Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
I would really like to see us all race the Bologna time trial together some time. 20 odd minutes of pain and vo2 max.

That would be fun... 🤣
Lets do it... 👍
The first 6kms are great...

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
I hope you don’t mind but to help with the admin of it all I’ve made a google spreadsheet (link HERE) and screenshot below.
if everyone can go in and add their times then this will take the hassle away from you. Hopefully it’s self explanatory but each person finds their name, and enters their lap times then the total will be added automatically and a quick sort will give a leader board. We can then sort out handicaps and have a handicap table as well.
Well, I might as well be the first to log my time on the official spreadsheet then - 55 minutes, 45 seconds.

Knowing it was going to take me just under an hour (previous best single lap on a non-TT bike was 28:33), I thought that going out at just a tad over my FTP should see me set for a good time, but that was easier said than done. First 5 minutes was spent surging and coasting - could not maintain a steady wattage unless I was staring intently at the numbers in the top left of the screen. Even once I got into a good rhythm, I could tell that I was probably going a little too fast and towards the end of the first lap the power numbers started to slowly drop; not by much, but it was definitely my legs that were at their limit, as my heart rate was staying pretty steady.

I struggled round the flat bit of the lap two but once I reached the underwater tunnel, I decided I'd try to pick up the pace again and try to limit my second lap losses; plus I didn't want to cross the line feeling that I still had some energy left in the tank. Tried to do a sprint for the line, but barely managed to beat my first lap sprint time!

Plus in the stats at the end of the ride, Zwift showed that I had a new 20 minute power record of 250W (although it didn't come up with the screen saying I had a new FTP strangely), so it does prove I was going as hard as I could - no easing up to get a better handicap here!

Last edited:

BurningLegs

Veteran
Well done @steverob - I think there’s a Chris Boardman quote about pacing a TT where he said that the optimum pace for a TT is one that you “might” be able to carry all the way through. If it’s a pace you know you can hold to the end then you’re going to easy, and if it’s a pace you know you can’t hold to the end then you’re setting yourself up for failure.

Sounds like you got it just right 👍

steverob

Guru
Well done @steverob - I think there’s a Chris Boardman quote about pacing a TT where he said that the optimum pace for a TT is one that you “might” be able to carry all the way through. If it’s a pace you know you can hold to the end then you’re going to easy, and if it’s a pace you know you can’t hold to the end then you’re setting yourself up for failure.

Sounds like you got it just right 👍
Well it wasn't bad, but I think my pacing could still do with a bit more work - at the halfway point of the second lap I was only on target for a 29 minute lap, compared to the 27:30 I did first lap. The effort I put in on the back half brought it down to a 28:15, but I'd have rather had both laps at 27:50-ish (or is that too much to hope for?)

mjd1988

Guru
Well it wasn't bad, but I think my pacing could still do with a bit more work - at the halfway point of the second lap I was only on target for a 29 minute lap, compared to the 27:30 I did first lap. The effort I put in on the back half brought it down to a 28:15, but I'd have rather had both laps at 27:50-ish (or is that too much to hope for?)

Great effort. Just over a minute faster than predicted time.

Did you listen to music or anything just out of interest? I'm not used to doing these long TT efforts

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
This is just me maybe Steve. But I don’t have problem with that. If anything doesn’t it add variation? We’ve just done the same course 4 times (?) in a row. There are so many races on zwift it’s not going to be hard to find one. If it is we can revert back to a meet up for that day. But at the moment we haven’t even tried it this way. For what it’s worth it’s the system they use on the ttt races on Thursdays and it works well.

You could argue it makes it harder to pick handicaps and I think that’s true. But the handicaps are a stab in the dark anyway to be honest. So why not at least race a proper race.
Del you’ve put a lot of thought into it. I’m happy to go with the flow but given the chances of human error, people entering the wrong time...deleting someone else’s time...etc Im siding to go with Tommys suggestion.

let’s just agree Race night is 10 Jul at 7pm As planned
What ever race is on we race it...that way we get some variety in the courses. if there are 2 or 3 races at the same time then we can do a random draw
everyone on TT bikes
The start set off could have a start delay to let the real racers go like the wtrl ttt event
Ok so we don’t have the handicaps but we can Have and overall winner and also a Race against those In the same Zwiftpower category.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=hv9hIfgmKbA

Promo for the Monday race!

@IrishAl looking at the standings, in b cat you are third going into last race but have only done 4/5 races (unlike the 2 above you) so still very much in contention for the series?

thanks @mjd1988. I did the maths and for the Team IRL league I need to finish top 5 And that assumes my good “friend” Doggart wins. We are quite evenly matched in terms of power and weight. I raced him yesterday in the 10am race which also went up the volcano and I matched him all the way up So It’s mine to lose really. There is one other rider also in contention but if I focus on Doggart I should be ok.
The course doesn’t lend itself to breaks before the volcano so I plan on just staying attentive near the front and then mark Mr Doggart on the climb as long as no other IRL riders gets away.
Edu from BRT got upgraded to A during the week so he’ll be out of it.

steverob

Guru
Did you listen to music or anything just out of interest? I'm not used to doing these long TT efforts
I do normally listen to music on headphones anyway when I ride, so today was no different. Sometimes it’s just a random selection from my iPhone library, other times I will pick a particular playlist - this afternoon it was the music of Frank Turner.

The exception is our CC TTT events and some of the DBR leagues, but that’s just because I can’t have Discord and music playing the same time on my phone.

Top Bottom