Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex_cycles

Veteran
No worries @alex_cycles - and apologies from me in the wording of my post. I didn’t mean to open any wounds.
:okay:

I don’t know about the new cat system, except that it’s based on more than one metric. Does that mean there’s more than one category e.g for sprint vs climb vs TT events? Is it the best of all the metrics that determines cat? A weighting between them? A simple average? It could be ultimately flawed and there’s a particular metric that you need to be “wary” of because it skews the cat?

Ok so I'd much rather talk about something technical like this. So here goes...

They've based CE on two things. MAP and CP. But they've confused the issue horribly by calling them zMAP and zFTP.
The reasoning behind zFTP was that people are more familiar with the concept of FTP than CP.

MAP is your maximal aerobic power, which is estimated from a maximum effort somewhere between 5 and 8 minutes (I think). From my own experience they didn't use 5 minute data but 5.5 minute - but that doesn't mean it's always like that.

CP - critical power - is a more complex calculation and it isn't fully transparent exactly how they're calculating it. But it's usually calculated from ~3 data points, but I think Zwift is using ~5. There's a very good article explaining all about CP here but essentially it a 'best fit curve' and Zwift are using it to estimate how much you can output for a longer period of time - "about 40 minutes" they say. In my case. They estimate 216W, which is pretty fair. I think I did exactly that plus or minus 1 when I recently raced up the Alpe.

Each of these two has thresholds for A,B,C,D categories
Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 20.01.23.png

and they do not line up perfectly with the old ZP 20-minute w/kg - as evidenced by the fact that I was C in both in October, B in CE for Nov/Dec, C in both again from Jan-March and then became a ZP B in March. At no time have I been B in both at once :laugh:

The issue with the new CE is that - particularly now they've shown people their numbers - there are things you can do to manipulate it.
e.g. not doing a very hard 6 minute effort if your MAP score is higher than the category you want to be in
Conversely, I have heard some people say that if your zFTP (CP) is too high, sometimes doing a really hard 3 minute effort can bring the other end of the curve down a bit. So it is open to manipulation to a certain extent, but probably not as much as ZP was.

It was as confusing as hell having both though - particularly if you have a foot in each camp. Recently I've been able to do Tiny Races in C or Race London series in C but not any races which use ZP cats in C. But to complicate matters further, there were some races that were set up to use CE AND ZP. So you could do a race that CE let you into but STILL get a DQ. (I managed to avoid those).

Better than both of those is zwiftracing.app which is getting a reasonable amount of traction now. It uses a different power metric for initial 'seeding' - which is a pretty good estimate - based on modified CS (combined score) but also an ELO-based algorithm to adjust people's ranking based on their race performance. Currently, the Chasing series and upcoming DRS will be using this. Essentially it splits the categories, so B is more or less Gold 1, Gold 2 and Gold 3 (over-simplification) so DRS in Gold 1 should be a lot of fun as it'll be like low B/high C. But all the more powerful Bs will be Gold 2 or 3.

Zwift is working towards a results-based system but they're still at really early stages with it.

I generally found the old system to be flawed but just riding every event at 100% did get you into the right pen generally (unless it was actively avoided, but I’m not going to use the S word!)

Any system used by humans will be manipulated. I totally hated ZP cats because they were so heavily biased towards >85kg sprinters and <50kg climbers. People in the middle gets called names or kicked out of category for going over cat limits while still not being in the top 10 finishers.
In my opinion a results-based system should reduce this. It simply makes sense to me that if you regularly win races, you should be racing against better opponents. But not so much better that it isn't fun any more - this is key. So smaller groupings are needed.

It makes no sense to me that anyone should be forced to race better opponents if they've never even got on a podium (and it did happen with those middle weights).

I’ve always enjoyed racing with, and occasionally against you Alex and long may that continue 🙂

Same. I'm sure it will, but I'm definitely not doing lots of evening races. :laugh:

Last edited:

BurningLegs

Veteran
Thanks for the explanation, @alex_cycles - I suppose time will tell whether this is more or less successful than the old system, won't it.

I agree on the results based system being the sweet spot here. It's simple and intuitive, mirrors the system used in real life, and there is no motivation to manipulate it. Until then, hopefully this new system does the trick. I'm, surprised though - this new system is complex, requires more involved calculations and has probably been agonised over internally at Zwift for a long time. It feels like the effort would have been better spent implementing result based categories?

What is happening to ZwiftPower - is that going to the wall and being replaced with zwiftracing.app or with ZP adopt the new category system? Surely there can't be two category systems on the platform in the long term?!

alex_cycles

Veteran
Thanks for the explanation, @alex_cycles - I suppose time will tell whether this is more or less successful than the old system, won't it.

I agree on the results based system being the sweet spot here. It's simple and intuitive, mirrors the system used in real life, and there is no motivation to manipulate it. Until then, hopefully this new system does the trick. I'm, surprised though - this new system is complex, requires more involved calculations and has probably been agonised over internally at Zwift for a long time. It feels like the effort would have been better spent implementing result based categories?

I think they were hoping it would be a quick fix and it has at least solved SOME of the issues of people racing down.

What is happening to ZwiftPower - is that going to the wall and being replaced with zwiftracing.app or with ZP adopt the new category system? Surely there can't be two category systems on the platform in the long term?!
Zwift intends to abolish ZP when they've built everything into Zwift itself, but that's likely years away or months at least.

Zwiftracing.app is an independent system built by a software dev in the US. The idea was to show Zwift what it could be like with the expectation that they might one day make Zwift racing better by copying it. That does appear to be rubbing off on Zwift with the noises they're making on the forums. The slight irony here is that zwiftracing.app gets its race data from ZwiftPower, so when ZP eventually gets killed, Zwiftracing.app will die as well. BUT - the hope is that won't happen until Zwift have implemented something decent.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
When you're right on the threshold of categories and you want to serve out the season on your team without getting booted it can be quite useful. I missed it by 1 race, getting booted (but not DQed) after semi-final 1. But for your information the whole "you're a sandbagger if you don't do things my way" culture in Cyclechat is a big part of why I've chosen to ride in another team for my B career. (Also not having to ride evenings is about 50% of it though).

(Edit to add clarity: This 'cultural issue' is not an issue in CCC at all.)

Completely with you Alex ... it's why I won't be riding in B for CC Splitters if I'm still B come the new season ... I love riding for CCC, great team spirit, very supportive, guys have kept me going through some hard times, but some B riders seem to think it's their way or you're wrong. Not a great team spirit ... also why I've set a few posters to ignore. Shame, but hey ... I ride for fun :smile:

Whorty

The new system seems to be wider (not just 20 minute w/kg) and seems to include all rides and not just races. This will certainly stop those riders that say train at a higher cat, then because their 20 minute power was a lower cat they can still enter those races.

Using other time metrics, like the 1-5 minute (maybe up to 8 minutes). will bring riders like me into a higher cat as my 20 minute power was never in B (but I had that 5 minute power meaning I could surge and recover).

I'll always put in 100% for the race I'm in, and I'll race in the cat that Zwift says I'm in ... never hold back, always push hard. Just need the bike serviced/fixed now and hope that it hasn't been over generous to me because the chain and/or sensor is playing up haha ... that would be ironic lol

alex_cycles

Veteran
The new system seems to be wider (not just 20 minute w/kg) and seems to include all rides and not just races. This will certainly stop those riders that say train at a higher cat, then because their 20 minute power was a lower cat they can still enter those races.

Using other time metrics, like the 1-5 minute (maybe up to 8 minutes). will bring riders like me into a higher cat as my 20 minute power was never in B (but I had that 5 minute power meaning I could surge and recover).

I'll always put in 100% for the race I'm in, and I'll race in the cat that Zwift says I'm in ... never hold back, always push hard. Just need the bike serviced/fixed now and hope that it hasn't been over generous to me because the chain and/or sensor is playing up haha ... that would be ironic lol

If it gives you more free watts we’re all doomed 😂

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I thought my set up was pretty decent but that is nice.

View attachment 684076

First real test of the heating/cooling of the gym. Frosty this morning with whiting across the lawns, inside the gym, temp 15C.
Ive set it to auto mode with low power settings to flip from heating to cooling when outside temp changes.

Ive got to get a stand, been using boxes for years so will invest in a proper high stand.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Just need the bike serviced/fixed now and hope that it hasn't been over generous to me because the chain and/or sensor is playing up haha ... that would be ironic lol

Reminds me Carl of the Bkool trainer, where its resistance would go low but output high power :biggrin:

Wasn't it Lars who once did a velodrome ride with several thousand Watts and like 100mph :laugh:

Whorty

Reminds me Carl of the Bkool trainer, where its resistance would go low but output high power :biggrin:

Wasn't it Lars who once did a velodrome ride with several thousand Watts and like 100mph :laugh:

My kickr used to do that too ... on long climbs like the alpe, the constant resistance would overheat it and suddenly resistance would drop and ever touching the pedals I'd be hitting 1000 watts.

The Atom is different.... as a put down power, there is a slip in the drive chain somewhere, so I'm losing traction. A bit like a gravel climb outside, when you put down power and the wheel slips.

Obviously this needs fixing. But I'm a little concerned that if the chain is stretched, or resistance magnets out, that it hasn't been true re watts. Although the slipping is very recent and my watts have been pretty consistent for a couple of years (even against my Neo)

We'll see what the chap says on the 19th, but until then it's pootles only as I don't want to cause damage

mjd1988

Guru
My kickr used to do that too ... on long climbs like the alpe, the constant resistance would overheat it and suddenly resistance would drop and ever touching the pedals I'd be hitting 1000 watts.

The Atom is different.... as a put down power, there is a slip in the drive chain somewhere, so I'm losing traction. A bit like a gravel climb outside, when you put down power and the wheel slips.

Obviously this needs fixing. But I'm a little concerned that if the chain is stretched, or resistance magnets out, that it hasn't been true re watts. Although the slipping is very recent and my watts have been pretty consistent for a couple of years (even against my Neo)

We'll see what the chap says on the 19th, but until then it's pootles only as I don't want to cause damage

I remember when I moved my kickr snap into the conservatory during some building work. Was fine until the 2 days of summer we get when it confuses the optical sensor and I would suddenly be doing either 1000 watts or 0 watts with nothing in between. Definitely animated a few races anyway

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Hit 'buy' on a new wheelset today. Surprised myself by eventually going with Winspace Hypers. Wherever I looked and whoever I asked, they were always mentioned as one of the best (the best?) value for money and actually really good quality. Hard to argue when a pair of equivalently-performing and similar-quality (on paper) ZIPPs is 2.5x the price.

Anyone else into 'officially Chinese' stuff? Frames, groupsets, componentry?

mjd1988

Guru
Hit 'buy' on a new wheelset today. Surprised myself by eventually going with Winspace Hypers. Wherever I looked and whoever I asked, they were always mentioned as one of the best (the best?) value for money and actually really good quality. Hard to argue when a pair of equivalently-performing and similar-quality (on paper) ZIPPs is 2.5x the price.

Exciting. Don't know much about it to be honest, but looks nice! What depth did you go?

BurningLegs

Veteran

I came across them and Lightbicycle a fair bit when looking at mid-market wheels last year. In the end I went with Prime through CRC/Wiggle for the warranty, and I'm glad I did because I used it. They replaced a hub within a couple of weeks and it was simple and painless, they even refunded the fee from my LBS to fit the replacement.

Top Bottom