Zwift pace, incredible.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hello,
The other day I invested in a Stages SB20 and Zwift to keep fit ready for the summer. But so far it's pretty hard going, even on the lowest level. Something seems a little odd.
In a sportive I can usually finish an average halfway but just to keep up in a D race (beginner) I'm finding I have to maintain something like 27 Kms and around 180 watts just to keep up. Seems a little excessive for beginners. In my second race out of 40 riders I was second last.
Could there be something I'm missing? As an ex hooker I'm around 100kgs so maybe I need lose some weight!

Last edited:
Zwift races are pretty intense, and 180Watts/100kg is 1.8W/kg. Cat D goes up to 2.4W/kg if I recall correctly so that explains it somewhat.
Try joining a category-enforced race if possible, where overpowered riders get automatically 'sandbagged' by the system. Also, register for and check the results on zwiftpower.com as that will filter out many riders too and may cheer you up!

Ultimately though, the secret to going faster is indeed to put out more w/kg :smile: and Zwift racing is a brilliant HIIT session!

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Welcome to Zwift! It probably goes without saying, but some of the races are more competitive than others, so don’t be disheartened.

Zwift races start HARD (I’ll usually be looking to put down 400-500W over the first 30s, just to stay towards the top end of the bunch), but they usually settle down. Try to stay in the draft, so you’re not putting in any more effort than necessary.

While you’re beginning, choose races to suit your strengths. I’d suggest doing flat, short events so that you get a high-intensity workout and don’t have to slog around for ages if/when you get dropped. On the other hand, as your raw watts increase and you shift some weight, your improvement will be greatest on the hilly courses, which is a bonus.

Keep up Z2 work too!

As a big guy, you’ve got a massive advantage that you won’t be upgraded to C cat until your FTP is around 250W. By that time, you’ll be able to cruise through the races and unleash winning sprints.

There’s a thread here with plenty of Zwifty banter and advice. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/zwift-bkool-splitter-chat.215190/

Joffey

Big Dosser
Hello,
The other day I invested in a Stages SB20 and Zwift to keep fit ready for the summer. But so far it's pretty hard going, even on the lowest level. Something seems a little odd.
In a sportive I can usually finish an average halfway but just to keep up in a D race (beginner) I'm finding I have to maintain something like 27 Kms and around 180 watts just to keep up. Seems a little excessive for beginners. In my second race out of 40 riders I was second last.
Could there be something I'm missing? As an ex hooker I'm around 100kgs so maybe I need lose some weight!

It’s got to do with loads of different factors. I’m an ‘upper D’ if there is such a thing, if I race I tend to podium. But I am heavy, like 110kg… but I have quite a bit of power so tend to feature at the head of the races.

On flat courses Zwift can tend to favour heavier and more powerful riders as the races are pretty short (sub 1 hour).

Remember that in Zwift there is no wind and lots of people to draft. Stick at it, learn your race craft (sitting in the pack, saving your energy) and remember Zwift racing is about short surges and recovering quickly. The more races you do the better you will become.

The more you do the more your power will increase and you’ll be bossing the Ds soon enough. Being heavier can be an advantage in the flat races too so don’t let that put you off.

We have a specific sub-forum on here for Zwift - have a look and say hello!

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Just keep at it .I started zwifting 18 months ago and found it hard ,there is definitely a bit of how to play the game which just comes with experience. Have a look at some group rides the ' Pack ' are good they ride at set w/kg and have big groups . Bigger groups have more draft making it easier to hang on .
I started racing with a C team from this forum and was regularly at the back but now after a year I can hold my own but stil just get in the top half of a good field
Just keep at it and enjoy it for what it is

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
No, not yet. It's on my list.
Definitely a very useful tool. You can have a look at the numbers, power curves and even entire .fit files of all other competitors; take a deep dive into what you did right and wrong.

Hit us all up on the 'main' Zwift thread: here. Some of us race, but not everyone. All shapes, sizes and age groups; lots of good advice and sledging ;)

CXRAndy

Guru
Zwift racing is tougher than most people realise. I'm a big fella too, came back to Zwift 18 months ago. Started in D cat, moved into C, my traditional level. Now top 20% of C for flat type events.

Stick at it, hit the starts hard, hang on for as long as you can. Yes you might get dropped, but after a while, you will finish in the main pack.

Also as @Legs suggests, do 80% of your riding at Z2 pace for endurance. But it works wonders for giving you power in short races

Ps I have an SB20 also

Last edited:
Top Bottom