Zwift set up help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peanut_77

Hi,
I have recently bought a CycleOps 2 fluid trainer and would like to get onto Zwift however I’m a little unsure as to what kit I need, ive done a little bit of research.

I have an old PC in the loft which is about 10 years old & a lap top which is also reasonably old which never gets used would these work or would the software be outdated, unfortunately my daughter has my Mac book at university so won’t be able to link to Ant+ however I have about 4 iPads from mini to air which would work on IOS however I’m totally confused with what Kit is compatible and what’s the reliability like on Bluetooth? I’m thinking of getting a Wahoo speed and cadence sensor which I believe is Bluetooth compatible, would this be the best option or get a cheap PC or laptop with the correct software.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks
Peanut

CXRAndy

Guru
A speed and cadence with ant+ and Bluetooth protocol- wahoo good :smile:. You could then use these and iPad. Zwift will treat the trainer as a (virtual power) trainer, apply a power curve with the help of the speed and cadence signals. Should work quite well but have no variable resistance that a Smart power meter trainer eg Kickr, Neo, Elite.

See here
https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/...trainers-does-Zwift-support-?mobile_site=true

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Peanut_77

A speed and cadence with ant+ and Bluetooth protocol- wahoo good :smile:. You could then use these and iPad. Zwift will treat the trainer as a dumb(virtual) trainer, apply a power curve with the help of the speed and cadence signals. Should work quite well but have no variable resistance that a Smart power meter trainer eg Kickr, Neo, Elite.
Have you any experience of Bluetooth on Zwift? I’m aware of the resistance issue on a dumb trainer rather than a smart power trainer, if I continue through the winter nights on this and it’s as good as everyone says then I might treat myself to one next year. Cheers

CXRAndy

Guru
Have you any experience of Bluetooth on Zwift? I’m aware of the resistance issue on a dumb trainer rather than a smart power trainer, if I continue through the winter nights on this and it’s as good as everyone says then I might treat myself to one next year. Cheers

No my setup is all Ant+ with a Kickr. Zwift says it's works. Don't have other Bluetooth kit near by which might interfere.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I use Bluetooth exclusively. My trainer, hrm, and headphones all sync to my MacBook when training and it’s faultless.

I honestly don’t understand why people faff about with ANT+ dongles and signal issues. Bluetooth is rock solid, assuming that the devices are good quality. If you’re using an iPad and wahoo sensor you won’t have any problems.

CXRAndy

Guru
Getting a ant+ with Bluetooth speed and cadence is the cheapest and best way to start. When you upgrade to a fully smart trainer using a cadence sensor is also very useful. Wahoo also do Bluetooth/ant+ heart rate monitor- the Tickr

OP
OP
P

Peanut_77

Cheers fellas, I’ve ordered the wahoo speed and cadence sensors and will use with my iPad. Looking forward to giving Zwift a good run out.

Cheers
Peanut

rather than create a new post can I add on to this one?
Want to use Zwift (or try it anyway).
I have a cycle ops fluid trainer (non-smart),
I have 1 year old laptop, ipad, apple tv, smart tv.
Even have a bike with a funky blue tyre for indoor use which has garmin speed+cadence sensors and I have garmin HRM.
Am I good to go?

CXRAndy

Guru
Do you have a ant+ usb adaptor, if so you're good to go?

that's the one thing I don't have, think I have a ANT usb adaptor which came with a freebie fitbit force I got back in 2014 but don't believe its ANT+, assume that's no good?
So if I buy an Ant+ adaptor then I'm good to go, excellent.
Thank you CXRAndy
Just need the lungs and the legs then, any websites you can buy them on?

Top Bottom