Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
If you start early in life with cycling/ running, the body develops huge lung and heart capacity, which carried into later life if you continue with your sport . Starting later in life limits this Heart lung development

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I wonder if it has something to do with Physiology, I'm much better and steady state long distance riding, less so at high intensity intervals, it feels like my legs give out before I run out of breath.

Edit: I mean more along the lines of how much it has to do with Physiology and how much training can have an effect on how easily you can reach max HR.
Same here, my legs have gone long before my breath has gone. Very rarely am I gasping for breath, but very frequently my legs are crying out!

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Owing to the abuses I've put my body through over the last 35 odd years my max HR is quite low, about 150-155. I tend to get there at lower levels of power 180-200w, but higher cadences >95.

I can put out 210-220w, sometimes out to 240 for upto 5 minutes (according to the kickr), at lower cadences 75-85 with a lower HR 135-140. These have all been done on climbs on BRVR. Like this https://www.bigringvr.com/activity.aspx?rideID=44513 :bicycle:

The highest I have recorded, whilst cycling, iirc was 158. In discussions with other riders they have described my heart as a diesel. Loads of grunt at low revs. If I could get the weight down enough that would be a diesel in a saloon car rather that the Box van it currently resides in. :blush:

JuhaL

Guru
How much help legs if i start to focus more pedaling technique like lower gear where i can keep higher cadence speed like 100rpm.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
How much help legs if i start to focus more pedaling technique like lower gear where i can keep higher cadence speed like 100rpm.

For endurance rides it's invaluable in saving legs from fatigue. Also it allows you to accelerate quickly, by just picking up cadence from, say 95rpm to 105rpm.

JuhaL

Guru
For endurance rides it's invaluable in saving legs from fatigue. Also it allows you to accelerate quickly, by just picking up cadence from, say 95rpm to 105rpm.
Indeed. In a long term it gives better performance when your nerve system get use to that faster technique. Zwift workouts gives a good programs to stimulate that. I was just thinking what @si_c said and @Whorty about legs give up before breath has gone and what you can do about it.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Indeed. In a long term it gives better performance when your nerve system get use to that faster technique. Zwift workouts gives a good programs to stimulate that. I was just thinking what @si_c said and @Whorty about legs give up before breath has gone and what you can do about it.
I try to keep cadence between 85 and 95. When i get to 70 the legs fatigue quickly. 60 and the kickr slips :banghead:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I don't even think about cadence. I'd imagine one's most effective cadence is simply one they feel most comfortable at.

I know what you mean about self selecting cadence and for some their cadence is probably high enough not to warrant adjustment. But for those who have a low or unknown cadence and want to first find out and maybe increase to help with leg stress on longer rides.

JuhaL

Guru
I try to keep cadence between 85 and 95. When i get to 70 the legs fatigue quickly. 60 and the kickr slips :banghead:
I know the feeling, i am sitting in a same boat. My cadence is living in a same area as yours. I don't know how much i can improve that in this age anymore even if i try to train it. Anyway i am not gonna participate any competition irl but maybe we can enjoy more cycling if we can improve at least bit of our weaknesses. Winter indoor training gives a good opportunity for that.

si_c

Guru
I know what you mean about self selecting cadence and for some their cadence is probably high enough not to warrant adjustment. But for those who have a low or unknown cadence and want to first find out and maybe increase to help with leg stress on longer rides.
I'd disagree about needing a higher cadence for a longer ride, my cadence drops the longer I ride for as the intensity also drops. My longest ride to date my cadence was around 70, whereas yesterday for the GCN race it was over 100 and commuting it sits around 85-90.

Top Bottom