Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I've fasted since 12:30 (if you ignore the Magnum I had at 4 o'clock :mrpig: )

1/2 an avocado and Rose Marie prawns at 4pm followed by an Espresso - oh and 2 biscuits.
Ride, then curry then Ice cream:okay:

bobinski

Legendary Member
That was strangely enjoyable.
Sandbagged a bit until last 5km when after nearly getting dropped due to lack of attention:rolleyes: I moved to front and tried to help drive the pace. Turned off the square and someone went long with an Aero. I had noething so waited to follow someone else and they went en masse! Chased and ended up in the middle. Not sure where. About 26/7th and 2 min faster than earlier but bar the least 5k that’s largely sandbagging :laugh:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
That was strangely enjoyable.
Sandbagged a bit until last 5km when after nearly getting dropped due to lack of attention:rolleyes: I moved to front and tried to help drive the pace. Turned off the square and someone went long with an Aero. I had noething so waited to follow someone else and they went en masse! Chased and ended up in the middle. Not sure where. About 26/7th and 2 min faster than earlier but bar the least 5k that’s largely sandbagging :laugh:
Ride not on Ziftpower which is annoying. On the road I was about 61st, which is not bad considering I was 98th out the pen (very hard to spin up power with only one gear!). Worked with various groups then for the last 7 km or so was in a group of 4. We wheeled in a few stragglers then the lump out of the Piccadilly tunnel I dropped all but one rider. We then worked together to the finish. He was a gent and let me cross first, given that I'd done a lot of pulling I think that was fair, but still, very gentlemanly of him.

Spinning with one gear is actually really good fun - my max cadence was 131 and I average 101 for the duration. A different kind of riding, with less grinding :laugh:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Ride not on Ziftpower which is annoying. On the road I was about 61st, which is not bad considering I was 98th out the pen (very hard to spin up power with only one gear!). Worked with various groups then for the last 7 km or so was in a group of 4. We wheeled in a few stragglers then the lump out of the Piccadilly tunnel I dropped all but one rider. We then worked together to the finish. He was a gent and let me cross first, given that I'd done a lot of pulling I think that was fair, but still, very gentlemanly of him.

Spinning with one gear is actually really good fun - my max cadence was 131 and I average 101 for the duration. A different kind of riding, with less grinding :laugh:

That’s frustrating.
Well done. Hamster worty! I saw you , and was it george?, working together.

2s separate me in 24th and guy in 12th. A close one!

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
That’s frustrating.
Well done. Hamster worty! I saw you , and was it george?, working together.

2s separate me in 24th and guy in 12th. A close one!
Yes, South African flag rider called George. My little fat legs were going like the clappers :heat:

Very close at the top for you guys. The flat courses are much better for group riding and tactics compared to hills where us heavier riders just get dropped from the first real incline.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Spinning far less fatigue inducing than grinding slow cadence . just takes practice . Good for long rides, then you can let cadence drop later when tiredness comes along

I tend to agree Andy but... I am finding it easier , on the NEO sat least, to ride at 70-80 rpm at 3.4-3.8w rather than spinning at 90-95. I bailed on a workout last week where had to run high watts at 75rpm and yet it seems to have stuck! I have a few long rides planned at the weekend and start with a high Cadence and see where I settle.

JLaw

Veteran
I think Bob asked (via Strava) how recovery was going for me. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I've been a bit slammed with various things.

Recovery is going well -- I don't feel any ill effects on the trainer, though I've only done 3 rides post embolism. I've ramped up the intensity each ride, but definitely conscious of trying to keep the efforts at consistent levels and avoid efforts anywhere near FTP intensity. My ride up Alpe du Zwift today I kept the power in a fairly narrow band (200W-240W on each segment) as well as my HR (160-165). The net result was a PB by about a minute. I knew I was close to a PB time, but didn't know exactly what by PB was and didn't want to spike the effort in an attempt to get one. My HR was a bit high for the effort, but I attribute that to de-training over the last 3 weeks.

I'm getting a blood draw Friday and doc visit Wed. Hoping for a d-dimer back in the normal range which should in turn result in an OK to race indoors from my doc. I'll also be discussing going off the thinners for 24hrs with him. It's standard practice for the stuff I'm on -- in fact it's one of the major advantages. It's totally out of your system in ~24hrs, so you can go off the thinners the day before, do the event, then back on them immediately afterwards.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I think Bob asked (via Strava) how recovery was going for me. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I've been a bit slammed with various things.

Recovery is going well -- I don't feel any ill effects on the trainer, though I've only done 3 rides post embolism. I've ramped up the intensity each ride, but definitely conscious of trying to keep the efforts at consistent levels and avoid efforts anywhere near FTP intensity. My ride up Alpe du Zwift today I kept the power in a fairly narrow band (200W-240W on each segment) as well as my HR (160-165). The net result was a PB by about a minute. I knew I was close to a PB time, but didn't know exactly what by PB was and didn't want to spike the effort in an attempt to get one. My HR was a bit high for the effort, but I attribute that to de-training over the last 3 weeks.

I'm getting a blood draw Friday and doc visit Wed. Hoping for a d-dimer back in the normal range which should in turn result in an OK to race indoors from my doc. I'll also be discussing going off the thinners for 24hrs with him. It's standard practice for the stuff I'm on -- in fact it's one of the major advantages. It's totally out of your system in ~24hrs, so you can go off the thinners the day before, do the event, then back on them immediately afterwards.

Jeff, that all sounds really positive. Well done on the PB:thumbsup:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Neighbouring club TT last night. Longer course 15 miles and described as hilly, its certainly rolling. We started at a different point than usual. The regular start has a 0.7 mile climb at the very start, but we started at the top of the climb and had to ride up it to finish. It was a windy NE so the outward section was hard going on the bumps. The return leg was fast for me, Strava placing me in the top 20 out of 460 riders. A long flattish section with a slight headwind to the final climb.
Has I was approaching the turn to this climb I checked my distance and it nearly had 15 miles, so I got a little befuddled as to where the finish was. So I didnt really slow down for the corner and with the marshall not indicating where I should go, I shouted for directions. He pointed up the up the hill, by this point I was literally ontop of the junction doing 24mph. I braked hard began to slide at 45 degress:eek: and just missed the hedge row on the other side of the road. :dance:
I then had to try and re compose myself for this long drag. I was blowing in top gear spinning away. trying to get under 40 mins for the finish. I think Ive done it by a few seconds, I await official results next week.

I've come to the conclusion I'm built like a barn door and not very aero!. Despite pushing 56*11 on the downhill stretch I was much slower than some of the smaller riders:cry:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Neighbouring club TT last night. Longer course 15 miles and described as hilly, its certainly rolling. We started at a different point than usual. The regular start has a 0.7 mile climb at the very start, but we started at the top of the climb and had to ride up it to finish. It was a windy NE so the outward section was hard going on the bumps. The return leg was fast for me, Strava placing me in the top 20 out of 460 riders. A long flattish section with a slight headwind to the final climb.
Has I was approaching the turn to this climb I checked my distance and it nearly had 15 miles, so I got a little befuddled as to where the finish was. So I didnt really slow down for the corner and with the marshall not indicating where I should go, I shouted for directions. He pointed up the up the hill, by this point I was literally ontop of the junction doing 24mph. I braked hard began to slide at 45 degress:eek: and just missed the hedge row on the other side of the road. :dance:
I then had to try and re compose myself for this long drag. I was blowing in top gear spinning away. trying to get under 40 mins for the finish. I think Ive done it by a few seconds, I await official results next week.

I've come to the conclusion I'm built like a barn door and not very aero!. Despite pushing 56*11 on the downhill stretch I was much slower than some of the smaller riders:cry:
do you jetison all extra weight before you start like toolkit ,bottles etc ?
just looked at the course - if the wind was same direction up your way as down here , you had a lovely long stretch with it behind you - o - unless you were going clockwise !
just looked again - very close to where i nearly got squashed ! you be careful out there - the drivers have guidedogs

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
do you jetison all extra weight before you start like toolkit ,bottles etc ?
just looked at the course - if the wind was same direction up your way as down here , you had a lovely long stretch with it behind you - o - unless you were going clockwise !
just looked again - very close to where i nearly got squashed ! you be careful out there - the drivers have guidedogs

Anti clockwise route, headwind till turn then nice tailwind and slight head cross before headwind up the drag to finish. I dont carry anything other than me and bike.

Strava has cheered me up a little, Im no.1 in my age group out of 2 for the whole TT :laugh:

Top Bottom