Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member

bobinski

Legendary Member
Whilst in the mountains:
http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/4778/...letter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Froome was absent from this chase and it's probably because of the efforts he produced the day before on Zoncolan.

Attacking on a 14.3% gradient, it was reported that Froome sustained 465W for 1.3km at the 4.3km to go marker to distance Yates and ride to stage victory. Assuming Froome is weighing 69kg, that means the attack would have been 6.7W/kg, a pretty formidable effort.

Froome scaled the Zoncolan in 39 minutes and 58 seconds, the sixth fastest time in history only 55 seconds down on record holder Gilberto Simoni, who set his time in 2007. This time was also the fastest ascent of Zoncolan since that Giro 11 years previous.

In reaction to Froome's attack, Dumoulin did not panic instead sticking to his numbers. For 6 minutes 41 seconds, he held 6W/kg on the 14.8% gradient dragging him along at 11.6kmh. This measured approach to the climb allowed him to only ship 37 seconds.
While the efforts of Froome on Monte Zoncolan were spectacular the weekend's show was certainly stolen by maglia rosa Yates.

On a spiky finish to Sappada on Stage 15, Yates attacked on the penultimate climb of Costalissoio before extending his lead on the descent and then holding the gap on the final rise to Sappada.

In the final 3.5km of the climb, which had shallowed to 2.1% gradient, Yates had to produce an average of 330W to maintain his gap over the chasing group and finish with his 41 second lead.

With this easing of the climb, a dropped Dumoulin managed to muster the strength to bridge to the chasing group and even sprint to third on the stage. The Dutchman managed to recoup 13 seconds on Yates in the closing 3.5km by averaging 395W.

In the final kilometre, Dumoulin caught back up to the chasing group of four. In doing so he pushed out 430W across 2 minutes 13 seconds as he entered time trial mode to limit his loses.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
My old dear has got some new nipples :ohmy:

20180522_112724.jpg
20180522_141946.jpg

I can do it one handed now:smooch:
:tongue:

LBHIFI

Veteran
View attachment 410493

Ok ok I’ll admit I don’t need much of an excuse to put up a bike picture ^_^

Saddle to top of bars is 12cm. And I spend quite a lot of time in the drops. I’m nearly 6’4 but I’m pretty low on the bike as you can imagine from the picture.

I think it’s more to do with the stopping and starting Lars to be honest. Both in terms of the high watts and low speed. If you look at the strava segments you can tell straight away the ones where I was getting stopped at lights.
The 300 watts was including stops ? :eek:.

LBHIFI

Veteran
View attachment 410493

Ok ok I’ll admit I don’t need much of an excuse to put up a bike picture ^_^

Saddle to top of bars is 12cm. And I spend quite a lot of time in the drops. I’m nearly 6’4 but I’m pretty low on the bike as you can imagine from the picture.

I think it’s more to do with the stopping and starting Lars to be honest. Both in terms of the high watts and low speed. If you look at the strava segments you can tell straight away the ones where I was getting stopped at lights.
Nice bike :okay:

I actually think the drop is less on my bike, but notice the aero handlebars. Extreme reach - only for long limbed freaks like me ^_^.

thumbnail

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
The 300 watts was including stops ? :eek:.

Technically no. Because the computer is set to not record zero numbers, I.e 0 watts, when I am at a standstill it pauses. The speed however will of course decrease more slowly as I pull up to the lights. So it has a negative effect on mph but a less negative effect on watts. You can see on the strava segments it does have an negative effect on watts, as I slow I ‘soft peddle’ to change gears and keep the legs loose. Also normally I brake sharp and late. But speed is effected more. On top of that the rest I get at the lights also flatter my watts. My legs get a chance to recharge, and accelerating away from the lights I can increase watts instantly, but it will take a few seconds to reach above 20mph.

There’s no way I can sustain 300w for 90 minutes continuously. But given the right cnditions I can sustain well over 20mph.

Nice bike :okay:

I actually think the drop is less on my bike, but notice the aero handlebars. Extreme reach - only for long limbed freaks like me ^_^.

thumbnail

I can’t see the image Lars. But I have a feeling we both have monkey arms! ^_^

LBHIFI

Veteran
Technically no. Because the computer is set to not record zero numbers, I.e 0 watts, when I am at a standstill it pauses. The speed however will of course decrease more slowly as I pull up to the lights. So it has a negative effect on mph but a less negative effect on watts. You can see on the strava segments it does have an negative effect on watts, as I slow I ‘soft peddle’ to change gears and keep the legs loose. Also normally I brake sharp and late. But speed is effected more. On top of that the rest I get at the lights also flatter my watts. My legs get a chance to recharge, and accelerating away from the lights I can increase watts instantly, but it will take a few seconds to reach above 20mph.

There’s no way I can sustain 300w for 90 minutes continuously. But given the right cnditions I can sustain well over 20mph.

I can’t see the image Lars. But I have a feeling we both have monkey arms! ^_^
Strange, shows up on my mediacenter but not my phone. I'll try it once more:

LBHIFI

Veteran
upload_2018-5-22_19-44-27.png

bobinski

Legendary Member
Tour of Belgium stage 1 done. Be aware there is a lead out lap of sorts, about 7km.
Missed the first group and so fell back with 2nd. We caught stragglers. 3-4 Koreans - I think - in group who seemed to work together well and kept trying to drag us along but no real appetite. That said we dropped a few I have raced against and so my game plan was to make sure I stayed ahead of them and so I stuck in group barely allowing my nose in front until the sprint. 2nd out of 7 but I cannot compete with 10w/k at moment. 32nd out of 160 ish.

Top Bottom