Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Has anyone ever managed to make a lung bursting break stick on a Zwift race - on the flat in particular?! I've tried it a few times if the pace is a bit slow, in the hope of forming a smaller breakaway group but always get reeled in within a couple of minutes max, with pretty much the whole group drafting each other. The difference in watts needed for a lone rider to stay away from a drafting group is huge. The usual pattern is for people to hammer it up any hills and this tends to gradually reduce the front group as people get dropped on the uphill sprint (often me included!)

Norry1

Legendary Member
I'm creating my own, trying to replicate race scenarios. 10 mins warmup then 60 mins 'racing'. The 'racing' starts with 2 mins at 280 watts, then cruise at 230 for 10 mins. Then add in the odd sprint of 260-280 watts for 30 secs or so, interspersed with cruising sections. Trying to replicate what it's like in a race. Fast start, cruise to hold on to a group, the odd short sprint to say break away, or climb a small lump, then cruise again. As i complete a workout at 100% i'll increase difficulty a smidge and hope i can keep adding in more power.

Just need 30 seconds flat out Sprint at the finish. Oh and maybe crazy first 30 seconds at 300 - 400W

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Breaks that tend to stick are late into the races when everyone or nearly everyone is knackered. Like you said Paul, you need a huge amount of extra watts to outpace the pack

I've bridge across about 30secs once or twice on a flat race, but never got away, or even had the pace to outrun the pack

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Has anyone ever managed to make a lung bursting break stick on a Zwift race - on the flat in particular?! I've tried it a few times if the pace is a bit slow, in the hope of forming a smaller breakaway group but always get reeled in within a couple of minutes max, with pretty much the whole group drafting each other. The difference in watts needed for a lone rider to stay away from a drafting group is huge. The usual pattern is for people to hammer it up any hills and this tends to gradually reduce the front group as people get dropped on the uphill sprint (often me included!)
That's my experience too. Small groups of maybe 4 or 5 you can break away from (if they're all at their limits) but even then it only needs a couple of strong riders in that group and they'll drag the whole group back together again.

Hills is where attacks come from mostly, and where attacks can stick. Flat, as you say, very hard to get any distance.

Whorty

Just need 30 seconds flat out Sprint at the finish. Oh and maybe crazy first 30 seconds at 300 - 400W
For me I need to be in a group away from crazy power sprinters like you as I always get blown away :surrender: I need to be up the road :biggrin:

Norry1

Legendary Member
A bit better but still a way to go :smile:

Kleiner Hugel.JPG

Norry1

Legendary Member
View attachment 430828

A binoculars icon on the left hand side of events indicates its use. KISS are rolling it out initially with SZR now on board. Others may follow in due course.
Red for DQ, Green for upgrade.

Bit of a change. My FTP is 3.1 W/Kg. Does that mean I am now Cat B?

Whorty

View attachment 430828

A binoculars icon on the left hand side of events indicates its use. KISS are rolling it out initially with SZR now on board. Others may follow in due course.
Red for DQ, Green for upgrade.
Interesting that they specifically say "no lower than". This means we could meet up as a group and all start in the same cat, selecting the one of the fastest out of us (or maybe we select A by default for any races we want to ride together).

Top Bottom