Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
It seems so strange saying this given I do so few IRL rides now but...
Anything over 2 hours I will have 2 x 750ml bottles, one with water and 2 electrolyte tabs the other with high5 4/1 mix. Less than 2 hours water and tab and a banana.
In the mountains always 2 bottles as above regardless of distance with a banana and an emergency gel- just in case.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
It seems so strange saying this given I do so few IRL rides now but...
Anything over 2 hours I will have 2 x 750ml bottles, one with water and 2 electrolyte tabs the other with high5 4/1 mix. Less than 2 hours water and tab and a banana.
In the mountains always 2 bottles as above regardless of distance with a banana and an emergency gel- just in case.
Do something very similar. I've had issues of not sweating on the longer climbs due to lack of drinking this is also when I've had the calves issues. So I sometimes have upto 4 bottles sat beside me when doing some of the longer climbs for me. 'Croix de Fer' for example was a 3 hour ride and I went through 4 full 750 ml bottles, 2 with tabs, 2 without. :unsure::sweat::surrender:

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Did wonder if he was going to do a Yates and loose a shedload of time after his efforts yesterday ... Guess not ... Now will Dumoulin break with tradition and attack the leader on the last day? ... Remember when Greg Lemond did it ... Lost a shedload of time and the yellow jersey on the last real stage due to a mechanical ... Came out and demolished all the competition on the ITT but was still 9 seconds down on the leader, so against all tradition attacked on the run in to Paris and took Yellow.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Did wonder if he was going to do a Yates and loose a shedload of time after his efforts yesterday ... Guess not ... Now will Dumoulin break with tradition and attack the leader on the last day? ... Remember when Greg Lemond did it ... Lost a shedload of time and the yellow jersey on the last real stage due to a mechanical ... Came out and demolished all the competition on the ITT but was still 9 seconds down on the leader, so against all tradition attacked on the run in to Paris and took Yellow.

Can't see it myself. It will be a procession ride.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Can't see it myself. It will be a procession ride.

I wonder. Dimoulin might just share some of the skepticism about Froome's yo-yoing performances and think "sod it" and just go for it. To be honest i hope he does not least because i have always found the procession aspect of the last stage of a grand tour strangely odd.

That aside, 2018 has been a great year so far racing wise.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I wonder. Dimoulin might just share some of the skepticism about Froome's yo-yoing performances and think "sod it" and just go for it. To be honest i hope he does not least because i have always found the procession aspect of the last stage of a grand tour strangely odd.

That aside, 2018 has been a great year so far racing wise.
I do find it odd that Froome's two good stages are questioned, but Yates and Chavez good stages are not, when their superior riding suddenly crumbled. I just think with Froome his crash hampered the first week or so, and Sky had always planned to gain time and fitness as the tour went on.

What Froome's detractors forget when they accuse him of being on drugs is that what he is on is totally legal and allowed by the UCI. It's just a question of why there was so much in his pee.

The UCI need to sort this mess out. They should have decided Froome's fate prior to the Giro and not leave him, and his competitors, in such a mess.

Personally I'm a believer of innocent until proven guilty rather than what we have these days which is trial by twitter.

Can only hope all this is sorted by the Tour.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I think it has been the most exhausting Grand tour in living memory. I agree Froome was probably hindered in the first week and didn't get a chance to demonstrate his real form till later. His good days which have only been 2 followed by bad days, but not as bad as what happened to Yates, Pinot et al. Domulin has taken each stage in a more measured approach so hasn't over extended himself and was able to keep in touch and claw back lost time in the TT. Yates went for big wins and time gains but ultimately paid in fatigue later. Froome in meantime just did enough to keep in touch for a podium. Sky then decided to go full bore on one stage. His performance looked superhuman, partly because domulin waited a for another rider on the descent and thinking Froome would fatigue later. Froome did slow down but at the same rate as the chasing domulin, where the other riders let him do most of the chasing. Today all GC riders were tired, Pinot the most but Froome could match domulin and then mentally broke him just before the finish.

bobinski

Legendary Member
FWIW I think Froome will be exonerated. It’s is beyond ridiculous that it has not been resolved yet.
That said scepticism amongst the competitors is obvious and that’s why I say Dumoulin may just cast aside tradition and fancy a crack at Froome tomorrow.

Whorty

I think it has been the most exhausting Grand tour in living memory. I agree Froome was probably hindered in the first week and didn't get a chance to demonstrate his real form till later. His good days which have only been 2 followed by bad days, but not as bad as what happened to Yates, Pinot et al. Domulin has taken each stage in a more measured approach so hasn't over extended himself and was able to keep in touch and claw back lost time in the TT. Yates went for big wins and time gains but ultimately paid in fatigue later. Froome in meantime just did enough to keep in touch for a podium. Sky then decided to go full bore on one stage. His performance looked superhuman, partly because domulin waited a for another rider on the descent and thinking Froome would fatigue later. Froome did slow down but at the same rate as the chasing domulin, where the other riders let him do most of the chasing. Today all GC riders were tired, Pinot the most but Froome could match domulin and then mentally broke him just before the finish.
I felt so bad for Pinot today. He looked really ill. I hope he made it to the finish but I was concerned he may actually need medical help. He was weaving all over the shop, and you could see the concern his team mates had for him. Heartbreaking.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
What Froome did to Domulin today was break his spirit. The three attempts to get ahead of Froome were countered, then Froome sprinted away only to slow and watch his rival crawl back. Then with a hundred yards to go Froome and his sky team mate sprinted and took 6 more seconds from Domulin . I believe Domulin has already capitulated mentally listening to his post race interview

bobinski

Legendary Member
A little pootle IRW this morning followed by stage 5 just now on possibly my favourite course. Loft ridiculously hot. 2 fans and 950ml of water/tab and fuelled by a pre ride apple turnover ^_^
Dropped by lead group sharpish then noticed they were complaining about silly watts from leader. Settled with 2nd group until after rope bridge when a fe aid us started to dig a little. Bit by bit we dropped riders until there were 3 of us, one of whom was on an aero bike:ohmy: we caught and passed 3 in the way to the volcano putting us in 22-25th place out of 80ish. Taking turns up until then one decided he was off so we chased and stayed with him until the sprint when he pulled away me taking up the rear. It was tough and hurt probably because of the heat.
Saw Carl at 70km on a 3-30m ride:ohmy:

Whorty

A little pootle IRW this morning followed by stage 5 just now on possibly my favourite course. Loft ridiculously hot. 2 fans and 950ml of water/tab and fuelled by a pre ride apple turnover ^_^
Dropped by lead group sharpish then noticed they were complaining about silly watts from leader. Settled with 2nd group until after rope bridge when a fe aid us started to dig a little. Bit by bit we dropped riders until there were 3 of us, one of whom was on an aero bike:ohmy: we caught and passed 3 in the way to the volcano putting us in 22-25th place out of 80ish. Taking turns up until then one decided he was off so we chased and stayed with him until the sprint when he pulled away me taking up the rear. It was tough and hurt probably because of the heat.
Saw Carl at 70km on a 3-30m ride:ohmy:
Yep, I'm feeling a bit rough now. My first 100km on Zwift and bugger, that hurt! Averaged 27.9 kph (17 mph) although power was low. I was trying to spin as much as I could, but every now and then as I tired I was noticing my cadence was dropping and I was grinding more.

Start to the ride not great. Chain dropped as I was logging on and it took me 10 mins to sort it out (it had got itself trapped against the frame). By the time I joined the ZHR ride I was already 6 minutes behind. I could see similar speed riders to me about 5 mins up and I was trying to chase them down so that I could work with them, then at about 38 km both riders bailed! I was pretty much on my todd, except for those times when I was being lapped by the A group boys :B)

Pleased I managed to last 100km on the turbo, total time 3 hrs 35 mins (includes the lost time at the start, plus a few minutes about 2 hours in to top up water and get a nut bar). Pretty good training for the DD.

uclown2002

Guru
Froome is as clean as Mo Farah. It's complete bullshit to go from a nobody to a GC contender at 27 year old; then to be head and shoulders above his rivals; some with a questionable history. He had no pedigree whatsoever prior to his transformation in 2011? Vuelta. Yes I do know about that 'illness' prior to that.
Those that think otherwise are deluded. I don't believe in miracles.

Top Bottom