Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I want to be Cat A racer but realistically in real life I’m not even sure I’d make Cat C judging by some of the guys I’ve ridden with who race in real life. So in that regard it sounds like the new system is closer to finding parity with real world racing.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I want to be Cat A racer but realistically in real life I’m not even sure I’d make Cat C judging by some of the guys I’ve ridden with who race in real life. So in that regard it sounds like the new system is closer to finding parity with real world racing.

You've got yoof on your side Tommy.:okay: You could if you really wanted it.

<Tommy>

You've got yoof on your side Tommy.:okay: You could if you really wanted it.

Well... maybe... age is one factor. But you guys shouldn’t use that as an excuse! Athletic ability is equally relevant if not more so, and age is only one factor in athletic ability. I’m faster than some who are younger, and slower then some that are older etc etc. It’ll be the same for you guys too. Of course AAAC is a good example amongst many. Could I make Cat A? Maybe. And you guys could too depending on your natural ability and motivation. Do I have the motivation? Nope! Not even close. I have a young family, and a busy social and work life. The payoff in sacrifice is no where near big enough for me for me to dedicate more time than I do already!

My target for this year is very simple. Put in a 6 minute lap of Regent’s Park = new bike day for Tommy!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I agree with your sentiments Tommy about age and determination. I don't know Dave R history(seasoned cyclist, sportsman), but I think he's in his mid 50s and is winning Cat A on Zwift. I've improved no end last year and particularly this winter, so there is always room for improvement. I dont know how far, maybe limited by not having any younger and middle age sporting inclination. It seems those who were quite serious about their sport whilst younger, especially endurance, build a huge heart lung capacity which you cant develop later in life(ignoring genetics) to the same extent. I'm quite interested how this winter translates into the spring and summer on the road.

How far are you from the 6 mins Tommy?

Maybe a few months of HIT training would do it for you.

<Tommy>

I agree with your sentiments Tommy about age and determination. I don't know Dave R history(seasoned cyclist, sportsman), but I think he's in his mid 50s and is winning Cat A on Zwift. I've improved no end last year and particularly this winter, so there is always room for improvement. I dont know how far, maybe limited by not having any younger and middle age sporting inclination. It seems those who were quite serious about their sport whilst younger, especially endurance, build a huge heart lung capacity which you cant develop later in life(ignoring genetics) to the same extent. I'm quite interested how this winter translates into the spring and summer on the road.

How far are you from the 6 mins Tommy?

Maybe a few months of HIT training would do it for you.

Yep exactly mate. I had so many bad habits in my teens and twenties that I don’t know my own maximum capacity now. So I just push myself hard in the time I have allotted for training and see where it takes me. Being competitive really helps push myself but I don’t have any expectations of where I should and shouldn’t be really. I just want to put out the maximum I can if that makes sense... I can see how that may be similar for you too, starting later in life and with some injury thrown in for good measure!
It’s also important to keep it fun! I love cycling just for the sake of getting out on my bike and I don’t want to spoil that by becoming over analytical.

My best RP time is 6:25 I think or there abouts. It’s disappointing really. Nailing a fast lap is tougher than it looks because you can get caught out by the lights a few times in a row and then you’re out of energy. But they’ve modified the early morning sequence of the lights to make them more cyclist friendly so hopefully this is my year.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Tommy, like you say just push yourself when the other more important things in life allow. You,ll find your limit along the way and probably surprise yourself.
RP seems a bit of a lottery given all the things that can affect a clean ride but we all need a marker. Perhaps a night time ride? It’s a lovely time to ride, empty roads, peaceful , senses heightened and sits nicely with the need to enjoy our cycling.

<Tommy>

Tommy, like you say just push yourself when the other more important things in life allow. You,ll find your limit along the way and probably surprise yourself.
RP seems a bit of a lottery given all the things that can affect a clean ride but we all need a marker. Perhaps a night time ride? It’s a lovely time to ride, empty roads, peaceful , senses heightened and sits nicely with the need to enjoy our cycling.

Unfortunately the opposite is true. Apart from the fact polllution is at its lowest in the morning, the park is closed to vehicles between 12pm and 7am so ideally you get out around 6am. This way you get no cars even parked around the park and also the traffic lights favour cyclists even after the park gates are open to traffic. In the evening the park is very poorly lit after dark and it’s used as a rat run by cars often ignoring the 30mph speed limit. You should definitely try and come up here one morning. It’s really quite a special place to cycle if you get there early.

Like you say it is a bit of a lottery mate. That’s why it’s deceptively tricky. But also saying that’s my only target is a little deceptive too I suppose. Because to get that 6 minute lap I’ll have to reach other fitness and power targets along the way. So it’s a tougher challenge than aiming for say just an improvement in my FTP.

Your own target for the summer has its own challenges too of course Bob so it’s a good one. Because losing wait and increasing your FTP at the same time isn’t easy.

uclown2002

Guru
I agree with your sentiments Tommy about age and determination. I don't know Dave R history(seasoned cyclist, sportsman), but I think he's in his mid 50s and is winning Cat A on Zwift. .

I'm 55 in a few months and only bought my first bike 6 or 7 years ago. I've always been very active and had good fitness my adult life but I think cycling just suits my strengths.

uclown2002

Guru
He's refreshed the zwiftpower rankings again to fix a few bugs. You need to enter a default Cat in your profile and your current ranking. This is so you can't be downgraded below default Cat I believe. Don't worry if your rating goes back to 1500 like mine; the races just get reprocessed. When you change Cats your rating starts at 1500 again.

<Tommy>

yeah, a morning ride sounds like a good opportunity to improve on my 18 min lap time:blush::laugh:

18 minutes eh? Must be thinking of a different Regent’s Park.

2D81625A-8B54-480D-BC20-E38DFE04E212.png

:laugh: :laugh:

Sorry... couldn’t resist....

Mate definitely come up one morning though. Good drafting practice for Cambridge apart from a bit of redemption for you! :smile:

Top Bottom