Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
Sounds like you're in Atlantic East as well then? I went with DIRT as they have both C and B teams in that region so I'm covered either way.
We're doing DRS as well. My Gold 1 team has a guy from Australia, a lightweight woman from Canada (she'll kill us all up the hills) and most of the rest are men from USA. They get up and race at 0430 before work. :eek: The Aussie does evening and I'm doing 1030am.

I'm gold 2. Don't think I'll sign up though as can't commit v much time at the minute at all.

Has anyone raced with PD4 pack dynamics? Just did a flat rgv race on it. Have to say I found it difficult but my power numbers are low. I've also heard the draft is worse at the back and that's were I stayed until dropped, before the mini climb! Had fun afterwards in a little grupetto.

That said - didn't hate it? Seemed like a more realistic stretching of the group when the front put down numbers and lone riders were bridging between small groups at the back. Would be interesting to see it from the front mind you. Was disappointed in power numbers as they were quite good on our TT but I have been riding once a week atm

alex_cycles

Veteran
I'm gold 2. Don't think I'll sign up though as can't commit v much time at the minute at all.

One other nice thing about DRS is that if you have a full squad of 8, all 8 can race but only the best 4 scores count. So if you can't race every week it's not a disaster.

Has anyone raced with PD4 pack dynamics? Just did a flat rgv race on it. Have to say I found it difficult but my power numbers are low. I've also heard the draft is worse at the back and that's were I stayed until dropped, before the mini climb! Had fun afterwards in a little grupetto.

That said - didn't hate it? Seemed like a more realistic stretching of the group when the front put down numbers and lone riders were bridging between small groups at the back. Would be interesting to see it from the front mind you. Was disappointed in power numbers as they were quite good on our TT but I have been riding once a week atm

I've done a few tinies with it on. No churn at the front. People say it's harder at the back but makes you more honest. Not tried it on a longer race, but it's just been announced that the Chasing Series are going to be using it AND ditching powerups. So it won't be long before I have tried it on a long race. Next one is due Sunday if I'm fit enough.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Harder at the back as in its harder than it used to be, or that the back is no longer the best position aerodynamically in a group??

It seems like there’s lots of changes on Zwift at the moment - I feel totally out of the loop!

mjd1988

Guru
One other nice thing about DRS is that if you have a full squad of 8, all 8 can race but only the best 4 scores count. So if you can't race every week it's not a disaster.

That is an excellent point

Harder at the back as in its harder than it used to be, or that the back is no longer the best position aerodynamically in a group??

It seems like there’s lots of changes on Zwift at the moment - I feel totally out of the loop!

It felt hard at the back but my best 5 min power was 3.3w/kg so I suspect that may have been more related to that in retrospect!

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Should be easier anywhere other than the front. It means they still haven't fully sorted drafting.

I cope well with current pack dynamics even if I'm a bit on off with my power

alex_cycles

Veteran
Should be easier anywhere other than the front. It means they still haven't fully sorted drafting.

It’s doubtful they ever will fully sort it, but it definitely reduces “free” pack speed from auto-churn.

I cope well with current pack dynamics even if I'm a bit on off with my power
I think a lot of people simply won’t even notice a difference.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Kew today - never been before

20230404_123816.jpg

Joffey

Big Dosser
What is PD4?

alex_cycles

Veteran
What is PD4?

Pack Dynamics 4 - latest incarnation.
If you're riding on your own it won/t make a blind bit of difference.
But if you're racing it will.

It's been tweaked in the attempt to reduce "free pack speed" and churn at the front. So essentially, if a few people are working hard together, breakaways should now have a better chance as the pack will also have to work to catch you instead of getting a free ride.

Another tweak is that "supertuck while drafting" will no longer be possible.

If you see your power numbers go red, it means you've been autobraked (which only happens in specific circumstances to limit churn)

Last edited:

Del C

Veteran
I‘ve ridden PD4 a couple of times this week, but only with the PacerBots.

I don’t think it’s possible to get PD absolutely right, but I think this is probably more realistic. There’s a few complaints, especially on the Zwift forum posts when it was being trialled, but I think these are coming either from people who’d learned to ride PD3 effectively, or just from guys who are going to moan whatever new solution is put in front of them.

I thought it was a bit tougher at the back. It definitely reduces churn in the pack, so you’re not continually flying off the front and then drifting to the back. I thought I had to apply power more consistently as a result and my pedalling felt smoother and more even through the ride.

If you drift off the back, you have to work a bit harder to get back on, but that’s what would happen out on the road. Also, the group doesn’t churn on the road and you’d be unlikely to try and supertuck in real life if you were surrounded by 50 other riders. Mind you, in real life you wouldn’t be trying to stay close to a translucent robot rider either!

It will change the way people ride and race, so I guess I’ll have a better view when I race next. I’m doing the TTT tomorrow so it’s going to be interesting to see how it affects that.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Hope you like PD4 guys because it's global everywhere on Zwift now.
Ah! My race yesterday did feel a bit different.

I found myself yoyoing from front to back at the start but than got the hang of it. It seemed easier for the front riders to put in some distance, when they put down the hammer with 2k to go. Overall, can't say there's anything to like or dislike - nothing that would fundamentally change the way I ride. Staying with the pack, despite low watts, was as easy as always.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Pack Dynamics 4 - latest incarnation.
If you're riding on your own it won/t make a blind bit of difference.
But if you're racing it will.

It's been tweaked in the attempt to reduce "free pack speed" and churn at the front. So essentially, if a few people are working hard together, breakaways should now have a better chance as the pack will also have to work to catch you instead of getting a free ride.

Another tweak is that "supertuck while drafting" will no longer be possible.

If you see your power numbers go red, it means you've been autobraked (which only happens in specific circumstances to limit churn)

Cheers Alex. Sounds like an improvement!

Top Bottom