Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Rutland just sent me an email with lots of rim brakes for sale. High end though and mainly 2019 stock but a bikes a bike, right?

Let me know if you want to have a bike collected :okay:

Just down the road from daughters school

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
This is very frustrating when you’re in the market for a new bike with rim brakes (disc just look too ugly) - there is hardly any choice now!!

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe the trend towards lowered seat stays suits disc frames better than rim braked frames? And hidden cables is nice to me. But definitely personal preference. I’m not a fan of the way the wheels look at all. And I’ve ridden in the company of plenty of people with annoying squeaky discs they just can’t get right no matter how hard they try and how mechanically minded they are. But we are where we are I guess? I’m kind of resigned to the fact that my next bike will be disc. But fortunately I like quite a few of the newer frames. Hopefully I’ll always keep one of my current rim bikes as my go to climbing bike.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Maybe the trend towards lowered seat stays suits disc frames better than rim braked frames? And hidden cables is nice to me. But definitely personal preference. I’m not a fan of the way the wheels look at all. And I’ve ridden in the company of plenty of people with annoying squeaky discs they just can’t get right no matter how hard they try and how mechanically minded they are. But we are where we are I guess? I’m kind of resigned to the fact that my next bike will be disc. But fortunately I like quite a few of the newer frames. Hopefully I’ll always keep one of my current rim bikes as my go to climbing bike.
N+1 = Tarmac SL7? :hyper:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
A club mate has invited me to join his works WTRL TTT team for next Thursday....

Watopia Hilly x 3.... 😳

So for the meantime I've had to change my club on Zwiftpower for WTRL purposes, I will revert to CycleChat when racing the Team IRL Leagues etc.

I think the TTT team I've joined is in the Mocha league...

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Snip

And I’ve ridden in the company of plenty of people with annoying squeaky discs they just can’t get right no matter how hard they try and how mechanically minded they are.

Snip
I had a period of time when my Cube ebike Ultegra brakes squealed. I thought it could be glazed pads. The fix was to clear the pad face on a sheet of high grit sandpaper. 4 or 5 strokes and the problem was gone.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
I guess I'm lucky as I like the look of disc brake bikes, and from my ineptitude of descending discs has to be better for me :laugh:

I'm another convert to disc brakes, I like the clean lines around the forks of not having the calipers mounted there, also the stopping power is reassuring... 👍

bobinski

Legendary Member
I moved to discs after being caught in the rain on a descent down Col de Jou plan. Rain and descending with rim brakes on aluminium let alone carbon rims is just terrifying for this poor descender. Rim brakes and descending with clincher carbon rims can lead to heat punctures and worse. Tubulars or tubeless can sort that risk though.
So, if I can only have one decent bike it has to have discs. If I knew I would be riding mountains frequently and had dry weather I would build up a lightweight rim brake bike and consider some Hunt or similar aluminium wheels.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I like the stopping power of discs especially in the wet - the power however is quite capable of locking the wheel up if you aren't careful especially on fast descents

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
When I specc'd the new tandem, I went for the best of both worlds. I have Magura HS-33R hydraulic rim brakes front and rear, with a Hope Tech 3 V4 203mm ventilated floating rotor on the rear.

It's a bit of a handful having two levers on the LHS, but if I ever need that stopping power ...

If I could only find someone making hope tech 3 seals compatible with mineral oil, I'd swap the lever to the HT 3 Duo for a much neater solution.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I'm another convert to disc brakes, I like the clean lines around the forks of not having the calipers mounted there, also the stopping power is reassuring... 👍
When I returned to riding 5 or so years ago there was ample choice with regard to brake systems. I went with discs after recalling a scary moment near where I live in the rain on alu rims and on a fairly steep hill leading to a T junction.

I did not stop due to wet rims. Never had an issue in the dry, infact I'd nearly gone over the bars on several occasions due to grabbing too much brake. Not stopping put me between 2 cars travelling on opposite directions, luckily I was on the path the other side of the road by the time both stopped, past the line I had taken across the junction. Seconds from disaster, it made me hesitant to ride in the rain for quite a while.

That and the fact that I'd end up replacing the whole wheel due to wear on the brake track eventually knowing me. Now it's just the disc that needs replacing.

Also weight was, as many who have met me will know, not a major consideration to me :blush::laugh:

Top Bottom