Zwift or Bkool ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
With the weather as bad as it is I would like to make my indoor training more interesting.
Like the idea of these virtual/simulated trainers but would like to hear any opinions of any of the above.
Originally started looking at Zwift but not keen on the idea of riding the same circuit (correct me please if I'm wrong about that).
Can anyone help me out before I splash out on one of these smart trainers ?
Thanks

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Choice of Zwift or Bkool is not dependant on the brand or smart trainer. I use both, but prefer Tacx and Veloreality. :smile:

huwsparky

Über Member
I've been watching YouTube videos with my standard turbo. Plenty on there varying in workout time and type.

You can get various routes on Zwift but I think you have to pay... It looks good from what I can see but don't really want to invest in sitting in the garage on an exercise bike!

kipster

Guru
I mainly run on Bkool but do a zwift ride every now and again.

They are different. Zwift currently has two courses and some training plans based on the courses. It's good for mass group rides and social.

Bkool is my preferred, but I have been using it for two years. I like the range of videos and 3D rides, the leagues are good as are the group rides. There are a healthy number of participants in a couple of cyclechat leagues (mountain goats, mountain mooses, cyclechat chain gang and the top 100 climbs). The chain gang races every Thursday, approx 20 to 30 riders, all abilities.

I believe the organised rides on zwift are good, I haven't joined any. The great thing is with the right turbo you can try both and make your own decision based on what you want from a turbo. I like climbs, they hurt, but there aren't any on zwift, by climbs I mean Alpe d'Huez, something that will take me about an hour.

Some people have issues with some non Bkool smart turbos on the Bkool software, mainly on descents. There is a massive thread on cyclechat (start on the last page and work back otherwise it'll take you months to read all 614 pages...)
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/team-bkool-cyclechat.144689/page-614

Fisheh

Just started on Zwift, you get 50km free to try. Please bear in mind I'm very green but you don't even notice the track. The main part of the game is drafting and group rides, it's so addictive ,the twice I have been on it is all most impossible to cool down because as soon as someone passes you are straight back at them . I can fully understand the health warning at the start. It works well with manual trainers as well , your game speed is related to power so to maintain speed uphill you have to work harder.
With premium Strava you allso get two free months every year .

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
The bkool one is approx £160 and the resistance is adjusted when you up your speed. Not sure whether this would have the right effect whilst in the simulation though. You can however use the 'one' as a plain old stationary trainer if you wanted.
I also like the idea of uploading a route that iv done on strava to the bkool

kipster

Guru
The bkool one is approx £160 and the resistance is adjusted when you up your speed. Not sure whether this would have the right effect whilst in the simulation though. You can however use the 'one' as a plain old stationary trainer if you wanted.
I also like the idea of uploading a route that iv done on strava to the bkool

I don't think the Bkool one alters the resistance on the roller, you need the 'classic' or 'pro' for that. The pro was on offer at sigma sport on Friday. The classic was on offer direct from Bkool, on their Facebook page I think.

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I don't think the Bkool one alters the resistance on the roller, you need the 'classic' or 'pro' for that. The pro was on offer at sigma sport on Friday. The classic was on offer direct from Bkool, on their Facebook page I think.
Thats right the 'one' changes its resistance as you go faster or slower (think it's called resistance curve or something like that). ....nothing to do with the gradient on the simulation

Lars_engstrum

Sorry to say it as I kind of enjoyed the group rides on my Vortex?
The guys in here are pretty cool and the smart trainer advice on here is pretty special?
I think I have now tried out all the competing software formats over the last two weeks. Rock on suspension from work.
The ultimate realisation from this exhaustive research Is.
Tacx Vortex and the cycleops vt software is head if not a little bit of shoulder above the rest.
Splendid vr experience, polished software both mobile and pc with excellent integration with the website. The trainer control is as realistic as I would want, smooth professional videos. Superb and free relations with Google earth and street view.
If as I have mentioned in a water boarding manner many times before.
If bkool had involved an equality between trainers then I would have not had to do any further research and would have quite happily signed the agreement rather than removed my card details.
Try out the free offers and if you find something that suits us better then please inform.
Lars P. Engstrum

Top Bottom