom