Zwift speed wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sasquath

I was aiming for 40mph(~64kph) achievement. Rode up volcano, and on the way down pushed 500+ watts on 10% downhill bit.
My speed went up from 56 kph @ 300W on 4% downslope to 59 kph @550-700w on 10% downslope...
700w was only 5 sec peak but I managed to keep it above 550 watts entire steep section.

WTF?
Is there speed limit for basic bike or lvl 4 rider?
Or is it that I forgot to pair my cadence sensors?

Dolorous Edd

I managed to keep it above 550 watts entire steep section.

good effort ^_^

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
You should try it on the descent from the radio tower, it's possible to hit over 100Kmh going down there, but I have only managed 98! ... must eat more pies :laugh::laugh::laugh:

bridgy

Legendary Member
I was aiming for 40mph(~64kph) achievement. Rode up volcano, and on the way down pushed 500+ watts on 10% downhill bit.
My speed went up from 56 kph @ 300W on 4% downslope to 59 kph @550-700w on 10% downslope...
700w was only 5 sec peak but I managed to keep it above 550 watts entire steep section.

WTF?
Is there speed limit for basic bike or lvl 4 rider?
Or is it that I forgot to pair my cadence sensors?
There's no speed limit, and that does sound a bit odd what you've described above. I did a race last night on Figure of 8 course and hit 69.5kph downhill, but that was at zero watts as I was freewheeling, making use of the "supertuck" which gives you speed equivalent of doing around 3w/kg I believe. So I'm surprised you wouldn't increase your speed significantly more than you did. Are you using a smart trainer or power meter?

OP
OP
S

sasquath

There's no speed limit, and that does sound a bit odd what you've described above. I did a race last night on Figure of 8 course and hit 69.5kph downhill, but that was at zero watts as I was freewheeling, making use of the "supertuck" which gives you speed equivalent of doing around 3w/kg I believe. So I'm surprised you wouldn't increase your speed significantly more than you did. Are you using a smart trainer or power meter?
Smart trainer, thinkrider X5 neo.
What was odd that my avatar wasn't tucked in, just sitting up and slowly turning over.
Maybe it was lack of cadence input then?
Zwift did log my 5s max power at 695 watts during that descent.
I'll have a go at radio tower as soon as I regain ability to walk or ride:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
What was odd that my avatar wasn't tucked in, just sitting up and slowly turning over.
Your avatar won't go into supertuck in descents unless you're not pedalling at all (i.e no watts) and the descent is -3% or more, and you're going over 58kph.

I can't see that the cadence would affect your speed so I don't think it's that

bridgy

Legendary Member
I'll have a go at radio tower as soon as I regain ability to walk or ride:rolleyes:
Also, that trainer has its own built in cadence sensor so that should be transmitted to Zwift automatically

OP
OP
S

sasquath

Also, that trainer has its own built in cadence sensor so that should be transmitted to Zwift automatically
No, it doesn't have build in cadence sensor, it's sold in bundle with crank mounted sensor and other bits. Maybe x7 or old X5 had it.

I'm using my bontrager duo trap, but forgot to connect for this session.

bridgy

Legendary Member
No, it doesn't have build in cadence sensor, it's sold in bundle with crank mounted sensor and other bits. Maybe x7 or old X5 had it.

I'm using my bontrager duo trap, but forgot to connect for this session.
Oh right, apologies I just looked it up and saw it on the specs - yours must be a slightly different spec as you say

steverob

Guru
The Volcano KOM isn't really steep enough to get a good speed on the descent apart from the very first section. If you really want to set speed records, the best ones to do it on are coming down the Radio Tower as already mentioned, or the downhill after the Bologna TT.

OP
OP
S

sasquath

The Volcano KOM isn't really steep enough to get a good speed on the descent apart from the very first section. If you really want to set speed records, the best ones to do it on are coming down the Radio Tower as already mentioned, or the downhill after the Bologna TT.
I managed to get to 40.9 mph on volcano descent, but on the longer 6% part of it, pushing 700W. The 10% at very top is just too short.
Radio tower is murderous, especially when you race up it. I was so deflated I only managed 91km/h on the way down.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Are you very tall and very light? I’m 72kg and 6’3” and only managed 100km/h by coming down Bologna with a sprint at 1000W+.

If you go in for that kind of thing, dropping an aero power-up will help you.

Top Bottom