Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
If I can get back from Work in time, I may do the 6pm SZR Race.

Missed all the fun yesterday, stuck in work :sad:
I'm planning a longer slow recovery ride this afternoon as did a hard training session last night. Then tomorrow night back into workout mode., followed by a longer one again on Friday. Mate coming over to visit on saturday for beer and food, so probably no riding Saturday. Be on again for sure Sunday evening.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...s-baking-why-is-modern-leisure-so-competitive

I found this piece interesting and also quite relevant to our little group here. Often I see posts where people refer to ‘the season’ as though we’re training for a competition. Label rides as ‘training rides, zone two rides, recovery rides etc etc’ to explain why there might be a perceived lack of ‘achievement’. Or look for justifications or dare I say excuses, why we feel we’ve ‘undeperformed’. Not a dig at anyone in particular because I think most of us are guilty of at least one of those things. Just food for thought :smile:

si_c

Guru
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...s-baking-why-is-modern-leisure-so-competitive

I found this piece interesting and also quite relevant to our little group here. Often I see posts where people refer to ‘the season’ as though we’re training for a competition. Label rides as ‘training rides, zone two rides, recovery rides etc etc’ to explain why there might be a perceived lack of ‘achievement’. Or look for justifications or dare I say excuses, why we feel we’ve ‘undeperformed’. Not a dig at anyone in particular because I think most of us are guilty of at least one of those things. Just food for thought :smile:
Possibly, but for me the only person I compete against is myself. I just want to push myself harder to see what I can achieve. I quite enjoy getting out on the bike, and the upside of pushing myself on the trainer / on my commutes is that the longer rides become easier and more pleasurable.

Edit: Thanks for the link, something to read with my coffee this morning!

<Tommy>

Possibly, but for me the only person I compete against is myself. I just want to push myself harder to see what I can achieve. I quite enjoy getting out on the bike, and the upside of pushing myself on the trainer / on my commutes is that the longer rides become easier and more pleasurable.

Edit: Thanks for the link, something to read with my coffee this morning!

Yes definitely read the article. It isn’t a direct critism of anyone here. More of a sociological observation piece. And a reflection on the way we choose to spend our time.

Breedon

Legendary Member

Yes I'm competitive not going to say different, but I'm competitive with my self 99% of the time, I try to beat others but as a way of pushing MY self harder.

Trying to beat Lee is one of my life goals done it once a long long time ago ^_^, but I won't do it if I don't put in the effort, like lose weight which we all struggle with but it's a driving force which is working but I also won't have a chance if I don't become stronger which I'm slowly doing.

So should I just pootle all the time and not overtake other people who may be going slower than me incase it seems like I'm racing them.

<Tommy>

Yes I'm competitive not going to say different, but I'm competitive with my self 99% of the time, I try to beat others but as a way of pushing MY self harder.

Trying to beat Lee is one of my life goals done it once a long long time ago ^_^, but I won't do it if I don't put in the effort, like lose weight which we all struggle with but it's a driving force which is working but I also won't have a chance if I don't become stronger which I'm slowly doing.

So should I just pootle all the time and not overtake other people who may be going slower than me incase it seems like I'm racing them.

Have you read the article Dean? I think you’re missing the point a little. If you have read it are there things specific to it you disagree with?

bobinski

Legendary Member
Tommy lobs existential grenade into CC forum :smile:

I am sure I am not the only one here who has in recent times thought about some of the issues raised in the article. Enforced rest has certainly made me question some personal “whys” and “what fors” as I enjoy the pleaseure of doing pretty much feck all and not bothering to measure it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom