Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjd1988

Guru
It'll likely be a bit too long for me next week I'm afraid. Much as I love a prolonged climb 👀

steverob

Guru
Well I tried to keep the stages so that they were going to be about the same length (time-wise) for me for each of them. On my best attempt at the La Reine course, I was at about 34-35 minutes in when I passed the point I have set the finish line to.

As far as I can see, the only others on here to have done this course according to Strava are @Peter Salt (24 mins to this spot), @alex_cycles (28 mins) @13 rider and @Ketty (both 29 mins) and @Johnsop99 (33 mins). So I'd be surprised if it took you much more than 25 mins @mjd1988.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Well I tried to keep the stages so that they were going to be about the same length (time-wise) for me for each of them. On my best attempt at the La Reine course, I was at about 34-35 minutes in when I passed the point I have set the finish line to.

As far as I can see, the only others on here to have done this course according to Strava are @Peter Salt (24 mins to this spot), @alex_cycles (28 mins) @13 rider and @Ketty (both 29 mins) and @Johnsop99 (33 mins). So I'd be surprised if it took you much more than 25 mins @mjd1988.

Ah, I was looking at the ZwiftInsider write up ... 30 odd minutes is ok, same as normal. I'm a plodder climber so don't expect fireworks, but baring something cropping up, I'll give it a pop. If only to make sure those :laugh: who don't do the stage gets my time plus 10%

steverob

Guru
Remember also that this is not the course that goes straight up Ventoux. You go through the middle undulating section of the France course first, through the Ballon sprint arch, then up the Petit KOM, before joining Ventoux at the junction there. You're actually only on Ventoux itself for just over 2km.

If anyone wants video footage of the exact route and where the finish is, here's a stream of someone doing the full La Reine course - our finish line is going to be roughly where her in-game clock hits about 28½ minutes (maybe a few seconds before that).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8PsyfLR_o

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Now I realise why I seem to have avoided races with 20 minute climbs for so long 🥴.

I couldn't stay with the front 10 on the KOM so no segment points but quite happy with my climb - 19:45, 320w, 4.05w/kg.

Finished 14th - I did have a bit of a go at the sprint inspired by your efforts @alex_cycles and I was 5th for a bit - but I guess there were lots of good sprinters behind me so that didn't last!

View: https://youtu.be/necmiwf5ok8?si=BgCFMdiw_C_B5xus

Just looked at the end of my race on the video and it seems that the two WattFabrik riders in red who were ahead of me eased off at the Legsnapper KOM banner thinking that was the finish line when in fact it was a few metres further on. Which allowed me to overtake them both and gain 2 places - what a shame for them....:cuppa:

Didn't really take that in at the time!

steverob

Guru
Very late to the party here (I should check this more often!) what night is this, sounds fun!
We've been running another Tour de Splitters - next Tuesday is the final round and the course that's been picked is the first 8 miles of La Reine, which involves the early sections of Ventoux (don't blame me - someone else picked it via a random number!)

Everyone is very welcome to join in regardless of how many previous stages they have or haven't done.

From the original thread:
Race 4 - 18:00 23rd April: https://www.zwift.com/uk/events/view/4311885
(custom race length of 8.3 miles / 13.5km, finish line should be just before the tight hairpin on the early slopes of Ventoux)

1711547586253.png

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
Just looked at the end of my race on the video and it seems that the two WattFabrik riders in red who were ahead of me eased off at the Legsnapper KOM banner thinking that was the finish line when in fact it was a few metres further on. Which allowed me to overtake them both and gain 2 places - what a shame for them....:cuppa:

Didn't really take that in at the time!

I had that on Stage 1 with Petit KoM. I nicked a place off another rider who eased off. On the custom finishes it's almost impossible to get the distance exactly on a banner so they usually overshoot slightly to avoid cutting off the segment by mistake. Always go to the blue barrier if it isn't a whole number of laps.

mjd1988

Guru

Oh fair enough not sure what I was expecting. Sign me up for pain

bridgy

Legendary Member
I had that on Stage 1 with Petit KoM. I nicked a place off another rider who eased off. On the custom finishes it's almost impossible to get the distance exactly on a banner so they usually overshoot slightly to avoid cutting off the segment by mistake. Always go to the blue barrier if it isn't a whole number of laps.

Was just looking at next week's race - bit of a shame they're only doing FAL points on the crazy long 7km Fuego Flats sprint segment. Would have mixed things up a bit if people had to potentially do a 7km TT effort mid race!

alex_cycles

Veteran
Was just looking at next week's race - bit of a shame they're only doing FAL points on the crazy long 7km Fuego Flats sprint segment. Would have mixed things up a bit if people had to potentially do a 7km TT effort mid race!

Looking at my sprint points position it looks likely it's not worth my while killing myself to get to points there, as even with 10 points 1st FAL it won't end up being one of my top 4 sprint points races (unless I have a disaster in the last two). Obvs it contributes to the points score for the race, but I think my weebles are better spent on Titans Reverse :laugh:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Remember also that this is not the course that goes straight up Ventoux. You go through the middle undulating section of the France course first, through the Ballon sprint arch, then up the Petit KOM, before joining Ventoux at the junction there. You're actually only on Ventoux itself for just over 2km.

If anyone wants video footage of the exact route and where the finish is, here's a stream of someone doing the full La Reine course - our finish line is going to be roughly where her in-game clock hits about 28½ minutes (maybe a few seconds before that).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8PsyfLR_o

That looks pretty brutal. The rolling is bad enough, but the little KoM into the MV climb looks very painful for us Cs. We'll be saying bye-bye to Pete et al after about 2km as the road goes up on the zig-zag section. From then on, I think it's going to be a case of every man for himself :surrender: Could be some big time gaps that will determine the league placings.

mjd1988

Guru
I wanted the pace to be strong before the the first climb, trusting it would put Carl/Steve in the red zone. I was gob smacked how fast Pete/Michael disappeared up the climb. Then Carl caught me two thirds the way up. It was then I closed my eyes and just powered for as long as possible. The elastic had snapped

I thought you were waiting up for me Michael. I knew you would drop me once we got to the leg snapper.

The little extra speed was welcome to extend the gap to Carl/Steve .

I'm hoping my new freeware screen recorder has done a decent job it's rendering at the moment

Thanks everyone for taking part 👍

How'd the screen recorder work? Wish it could be done on apple tv

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
How'd the screen recorder work? Wish it could be done on apple tv

Well it recorded both my Zwift and Sauce overlay.

Unfortunately it was super glitchy. Im going through settings for data rates and quality. If this doesn't solve the stuttering video, it may be my PC graphics which are onboard type from 5years ago are too old to cope with the processing required

This is the stuttering recording

View: https://youtu.be/EuCqZhObYTI

Top Bottom