Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I've been meaning to ask you this.

Are all the Zwift workouts out on the road, so that you have other riders avatars around you? I see lots of riders with the 'open book' in front of them, which I read was somebody in workout mode.

I'd be much more tempted to join a Zwift workout plan if this is so. I started one on Bkool and got bored to tears after around 3 weeks, riding against a graph....... it wasn't a lot of fun.
So far all mine have been 'on road' sessions in ERG mode. You get mileage and experience points so can level up as you train. I'm currently up to level 6 with only 2 sessions of free riding the other 6 were training sessions

Last edited:
It wasn’t meant to be a grenade honest! :whistle:. But on reflection I suppose it is a bit of one. Seeing people’s responses is interesting, and perhaps ironically some of the responses reflect the conclusions of the article about changing behaviours. For what it’s worth I don’t think there is any need to justify how seriously you take something to other people. That is something for you to decide. Obsession isn’t generally healthy but you can conclude for yourself where you position yourself on the scale between healthy activity and obsession.

On a side note there have been numerous moments during my time on this forum when people have lined up to say how seriously they do or don’t take their riding. It sometimes reads like a competition in itself to see who can best find the middle ground! ^_^

The article isn’t about cycling specifically but moreover an observation on the changing manner in which we as a society approach things. Strava is used as an example because it allows us to measure our effort and compare it with others. My own response to the article, which people are then reacting too here rather than reading the article... Is that I often see in people’s posts here, and on strava in people’s ride titles, a rhetoric that just simply wasn’t around 10 years ago.

I would suggest you read it rather than second guesssing the general thrust of it though ^_^.
Just read it and agree with it because I've never been competitive. My bike rides have always been solo until last year at the TOC and Berty riding with me to Skegness. I never thought I would enjoy competition but I the Bkool races have added a whole different aspect to cycling.
Thanks for the article.

bobinski

Legendary Member
There are 5 or 6 of us now in C cat all around the same, so really good competition for us too. Weight is slowly (very slowly!) dropping so you faster guys need to keep looking over your shoulders, just in case :boxing:

I will be D cat when I return so will be looking to chase you lot down:okay:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Just read it and agree with it because I've never been competitive. My bike rides have always been solo until last year at the TOC and Berty riding with me to Skegness. I never thought I would enjoy competition but I the Bkool races have added a whole different aspect to cycling.
Thanks for the article.
did i beat you ? :biggrin:

bobinski

Legendary Member
Our very own David Weir. Get yourself a treadmill and racing wheelchair. It'll keep the fitness up and help balance your muscles top to bottom :bicycle:

:biggrin:

No wheelchair for me. Hospital today for a check and confirmed another 4 weeks in the brace:cry: took bandage off and right quad now looks about 2/3rds the size of the left :ohmy:
Tested flexibility of knee and i could bend it fully with no pain for the first time in what must be 2 1/2 years :hyper: but he said while excellent news that didn’t mean I could put load on the joint while the meniscus was healing. In fact he doesn’t want me to do ANY physio for at least 2 more weeks in case I accidentally put load on the joint. So, brace it is for another month. I can’t really complain. I get the impression I am really being looked after. It’s nice :smile: Also it gives Andy time to do a bit more base training so he and I can race in D cat together ;)

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
:biggrin:

No wheelchair for me. Hospital today for a check and confirmed another 4 weeks in the brace:cry: took bandage off and right quad now looks about 2/3rds the size of the left :ohmy:
Tested flexibility of knee and i could bend it fully with no pain for the first time in what must be 2 1/2 years :hyper: but he said while excellent news that didn’t mean I could put load on the joint while the meniscus was healing. In fact he doesn’t want me to do ANY physio for at least 2 more weeks in case I accidentally put load on the joint. So, brace it is for another month. I can’t really complain. I get the impression I am really being looked after. It’s nice :smile: Also it gives Andy time to do a bit more base training so he and I can race in D cat together ;)
:boxing:

did i beat you ? :biggrin:
The really embarrassing thing is not only did you pace me for all that way but turned around and rode back home for way over 100 miles. I did kick your butt on the coffee speed drinking in Boston.

Edit: I'm not giving myself enough credit. I believe I also beat you by several minutes eating lunch in Spaulding.

Last edited:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I've been meaning to ask you this.

Are all the Zwift workouts out on the road, so that you have other riders avatars around you? I see lots of riders with the 'open book' in front of them, which I read was somebody in workout mode.

I'd be much more tempted to join a Zwift workout plan if this is so. I started one on Bkool and got bored to tears after around 3 weeks, riding against a graph....... it wasn't a lot of fun.
Yes, all the workouts are on the road - you can select your workout, then select your course. The 'open books' you see are riders doing a workout.

si_c

Guru
Well that was a disappointing showing in the SVR race at 6, I only managed 3 laps before being totally toasted, I've definitely lost a lot of top end power over the last year or so, I'm ok up to about 300W then I can't sustain it beyond that. I'm going to have to do another FTP test before I start my winter training, as I reckon my FTP has dropped over summer.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
The really embarrassing thing is not only did you pace me for all that way but turned around and rode back home for way over 100 miles. I did kick your butt on the coffee speed drinking in Boston.

Edit: I'm not giving myself enough credit. I believe I also beat you by several minutes eating lunch in Spaulding.
Really enjoyed your company boss !

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
So far all mine have been 'on road' sessions in ERG mode. You get mileage and experience points so can level up as you train. I'm currently up to level 6 with only 2 sessions of free riding the other 6 were training sessions
Join the Everest/Tron Bike challenge, then when you're doing workouts set them on a hilly course and you'll be gaining ascent distance to go towards your Tron challenge :okay:

si_c

Guru
Join the Everest/Tron Bike challenge, then when you're doing workouts set them on a hilly course and you'll be gaining ascent distance to go towards your Tron challenge :okay:
Yeah definitely this, I made the mistake of doing the California challenge as it looked more interesting when I started using Zwift, and I didn't know about the tron bike.

mjd1988

Guru
Yeah definitely this, I made the mistake of doing the California challenge as it looked more interesting when I started using Zwift, and I didn't know about the tron bike.

Ugh i hear that. I'm still doing the california challenge even though apparently its not the best bike by the time you can complete it as you are normally level 13 or 14. I could and should change to everest but too pigheaded.

Interesting read in the guardian; I am innately competitive for no reason, and i think strava and garmins are a godsend for motivation, but probably do take a little of the magic out of say, a long bike ride where you got lost, and stop you just pottering along

Top Bottom