Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuhaL

Guru
Bernal has retired from 2020 TDF. Not surprising given his lack of form in recent days- attributed to re-occurring back problems :sad:
Pinot isn’t strong anymore as i hoped. Groupama-FDJ better found stronger captain after TdF is rode.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Pinot isn’t strong anymore as i hoped. Groupama-FDJ better found stronger captain after TdF is rode.

I don’t think that’s going to happen juhal. On the uk coverage of the race they had an interview with the team director and he said they were happy enough with Pinot. I think they except the rough with the smooth and he’s very popular in the team and in France. I guess being french he also brings a lot of attention and sponsorship money to the team.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I’d agree that The pace on the flat was relatively tame. I think everyone knew the 2 climbs would be decisive. Once we got over the first climb (and I just about made it with the front) the pace was fairly calm again.
I was disappointed as well to get dropped. It’s always the same for me on those steeper climbs as I find myself sliding backwards early on. I can hold a decent wattage but for some reason I’m always on the back foot trying to stay with the front. The only consolation have is putting a minute into @bridgy in the GC race 😃

😄

Every cloud...

JuhaL

Guru
I don’t think that’s going to happen juhal. On the uk coverage of the race they had an interview with the team director and he said they were happy enough with Pinot. I think they except the rough with the smooth and he’s very popular in the team and in France. I guess being french he also brings a lot of attention and sponsorship money to the team.
I guess Groupama-FDJ still do all the work for Pinot despite that there are 2 FDJ riders better positions on GC. Different teams seems to have different priorities, some teams want good results in a race itself and some teams are satisfied for less. Don't know is it common everywhere else as well but here in Finland athlete have a problems to have sponsorships if you don't have enough followers in a social media, success doesn't mean much anymore like it use to.

steverob

Guru
So with three of the six(?) stages complete in the Sundown Series, let's look at the stats so far...

In B category, @IrishAl sits 17th on 1:39:45 (only 2m 26s behind 1st place), @bridgy is 21st on 1:40:37, with @Brendan Parker in 30th on 1:44:12, so I'd say it's still all to play for as to who gets the bragging rights on here. I'm the only CycleChat rider in C, but currently sit in 14th place on 1:57:08; 10m 36s behind the C leader.

However I do seem to have got myself some rivals - two brothers (I assume) from South Africa, one of whom is just 15 seconds ahead of me, the other 1m 18s behind. I beat them both on the TT stage, and just managed to hold them off last night but only gained 2 seconds - they were in the group chasing me down from the KOM (was 30 secs up at the top but they had other riders to draft off and I didn't). However on the Crit City course last week, when I got dropped from my group with a lap to go, one of them did manage to stay in that group and that's why he's ahead overall.

My problem is that I don't think I'll be able to do Stage 5. It'll be another race home from work like last night, which was a major hassle (made it with 12 minutes to go!) but at least that was only a 45 minute stage with 2 small climbs. Innsbruck KOM After Party is at least an hour and a half long with 3 Leg Snapper laps and then the full KOM at the end - not something I'm really wanting to hurry home for!

Last edited:

mjd1988

Guru
So with three of the six(?) stages complete in the Sundown Series, let's look at the stats so far...

In B category, @IrishAl sits 17th on 1:39:45 (only 2m 26s behind 1st place), @bridgy is 21st on 1:40:37, with @Brendan Parker in 30th on 1:44:12, so I'd say it's still all to play for as to who gets the bragging rights on here. I'm the only CycleChat rider in C, but currently sit in 14th place on 1:57:08; 10m 36s behind the C leader.

However I do seem to have got myself some rivals - two brothers (I assume) from South Africa, one of whom is just 15 seconds ahead of me, the other 1m 18s behind. I beat them both on the TT stage, and just managed to hold them off last night but only gained 2 seconds - they were in the group chasing me down from the KOM (was 30 secs up at the top but they had other riders to draft off and I didn't). However on the Crit City course last week, when I got dropped from my group with a lap to go, one of them did manage to stay in that group and that's why he's ahead overall.

My problem is that I don't think I'll be able to do Stage 5. It'll be another race home from work like last night, which was a major hassle (made it with 12 minutes to go!) but at least that was only a 45 minute stage with 2 small climbs. Innsbruck KOM After Party is at least an hour and a half long with 3 Leg Snapper laps and then the full KOM at the end - not something I'm really wanting to hurry home for!

Good to see that the GC style race series do seem to work, the difficult part is getting to every race.

Joffey

Big Dosser

Give one of us your log on details and we'll do it for you ^_^

mjd1988

Guru
Give one of us your log on details and we'll do it for you ^_^

Genius. Always wonder if the Yates twins have done this in real life.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Phew, pretty fast/hard starting with A cats right @mjd1988? :ohmy: However your average of 3.2 wkg was very low - as usual. :smile:

Seems like they messed up, when they set up the race, making it a "ride" instead of a race and (sort of) mixed Cats start.

mjd1988

Guru
Phew, pretty fast/hard starting with A cats right @mjd1988? :ohmy: However your average of 3.2 wkg was very low - as usual. :smile:

Seems like they messed up, when they set up the race, making it a "ride" instead of a race and (sort of) mixed Cats start.

The pace was just insane throughout so even with the low average I was killing myself to stay at the back :laugh:

With a mixed start and that course it was always going to break apart on the Kom. Your numbers were looking good throughout though!

Brusgaard

Über Guru
The pace was just insane throughout so even with the low average I was killing myself to stay at the back :laugh:

With a mixed start and that course it was always going to break apart on the Kom. Your numbers were looking good throughout though!

Just watched the live stream. It was intentional with the mixed start, and the next 2 races in this series will be the same. They should be fairly flat and on the French routes. I’m gonna do them too, as it is the perfect time of day for me. I can have dinner before the race, and still be finished somewhat early in the evening. :okay:
Yes, sitting in a group on a flat stage makes me happy and I produce more watts. Dropped like a stone when we hit the aquaduct though. :smile: Only 2 B-riders made it over the top with the As, however the rest got in a group with some As and was able to catch the front group again on the downhill. That used to be impossible, and seems more realistic now. :okay:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGQvOKKxKBM

Last edited:

Spartak